Star Trek 4:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If they don't add
jay.png

Jaylah to the main cast now that Anton Yelchin is dead and they've got an open slot they don't know what the fuck they're doing. She was a big part of why the last one was watchable. Plenty of time has gone by for her to have gone to Star Fleet and for Kirk to have requested her transfer to the Enterprise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
This makes me realize I dont even remember anything from the last one, it was that forgettable, and I can remember shit from the first motion picture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nope. It's the next installment of the jj movies.

Yeah there was a good video on why this franchise is "unstoppable" in a development sense.

If I find it ill post it. Basically sums up why we will keep getting Star Trek movies regardless of development hell, lack of lead actors, or commercial success.

It has a lot to do with Bad Robot I'm fairly sure but I'm hazy on it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Trek into Darkness was awful but the third one was a perfectly acceptable space adventure. I'm fine getting more of that.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
they aren't star trek films they're reskinned action comedies.

• 7Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Trek into Darkness was awful but the third one was a perfectly acceptable space adventure. I'm fine getting more of that.
Pretty much this. Beyond wasn't a bad movie but Into Darkness was real, real bad.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
they aren't star trek films they're reskinned action comedies.

Inflation adjusted one of if not the most successful Star Trek films is The Voyage Home. Compared to Star Trek : The (Slow) Motion Picture and the heavy themes of Wrath of Khan it bears little similarities beyond the cast. Star Trek can be and has been a lot of different things.

Just one joke after another.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Inflation adjusted one of if not the most successful Star Trek films is The Voyage Home. Compared to Star Trek : The (Slow) Motion Picture and the heavy themes of Wrath of Khan it bears little similarities beyond the cast. Star Trek can be and has been a lot of different things.

Just one joke after another.
Some people will just never be happy unless anything to do with Star Trek is some kind of parable.

• 1Dislike

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they needed to lighten up Star Trek 4 after ST 3 ended on such a down note. it breathed new life into the franchise and then they snuffed that right out again with the next film. though Space Jesus gets better every year.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
All the new Star Trek's are shit. Not Star Wars level of abomination, and not Discovery levels of heresy, but pretty close.

It's Star Trek for the ADHD generation-- capital ships that maneuver like Tie fighters, enough lens flare to induce a seizure, and cheesy humor. But blowing up Vulcan and turning Spock into a lovestruck Emo was the final straw for me.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
All the new Star Trek's are shit. Not Star Wars level of abomination, and not Discovery levels of heresy, but pretty close.

It's Star Trek for the ADHD generation-- capital ships that maneuver like Tie fighters, enough lens flare to induce a seizure, and cheesy humor. But blowing up Vulcan and turning Spock into a lovestruck Emo was the final straw for me.

After the awful, horrendous shit that was Star Trek Nemesis (and to a lesser extent Insurrection) I was fine with what JJ did with the reboot. It's still really dumb at spots but at least it didn't have Troi getting mind raped and "you'd have been a monster too if our situations were reversed" theme as our villain drags a spear through his own guts to prove a point.

Goddamn those later Next Gen films are unpleasant. Also Generations. Everything except First Contact. That one's alright.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
After the awful, horrendous shit that was Star Trek Nemesis (and to a lesser extent Insurrection) I was fine with what JJ did with the reboot. It's still really dumb at spots but at least it didn't have Troi getting mind raped and "you'd have been a monster too if our situations were reversed" theme as our villain drags a spear through his own guts to prove a point.

Goddamn those later Next Gen films are unpleasant. Also Generations. Everything except First Contact. That one's alright.

All the Next Generation movies except for First Contact sucked as well, but for different reasons. They sucked because they had shitty scripts and characters rather than shitting on the canon, which these remakes do. TBH though, and this will be an unpopular opinion, I didn't even like TNG the TV show. Every character was a boring diversity hire cliche, and most of the episodes were about intergalactic feelz. The Borg was the only saving story arc. While I can point to at least a few characters in each series that I liked (like the Doctor, 7of9, T'pol) I can't think of one TNG character that didn't make me cringe. Maybe Riker.

Imho, it's TOS, then Voyager, Deep Space Nine, then Enterprise, then TNG.

For movies, it's ST: II, then VI, then IV, then I. V and III were garbage.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sevens

Log Wizard
All the Next Generation movies except for First Contact sucked as well, but for different reasons. They sucked because they had shitty scripts and characters rather than shitting on the canon, which these remakes do. TBH though, and this will be an unpopular opinion, I didn't even like TNG the TV show. Every character was a boring diversity hire cliche, and most of the episodes were about intergalactic feelz. The Borg was the only saving story arc. While I can point to at least a few characters in each series that I liked (like the Doctor, 7of9, T'pol) I can't think of one TNG character that didn't make me cringe. Maybe Riker.

Imho, it's TOS, then Voyager, Deep Space Nine, then Enterprise, then TNG.

For movies, it's ST: II, then VI, then IV, then I. V and III were garbage.
Voyager was the worst dumpster fire shit stack to ever be called Star Trek, god I hated that show and Janeway needs to die in a fire

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Voyager was the worst dumpster fire shit stack to ever be called Star Trek, god I hated that show and Janeway needs to die in a fire

Voyager I'll always consider the biggest disappointment of the entire franchise. It could have been good. It had a handful of episodes that showed you that it could have really been something. I think it takes as long as the third episode of the first season to have a "Will They Get Home" Lost in Space style plot? A plot they would recycle over and over and over again? They mashed the goddamn reset button every other episode on that show and barely let anyone have any character development ever. When it came time to fire someone to make way for Jerry Ryan they ditch Kes because why keep someone capable when you can keep Neelix which everyone hated.

The show gets a little better if you view it through the lens of Janeway being ever more psychologically wrecked as it goes on culminating upon her declaration that space exploration isn't worth the risk as the series is coming to a close.

spronk

FPS noob
only tangentially related but there is a Galaxy Quest documentary coming out, its screening via fathom events this upcoming tuesday at 7pm at a few theaters. A really bizarre day and time, and only the shitty theaters around me so i'll just wait for the VOD