Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I got a "free" ship from the AMD Games coupon that came with my new video card. I don't know when I get access to it, though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No. I'm sure a lot of Eve players will play it, but it's very different from Eve. Eve has one of the best implementations of a living breathing galaxy, Star Citizen is focusing on smaller gameplay with instancing, combat, roleplaying and spending your paycheck on ships.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That stuff might change due to the scope of their game has crept up above 9000. Those were the original design docs though.

Vitality

HUSTLE
No. I'm sure a lot of Eve players will play it, but it's very different from Eve. Eve has one of the best implementations of a living breathing galaxy, Star Citizen is focusing on smaller gameplay with instancing, combat, roleplaying and spending your paycheck on ships.
This sounds terrible

spronk

FPS noob
I got a "free" ship from the AMD Games coupon that came with my new video card. I don't know when I get access to it, though.
supposed to be around sept 30th according to some people on other forums. i got this too, what exactly do we get from the AMD offer vs a kickstarter person? Either way a really sweet deal for $1, also got Alien Isolation preorder.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Not sure, but I had to pick 3 games and there wasn't much else I was interested in. I did read, however, that the AMD offer is not a key for the "full game".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That stuff might change due to the scope of their game has crept up above 9000. Those were the original design docs though.
Yeah maybe. I think the vision for Star Citizen is going to be very instanced and multiplayer optional though. Honestly I'd love if they redid Eve with a better combat system and engine. I always wanted to play it but can't stand games that have combat I don't enjoy.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah maybe. I think the vision for Star Citizen is going to be very instanced and multiplayer optional though. Honestly I'd love if they redid Eve with a better combat system and engine. I always wanted to play it but can't stand games that have combat I don't enjoy.
I'm with you on this one Tuco, I'd put a pretty substantial amount of money into this game if it incorporated more of EVE into it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What they should do is make each star system hosted like a FPS dedicated server. And then let the admins establish links between servers, and limit the number of links.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
supposed to be around sept 30th according to some people on other forums. i got this too, what exactly do we get from the AMD offer vs a kickstarter person? Either way a really sweet deal for $1, also got Alien Isolation preorder.
The AMD codes will give you a ship (the Mustang) and an exclusive skin for the Mustang that isnt acquirable anywhere else. You also get access to the Arena Commander module which is the dogfighting stuff as well as the Murray Cup ship racing module (but I dont believe the Mustang will be one of the ships playable for the racing module). Pledging/kickstarting at this point just lets you buy different ships that you will have when the persistent universe starts.

Variise

N00b
I guess I'm the resident Space Marshal (just over 7k in) so I'll take any of your flak or questions if you wish.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean, space-combat with other ships, then grappling them and fighting your way in, FPS-style? That 's like 3 games in one. Not even talking about Planetside gameplay and the whole Economy thing. Stilll intrigued though.
As if it wasnt evident by the last few posts, people want that. I want to play in a vibrant, living universe that allows me to do just that. Something that was in the original plans for SW;TOR before they realized the engine shit all over that idea. I dont think Star Citizen is going to answer that call, but I can tell you that I sure as hell will be sucked up by it and fired from my job if a game like that ever does come out.

Hell, Eve had plans to do just that and they got greedy and saw it through your glasses as well. People look at that FPS with a big pile of "meh" now. Full integration of that FPS into EVE would have brought me back to that game in a heart beat. Just so many possibilities from just a combination of Eve and a FPS. Or hell, maybe even combat with an Anarchy Online kind of theme. That stuff just sounds exciting to me.

satael

Silver Squire
I guess I'm the resident Space Marshal (just over 7k in) so I'll take any of your flak or questions if you wish.
Are you hoping to somehow make money (or atleast recover a significant part of your 7k) at some point or do you think that the game will be so great it's worth that much (like $100/month for over 5 years) ?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Are you hoping to somehow make money (or atleast recover a significant part of your 7k) at some point or do you think that the game will be so great it's worth that much (like $100/month for over 5 years) ?
Maybe he's just ballin', dude.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
As if it wasnt evident by the last few posts, people want that. I want to play in a vibrant, living universe that allows me to do just that. Something that was in the original plans for SW;TOR before they realized the engine shit all over that idea. I dont think Star Citizen is going to answer that call, but I can tell you that I sure as hell will be sucked up by it and fired from my job if a game like that ever does come out.
Elite: Dangerous also is thinking about ship boarding and such. They are also, in my opinion, taking a much smarter approach to their game then Star Citizen (plus so far E:D seem far more capable of delivering on their promises). Instead of trying to cram all these modules into the game before release E:D will be releasing the base game and then adding to it expansion style after that.

Variise

N00b
You've paid 7000 dollars for a video game?
I know someone who spent $4,500 on a semi-custom rifle not long ago. We all have a button that makes money come out. For some it's a rifle for others its drugs or tits and pussy. The list is endless.

That isn't even the full amount I spent on digital goods in the past six or so years. I think that's roughly at 8k spread over a half dozen different games. Most of them were not worth it and I don't believe I got my money's worth. I know what you are thinking and I'm thinking the same thing. Will I ever learn. I guess we will find out in early 2016.

Look you can rationalize spending money on anything. It's all relative to your own context. You can take money spent on cars/boats/entertainment systems/travel and make it look damning. Hell try and rationalize spending 15k on a kitchen upgrade (this is modest) where 10k of that is a granite counter (unless you did that right before a sale). Or someone spending 10k on a boat and another 20k on a truck (both used) just so they can go fishing a dozen times in a year. I know a friend who has spent about 50k on audio equipment (cheap if you knew the cost of most pro hardware/software) that he uses to craft music.

Here is my context: I quit all but one game where you can spend real money on digital goods and scaled that back to virtually nothing. I don't drink or smoke, I have no boat/car (can't drive due to medical condition), don't own a house, have no family or any dependents. I'm paid decently and not going to starve. Unlike most of my friends who are 50-150k in the hole I owe nothing on credit cards, student loans or loan sharks. My gambling addiction starts/ends at the weekly office lottery pool. On a side note I would never have done this if I had a SO or a kid and don't plan to ever spend this much on digital goods ever again. The pinata is almost empty.

Ok so that's the context. So why?

I started off with $65 in way back at the start and thought that was risky even on a game from Chris Roberts. I badly wanted to see a real space sim / adventure game and wasn't quite sure what we would get but took a leap of faith. I back other kickstarter projects but those all come in under $100 and the average is probably closer to $40. I then ignored the game for a year and by the time I came back to it we have speed past the original funding goal to fully fund the game. The scope of the game started to crystallize and that's when I realized it might be possible to achieve something I always dreamed of in a game but could never hope for since the game industry tanked quality wise years ago. I do seriously regret giving them (EA and others) money. Anyway I carefully came up with what I wished for which was a fleet to command and when the limited ship sales came up I spent what I spent. Now part of that is real goods like mouse pads and towels and stuff. I give a lot of gifts out to my friends for xmas from their store but most of it is still ships. I'm in FORGE, some may know us from WoT and other games, and the org and my friends will be staffing my fleet.

Look I realize all of this can go sideways and I can get burnt again. Unlike the people on the forums who put up threads and have the occasional group cry over the state of the game I walked into this with both eye open. I have real world expectations about the game development process and can see the game taking until early to mid 2016 to launch at the earliest. I'm still not quite done spending money on it. When I started I expected to spend money on ship upgrades and I'm only partly done with that but most of the more expensive ships are still to come. Unlike a lot of people I won't be spending real money on the game when it launches. I have done that already. To make money in game I will be renting out some of my ships and use that to fund the rest. The rest of my real money is going towards a new sim chair/HOTAS monitors and a new computer. If you think spending 7k on a video game is a lot wait until you see how much it costs for a sim setup and new computer.

But hey I don't look down on frugal people who have piles of cash in the bank and count every penny. It's all relative in what you want out of life.

Variise

N00b
It's not impossible to recover my cash if I wanted to break the TOS on other games I used to play like WoT and EVE. I could easily get 4-5k from those two alone. I was never that adventurous to try something like that. Same went for EQ and WoW.

Now if I had a life emergency I would say fuck it all and had a fire sale. I could easily come up with way more than I ever spent on those games or at the very least get my money back.

I would like to believe that the money spent is worth it but we simply won't know until the PU Beta has had time to breath late next year at the earliest. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just kidding themselves. But I have to say it's hard to stay objective when they release stuff like Murray Cup and the exploration trailer with the Constellation. Those are things I dreamed of doing especially the exploration. That's a massive chip on people's shoulders not just mine. I honestly don't know how they can deliver on it. I know their long term goals but even just having an ME1 style exploration system at the start is enough to make me happy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How much savings do you have, not including ira/401k accounts? Do you feel like spending $7000 on an unreleased video game will improve your enjoyment of the game when it comes out? Or do you feel like you want to play the game so badly but you can't yet and the closest thing to playing it is buying ships?