Star Trek 4:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I like all the star trek movies, including the new pew pew space adventures. Also galaxy quest remains a movie that I watch whenever I see it playing, no matter what the fuck is happening around me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
only tangentially related but there is a Galaxy Quest documentary coming out, its screening via fathom events this upcoming tuesday at 7pm at a few theaters. A really bizarre day and time, and only the shitty theaters around me so i'll just wait for the VOD
if i see it one of the "usual places" i'll send you a pm.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Galaxy Quest documentary is by the Fandom/Screen Junkies people, really should support them by paying for it if you want to watch it.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
they needed to lighten up Star Trek 4 after ST 3 ended on such a down note. it breathed new life into the franchise and then they snuffed that right out again with the next film. though Space Jesus gets better every year.

I'm just curious if any of it was budget related? I mean, it had to be pretty cheap to film most of it in modern day San Francisco instead of hours of space sets ???

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like the only person that enjoyed Insurrection. I thought it was a good movie

• 2Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Am I the only one who thinks they fucked up by not using Intergalatic?

It's a callback to that terrible opening scene in the first film where kid Kirk steals his stepdad's car and speeds off a cliff while Sabotage plays.

But picking a different Beastie Boys song might have been amusing as well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm just curious if any of it was budget related? I mean, it had to be pretty cheap to film most of it in modern day San Francisco instead of hours of space sets ???
i think they had the cash, but they had to change things up and time travel was the thing back then. who knows

Chris

Potato del Grande
It would have made for an amazing two-part episode. It was really damn weak as a movie though
There's an episode that's exactly the same but Picard doesn't disobey orders and it's Wesley that insurrects.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
BH though, and this will be an unpopular opinion, I didn't even like TNG the TV show. Every character was a boring diversity hire cliche, and most of the episodes were about intergalactic feelz. The Borg was the only saving story arc.

Imho, it's TOS, then Voyager, Deep Space Nine, then Enterprise, then TNG.
download.png

My nickname for Voyager's captain has been Den Mom Janeway for as long as I can recall. Voyager's proximity to the Borg and Species 8472, before they turned them into lame ass mimics, saved the show for me. That and some of the doctor's episodes when he wasn't giving those tiresome romance lessons to 7 of 9.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

There's an episode that's exactly the same but Picard doesn't disobey orders and it's Wesley that insurrects.

It like, yeah, was an episode... Federation hiding in the hills watching and something happens... just no worf zit and trio's firm tit jokes.

The TNG movies all suffered from "bout dat data!" Syndrom... I hope Picard does not lead too much on him

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Having just recently re-watched these in the past few weeks, one thing that stood out to me in these movies is that the "enterprise" was kinda missing in all of them. In the OG series the enterprise was there through thick and thin, while in these movies it was destroyed in like every single movie. Just a thought...

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

star trek female writers.png

I don't care about the gender of the writers right up until it's being framed as a selling point. This is just one news blurb so it's whatever but if we are constantly hearing about female writers female writers female writers that's not a great sign.

edit - Geneva Robertson-Dworet wrote Captain Marvel. Beer's writing credits look to be nothing? She's attached to some decent looking things in per-production or that have been announced but I have no idea how she landed those gigs.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
View attachment 362344

I don't care about the gender of the writers right up until it's being framed as a selling point. This is just one news blurb so it's whatever but if we are constantly hearing about female writers female writers female writers that's not a great sign.

edit - Geneva Robertson-Dworet wrote Captain Marvel. Beer's writing credits look to be nothing? She's attached to some decent looking things in per-production or that have been announced but I have no idea how she landed those gigs.
this is where the Star Trek brand is at. you know there will be a female captain and claim it was the first woman captain and she broke all the glass celings from sexist star trek beurocracy to get where she is. the plot will be focused around an evil white man who is planning on destroying a planet's(Earth) climate and needs to be stopped. blah blah blah, the script writes itself. nobody cares anymore because Star Trek has been dead for a long time now.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
this is where the Star Trek brand is at. you know there will be a female captain and claim it was the first woman captain and she broke all the glass celings from sexist star trek beurocracy to get where she is. the plot will be focused around an evil white man who is planning on destroying a planet's(Earth) climate and needs to be stopped. blah blah blah, the script writes itself. nobody cares anymore because Star Trek has been dead for a long time now.
They cannot do this because Star Trek world is based around a society that has went through all that and finally reached its utopia. In other words sexism, racism and all the other isms dont exist anymore.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They cannot do this because Star Trek world is based around a society that has went through all that and finally reached its utopia. In other words sexism, racism and all the other isms dont exist anymore.
-laughs in clownworld where your sexist canon no longer exists.

there used to be 13 doctors in Doctor Who as well.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm guessing you didn't watch Picard.

I envy you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users