Star Trek: Discovery

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I can see it happening if he holds out a bit longer - things are a bit weird right now with the transition from old distribution to streaming services, but it should settle down eventually, and doing these kinds of shows with A+ special effects is getting cheaper and cheaper in the meantime, in another decade he could probably pump out an awesome movie on a shoestring effects budget and if he gets enough hype from it, parley that into a remake/comeback.

I guess the flip side is it feels like he told the story he wanted to tell with the original series - it was the story and characters that made B5 so great imo, either a followup tries to follow the exact same characters and themes and is inevitably compared unfavourably to the original, or it goes off in another direction and then what's the point because it's not so much B5 anymore. I mean it's not like he can do a second war between the Vorlons and the Shadows while Earth is overtaken by a fascist government.

But hey, I'd be happy to see any scifi show headed by the dude just because he's shown he can already deliver top tier work, maybe he has another awesome idea bubbling away for the same universe and just hasn't had the opportunity to put it out there yet.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The ship spore jumping mid-combat was pretty badass. It also gives a nice combat advantage to the Federation for the first time ever... its always been the case that all the other races had something really cool about their ships while the Federation vessels only had plot-immunity. (In Starfleet Battles and the Starship Combat Simulator by FASA it was established that the Federation had better shields in order to give them some game balance)

As far as the cliffhanger you can see that Lorca enters in coordinates right before the jump with 'unknown' as the identified destination. Virtually guaranteed he used the 'last jump' to pop into one of those dimensional holes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Perhaps it was the timeframe and being so hungry for Sci-Fi on TV again, but TNG wasn't that bad at the time to me - rewatching the early seasons is impossible now though, I will admit. Almost anything in the "Tasha Yar" seasons I skip when rewatching it.

And I can quote plenty of Sci-Fi that started off strong - one of my favorites being Farscape.
it's all relative to your age of exposure.

If you're a teen watching TNG, it was the shit at saturday nights at 7pm. If you're older than that, you're a loser, wtf you doing watching sci fi on a saturday night???

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
for me it was middle school friday nights watching the back to back episodes of tng season 3 and 4 at 8 to 10pm. good times

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, in a fit of boredom I broke down and picked up the CBS sub to watch this.

Have only watched the first 3 episodes but I am pleasantly surprised. Was expecting a bit more SJW virtue signalling (perhaps it is later) but all I have seen so far is pretty typical for Trek. They were always out front by putting minorities and women in positions of command etc. And I always thought that was cool.

The only thing that bothers me so far are the Klingons. For a warrior race they sure act like pussies. Their body language is pathetic. Worf would crush this bunch.

• 3Barf
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
here's a JRE about the spore guy

Finally watched all of this, and they don't talk about star trek till the end. Pretty crazy that they reference him however. That guy is pretty insane with the mushroom knowledge bombs, lava shrooms, biggest organism on the planet, etc. Props to star trek but I don't think shrooms can live in space.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched the rest of the episodes. I like the series so far because the story is kind of interesting and the art style is different. But it seems kind of odd that for an exploration ship they never go to any planets or do any actual exploring. I realize a war is going on but even there nothing seems to be happening after 7 episodes. Must be a budget thing.

Edit: Not sure how I missed episode 8. Woot, they finally go to a planet.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Finished the first 9 "season" - it did get better once they stopped beating us over the brow with SJWism - although the gayness is strong and still over the top.

Klingon tits, hehe the klingon boobie sisters would be proud.

I didn't catch what was stated above with the caption entering unknown chords... if so why was he so wtfbbq where are we...

Also the detection tech transition would not have been done yet? So he is screwing the entire starfleet just because he can't summa down for a moment?

But, over all - not bad- looking forward to it pickup back up soon

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I’ll never pay CBS a subscription for a show that should be broadcast on their damn channel. If they release it on demand on Comcast or show it on TV I’ll watch it.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Ah, ok didn’t know that.

At least... I think you can :-D from what I have read.. did a quick google or 2 and yeah- looks like if you do a standard VPN or other region swap work around for netflix - should get you discovery- its on "international" USA and Canada both have other providers for it and not on netflix.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Like you can't torrent. Even still, this show is garbage. I was generally annoyed the entire way through the first season, but the fucking frat party with Dixie cups made me rage. I can forgive a lot of the show's shit representations of the Star Trek universe, but I absolutely hate the fuck out of the main character. She's a terrible actress. For a historically episodic show, even after the season finished, I was questioning what the fuck happened. "That's it?" I like some of the concepts, but not how they were executed. The spore drive is dumb, could have been done better (but I can't exactly say how), though I did like sticking a human into the machine. The forced SJW felt out of place, which is incredibly ironic for a show that has historically handled those subjects rather well. The Klingons were handled worse than they had been in the original series, and yet they were supposed to be the main protagonists. I felt like they were trying too damn hard, and missed the entire point of what Star Trek is. Adventure, exploration. Even the Sci fi aspect wasn't very science in its foundation.

I had to go back and rewatch all of TNG, and I'm almost through DS9, just to solidify my opinion and cleanse my pallate with how badly this show was handled. The effects were amazing. I liked the captain for his moral ambiguity (and he reminded me a lot of a cardassian, especially Gul Dukat), and the intrigue of the rabbit character, but it's too much of The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones with its throw away characters. I give zero fucks about anyone on the show, and even the decent characters epitomize annoyance (the red head, the doctor, and....)

I'm a piece of shit Star Trek fanboi, and will watch season 2 just because it is. Maybe it'll pull an Enterprise, where I really grow to love the shit in season 2-3'ish. And hopefully it gets to a season 5, where TNG, DS9, and VOY, all hit their strides. Even still, the first seasons of those shows were still more coherent and enjoyable than this shows first season. I'd rather watch the animated series again.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Watched the rest of the episodes. I like the series so far because the story is kind of interesting and the art style is different. But it seems kind of odd that for an exploration ship they never go to any planets or do any actual exploring. I realize a war is going on but even there nothing seems to be happening after 7 episodes. Must be a budget thing.

Edit: Not sure how I missed episode 8. Woot, they finally go to a planet.

Budget is hardly an excuse with the effects as good as they are.

Last edited:

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The Borg Queen storyline and Kes being replaced by 7 of 9 are actually pretty decent in the back half of Voyager.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Borg Queen storyline and Kes being replaced by 7 of 9 are actually pretty decent in the back half of Voyager.
They replaced a dumb blonde child with an adult sporting a cybernetically enhanced mind plus genetically superior tits, of course it got better. Although it is ironic seeing random posts about how Jeri and Kate didn't have the best relationship on set even though it gave Janeway a better story than wanting to fuck an Irish hologram.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They replaced a dumb blonde child with an adult sporting a cybernetically enhanced mind plus genetically superior tits, of course it got better. Although it is ironic seeing random posts about how Jeri and Kate didn't have the best relationship on set even though it gave Janeway a better story than wanting to fuck an Irish hologram.
yea such superior writing, i wonder what kind of role we'll put the Rock in?
N0nAjgx.gif

• 1Worf