Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the real shame of these movies is the casting of the main crew is actually fantastic and it's been thrown away on garbage writing. I would watch the fuck out of a series with them in it and I haven't had cable in over a decade. A lot of the best writing of TOS/TNG/DS9 was dealing with social issues and commentary and humanity in general. Then you go to Voyager which is about random dice rolls happening every week with uninspired characters (mostly), and Enterprise which fell to the fact that is was a prequel and can't really do THAT much because of established cannon already.

A TV series with the new cast would potentially run into the same problem: Can't just reshoot all the old episodes one by one, can't ride a lot of the same ideas that were big at the time. But there's plenty of new topics to tackle and plenty of talent in the cast to do it. Of course you could never fund a TV show filled with movie actors, either.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the real shame of these movies is the casting of the main crew is actually fantastic and it's been thrown away on garbage writing. I would watch the fuck out of a series with them in it and I haven't had cable in over a decade. A lot of the best writing of TOS/TNG/DS9 was dealing with social issues and commentary and humanity in general. Then you go to Voyager which is about random dice rolls happening every week with uninspired characters (mostly), and Enterprise which fell to the fact that is was a prequel and can't really do THAT much because of established cannon already.

A TV series with the new cast would potentially run into the same problem: Can't just reshoot all the old episodes one by one, can't ride a lot of the same ideas that were big at the time. But there's plenty of new topics to tackle and plenty of talent in the cast to do it. Of course you could never fund a TV show filled with movie actors, either.
I wouldn't say never. GOT did it, but I get your point. I think what Star Trek really needs is a new tv series that takes place after TNG. Get some of the same writers from TNG, have some of the characters from TNG make guest appearances, and move the Star Trek universe forward. Then hopefully make some good movies once the new show is well established.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Making a post-TNG show is harder now with the dumb reboot movies existing. You have to convince investors/studios/whatever that it can succeed after 2 panned series in a row and now a (moderately) successful reboot movie series that would be ignored entirely. I am all for it though.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If they could convince some investors to back it, all they would have to do is start it off by send the time cops that occasionally appear in the TV universe to blow up Nero and repair the timeline. Everything is back to normal in the TV universe, and Abrams can keep pumping out alt timeline movies.

Siliconemelons

Making a post-TNG show is harder now with the dumb reboot movies existing. You have to convince investors/studios/whatever that it can succeed after 2 panned series in a row and now a (moderately) successful reboot movie series that would be ignored entirely. I am all for it though.
Have you all not heard?

Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

I think the show is going to be in the orig universe/timeline eh?

khorum

Murder Apologist
You know what wouldn't suck? If they made a trek show from the perspective of the one of the bad guys. Or maybe even from the perspective of a federation guy stuck living with the Romulans or the Klingons or something. That's eventually what made DS9 so cool.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS's current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.
The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.
Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

Fuck no to all of that.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damon Lindelof......*RED ALERT*

About this movie, this is why I am so afraid with Star Wars. I believe in JJ Abrams but not with the people he chooses afterwards to direct his work. Justin Lin....seriously? ?? Wtf was he thinking?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
in all fairness, you cant really blame justin lin, he only knows how to make hi impact macho man car heist/car chasing films. thats pretty awesome by itself. the fault lies when you give the keys to the star trek franchise to that man who will then give you a product that reflects his previous body of work. im surprised ridley scott has never directed a star trek film.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hope Justin Lin brings back Han. I love that guy.

rrr_img_120198.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm going to watch this in the theatre, and I'm sure I will enjoy it. Eye candy. Don't care even a little about the Star Trek lore being butt raped. It's not real, after all. You guys know that, right?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_120220.jpg

Oh, not real like that bible lore thing you mean? Huh. Gonna watch ST in the theaters ofc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This looks just awful. Like... wow. You'd think they'd learn from the last time.