Star Trek: Discovery

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok. Episode Seven is a 10/10 episode of Star Trek. It's pretty much the first stand alone episode. I'm stunned they managed it.

Yea, this episode was solid - I'd give alot of the credit to Rainn Wilson though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yea, this episode was solid - I'd give alot of the credit to Rainn Wilson though.
Was that the bad guy? Yeah he was pretty awsome, strong Q vibes acting wise. I expect he will be back again.

They had some clever twists to the time loop trope that I really loved in this episode.

Vaclav

Was that the bad guy? Yeah he was pretty awsome, strong Q vibes acting wise. I expect he will be back again.

They had some clever twists to the time loop trope that I really loved in this episode.

Yea, AKA Dwight from The Office (US)

Harcourt Mudd for his character name though. (Who was an occasional adversary in Star Trek: Original Series)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They still beam things all over the place, did the franchise just agree that the concept of a "transporter room" (especially one designed only for 6 people or small cargo) was stupid and point-to-point just makes sense in every instance?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Transporter rooms even existing is retarded anyway. If you have a problem with point to point teleportation, though, it's been happening for a long time. Star Trek IV being my first thought.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
source.gif

She has an average face at best, but she always had some nice tits.

Is this show worth downloading?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Depends on how bored you are. But generally speaking, unless you're someone who's gonna watch something just because it's set in the Star Trek universe, I'd say no.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think if you can binge the first three or so episodes it's worth it, the last episode was damn good.

Azrayne

"Damn good" is setting the bar a bit low, but yeah it wasn't as awful as the rest of the season so far. Possibly because the guy playing Mudd is nailing the role so well and it was fairly independent of the retarded story arc they've built up so far. All the interpersonal drama they wasted half the episode on was annoying though. If you put it in one of the better TNG/DS9 seasons it'd probably pass for a mid-tier episode.

Vaclav

"Damn good" is setting the bar a bit low, but yeah it wasn't as awful as the rest of the season so far. Possibly because the guy playing Mudd is nailing the role so well and it was fairly independent of the retarded story arc they've built up so far. All the interpersonal drama they wasted half the episode on was annoying though. If you put it in one of the better TNG/DS9 seasons it'd probably pass for a mid-tier episode.

If every episode was up to par with that one, Discovery would be a better show than The Orville.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I dunno Azrayne, that was the best groundhog episode I've ever seen. I don't remember did any other treks have a groundhog episode?

Interesting that the best Discovery episode was in the same week as the worst Orville episode.

Azrayne

Yeah Orville was pretty awful this week. They really need to decide if they're making a Trek-style show with some humor, or a Trek parody with some serious stories thrown in, because it swings around pretty wildly at the moment. The fact that all of their best characters were basically absent for the entire episode didn't help.

For STD I agree they executed the "groundhog" side of the episode well, but I still think that side of it was counterweighted by the interpersonal stuff. It felt awkward and shoehorned in. Not that other Trek's didn't have their share of really lame interpersonal stuff, but still. The fact that the episode was basically carried by Mudd, while the main cast were as awkward and wooden as ever, doesn't make me optimistic going forward.

Siliconemelons

Oh yeah I read that Dwight was Mudd, was looking forward to it...forgot about it till now...now i need to *resub my account for CBS all access to get everything legally...yes indeedy*

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Movie level production for CGI... writers have the laptop do a text box pop-up for "Establishing communications uplink with U.S.S. Discovery"

This is the exactly the type of dumb spelled out shit people complain about.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh, hell, no. Best groundhog episode among any TV series is, hands-down, Stargate SG1's Window of Opportunity.

As for Trek, yes TNG had an excellent episode titled Cause and Effect (episode). Which STD's episode seemed to copy to some extent.

I've seen those, this one was better because the villain was also exploiting the time loop from the inside and the good guy who remembered everything was NOT the main character. Really nice twists on the concept.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Last night's episode was pretty filler. Sets up the next episode excitement pretty well however. Mudd episode is definitely the best yet.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Last night's episode was pretty filler. Sets up the next episode excitement pretty well however. Mudd episode is definitely the best yet.
This show reminds me of Fear the Walking Dead: I don't like any of the characters nor do I even remember their name (except for MICHAEL because it's absurd).

Kiki

Log Wizard
This show reminds me of Fear the Walking Dead: I don't like any of the characters nor do I even remember their name (except for MICHAEL because it's absurd).

Yeah it's weird, I only really like that one villain lol but I still really dig the show. Lorca is in second however just for giving no fucks (and also potentially being a villain depending on how you see it).

EDIT: The first captain was good, but RIP.

I also hate the walking dead, what a shit show.