Star Trek: Discovery

joz123

Potato del Grande
I would rather have the stargate mini series on netflix than this shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
For whatever reason, I kept thinking this looked like a Klingon version of a Starfleet uniform, and something this ridiculous would have the potential to show up in this series...

IMG_7313.JPG

Chris

Potato del Grande
TNG and beyond they were red, because the phasers were an array, as opposed to a single ejection point. If you look at the effects, the energy cascaded across a line before ejecting the beam, allowing a much more powerful directed energy force. Again, Trek nerding out here. The blue was endemic to the original, and I believe only the remastered version. Haven't gone back and watched TOS in its original format, because it looks fucking awful. The Motion Picture uses a cannon style phaser that is red (phaser bursts, as opposed to beams). So if the setting is supposed to be between the phase cannons of ENT and the phaser burst of TOS, blue makes some sense.

View attachment 152009
They could also have injected dilithium into the phasing ions to polarise the ejection neutrons while I belive would produce a white beam, no matter if you are using an TOS cobalt ossilation matrix or TNG iron ossilation matrix, from there you just need to account for gas used in the supercounductors which could produce any colour from the white base depending on the boson concentrations which bend the light in various ways.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ship is fine, looks Starfleet-ish, has a tad too much TNG Klingon cruiser design but not every ship can be super unique.

I would defend the shoulder pads if they didn't look hollow, I thought at first they'd have some purpose like power storage or something but yea they just look dumb. They look like they will continue to look dumb every time too which is even worse.

Goatface

had to look up "making history"

Martin-Green recently expressed her sentiments about being part of a show that is "'the solution' to today's problems," reaffirming that belief to CBS This Morning. “That seems like a lofty thing to say, right? But I think that it can be very profound, because obviously stories can be so healing, art is so healing," she said. "And I think that when you have a story that shows a picture of a Utopian future — it’s been this way the entire time, this is the legacy of Star Trek — and when you can tap into that, when you can key into that, I think that having a vision of that can help you actualize it. I really do.”

Despite the inclusivity and forward-thinking that has long been ingrained within Star Trek's DNA, The Walking Dead alum was on the receiving end of some nasty hate when it was learned she would be leading the series' small screen return. "It was, to be honest," Martin-Green said when asked if the resistance was hurtful. "It was a bit hurtful, but I’m a black woman that was raised in the South. So it did not surprise me because I’m used to that, unfortunately. But it's a double sided coin, because on one end I wasn’t surprised. On the other end, I sort of was, because diversity and universality are pillars of Star Trek. That is the legacy of it.”

Star Trek has always gone boldly, it always has, that's been the essence of it,” Martin-Green added, pointing to the shared kiss between Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) in a 1968 episode of Star Trek — the first interracial kiss on television. It's the kind of progress, says the star, that the newest iteration of the franchise will continue.

“We do that because we’re upholding the legacy, but again, taking that next step forward," Martin-Green said. "Here I am, the first black female lead. We’ve got the first Asian female captain. We’ve got the first woman captain, with a woman first officer… [we've got] the Kelpien [Starfleet Science Officer Lt. Saru, played by Doug Jones] — he’s the first of his kind, we’re introducing his species on our show — we’ve got the first openly gay officer in Star Fleet on a Star Trek show. So we’re doing it, we’re continuing it, and that's how you do it."

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
'Star Trek: Discovery' to Tackle Trump-Era Political Divide
Wish I could Klingon myself. Trump supporters are now Klingons!
Good job Hollywood. You shattered the only last neutral barrier left. All Hollywoodians must perish.

Ignoring that fact that their view of the reasons that Trump won (racial purity and isolationism LOL) are incorrect, i'm pretty happy that the badass Klingons represent the right and the pansy Federation is the progressives. I still won't watch it because this will be a progressive circle jerk; it's just nice to have that sort of representation.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
First black lead.

What about Uhura? Or the black klingon dude? Wasn't Janeway a captain?

You know what, Kirk and Uhura and Kirk was the first televised Black white kiss anywhere.

And they were not insufferable cunts about it.

Fuck progressives. God damned, back patting, whores, have some fucking class.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Hadn't been following this but was hopeful it was going to be decent.

The last few pages were a disappointment

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
First black lead.

What about Uhura? Or the black klingon dude? Wasn't Janeway a captain?

You know what, Kirk and Uhura and Kirk was the first televised Black white kiss anywhere.

And they were not insufferable cunts about it.

Fuck progressives. God damned, back patting, whores, have some fucking class.
First *female* black lead. Uhura wasnt a lead, she was a communications officer. Worf wasn't a lead, he was a generic helmsmen that was later promoted to security when the black slime killed the powerful white woman. Janeway was a woman, but she was white. And her second in command was a native American dude. However, Sisko was a black lead.

All the same, who gives a shit? Like you said, the Kirk/Uhura thing was a pinnacle in racial blending during the 60's, it was talked about it, but it wasn't nearly as annoying as racial shit is today, unnecessarily so. They're not doing anything ground breaking with their racial dogma.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if Trump gets impeached and Hillary dies from vag cancer this show will still suck.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So hurrah. Second black lead(woman first) with third female lead (first slope) woth black chick being the second female first officer lead paired with a black lead!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Most of these entertainment magazines are staffed by SJW's that don't give a fuck about science fiction or comics. That is why you keep running into these articles with stupid shit like first female captain or Black Panther being the first black super hero movie. If it didn't happen within the last 3 years they have no fucking idea it existed.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Most of these entertainment magazines are staffed by SJW's that don't give a fuck about science fiction or comics. That is why you keep running into these articles with stupid shit like first female captain or Black Panther being the first black super hero movie. If it didn't happen within the last 3 years they have no fucking idea it existed.
Right? Blade never existed. Or Spawn. I don't recall any racial sjw shit during their premiers.

• 1Solidarity