Star Trek: Discovery

ShakyJake

<Donor>
EDIT: The first captain was good, but RIP.

Funny enough I was more pumped about the show when I thought she was the series' captain. It's too bad because I think a TOS-style episodic show with her would've worked quite well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I thought the last two episodes were very classic Trek and I'm looking forward to the half season finale showdown.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The whole sequence with "I know this ship like the back of my hand we can sneak anywhere" immediately followed by them getting caught was just weird. I read that there was a lot more interaction between the Admiral and L'Rell that got cut for time (why? Its not like you have to fit in a time slot silly streaming people) but the whole thing seemed like it was layers of different mind fuckery perpetrated on the audience more than on the characters.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I have only the vaguest idea of what's going on with the klingon side of things from one episode to the next. They've done an even worse job with them than they have with the federation side.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I have only the vaguest idea of what's going on with the klingon side of things from one episode to the next. They've done an even worse job with them than they have with the federation side.
Have you played Warcraft? It's like Warcraft 1/2 Orcs (crazy genocidal maniacs) vs Warcraft 3/WOW Orcs (proud shamans with a rich culture).

Current Klingon leader is a crazy genocidal type but the white Klingon lady has diverse and vibrant traditions and her lived experiences are not being respected.

Azrayne

Except she's also concerned with being all honorable and shit (though of course, like I said earlier, Klingon honor has always been BS) while simultaneously being a torturing back stabbing spy master. But I mainly meant just the basic plot shit - there was Klingon Mohammed, who was killed by Captain Token Chinese Lady, then there was Albino Klingon, except he just fucking vanished, and now there's some third dude painting people's faces and crazy spy lady doing fuck knows what. It's a mess, whoever wrote this shit must have some serious pedo-dirt on someone powerful to still be employed.

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Bro has fucked two aliens and he's only been in half the episodes.

The internet tells me Klingon women have huge dongs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This episode finale is entirely unwatchable.

from LULZ, ptsd and way too much of shaniqua, it's hard to fastfoward.

here's a JRE about the spore guy

i wonder when are they gonna include this bitch in an episode, besides just giving her a headshot

for those that forgot, she was also on china captains boat, and the war gave her that cyber eye.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm so glad all of these gadgets turn on LEDs, beep and boop, then broadcast a voice message in case enemies still didn't notice their covert mission. Don't forget the tight shot on the display with "Awaiting 2nd sensor" in case your dumbfuck audience doesn't know where they're going next. The bridge! Where a random klingon is trying to catch a look out the front window to see the battle...

Make sure the Michael chick makes it to the Discovery bridge from the transporter room just in time to see them win, not like she was just in hand to hand combat and should go to med bay, only vulcans would think like that.

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
is it me or is the STD opening credits just pretty much a rip off of WestWorld with visuals and the music?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They did cite both GoT and Westworld as influencers for the longer more dramatic credit sequence.

Overall I find myself liking the show more and more. It's clear they will be universe hopping now and thus we will either never get back to Prime or, more likely, they weren't in Prime to start with. This would explain nicely all the divergences from the Prime timeline and even things like Michael Burnham existing

Last edited:

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They did cite both GoT and Westworld as influencers for the longer more dramatic credit sequence.

Overall I find myself liking the show more and more. It's clear they will be universe hopping now and thus we will either never get back to Prime or, more likely, they weren't in Prime to start with. This would explain nicely all the divergences from the Prime timeline and even things like Michael Burnham existing

It definitely seems to be picking up some steam now, but it still doesn't excuse how bad most of the beginning was. Sure, some Sci-Fi shows have pulled off a most bad first season with being ultimately a good show, but I can't recall any that started off so awful for so many episodes.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It definitely seems to be picking up some steam now, but it still doesn't excuse how bad most of the beginning was. Sure, some Sci-Fi shows have pulled off a most bad first season with being ultimately a good show, but I can't recall any that started off so awful for so many episodes.

LMAO, I do....

Star Trek: TNG

Drunk-Data.jpg

Rikers-Pajamas.jpg

F979CC5E-7CC4-4312-A436-6E0ED7C96CC.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Azrayne

Yeah first season TNG was so bad it put me off the whole Trek franchise until a friend talked me into checking out DS9 (which I'm very glad he did). I still think STD is worse, but all of them had a rough start before they hit their pace. Same is true for almost all scifi shows, with the exception of Firefly (but we know how that ended...)

As for the credit sequence, I don't care who they ripped off, it's still better than 3 minutes of boring orchestral music to repetitive shots of a ship passing different planets (or just zooming around the space station for DS9, which was even worse, despite my love for the show). Of course the irony being that everyone just fast-forwards the credits these days, so it doesn't really matter.

Vaclav

Perhaps it was the timeframe and being so hungry for Sci-Fi on TV again, but TNG wasn't that bad at the time to me - rewatching the early seasons is impossible now though, I will admit. Almost anything in the "Tasha Yar" seasons I skip when rewatching it.

And I can quote plenty of Sci-Fi that started off strong - one of my favorites being Farscape.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Azrayne

Maybe the Farscape thing is a matter of taste, I tried twice to watch it after I burned through SG/Trek/B5, but could never get further than the early second season. just didn't hit the spot for me, even though I wanted to like it.

I still maintain that best consistent value for time are the middle seasons of B5. S1 started out weak (although there's a lot of setup for later seasons), and it ended weak on S5 (which in fairness, they never really planned for) but 2/3/4 are just non-stop epic. Unfortunately most people can't get past the dated visual effects, which, their loss I guess, but it sucks that such an amazing show is so underrated in the wider populace.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

yeah, TNG was just very 80's. Star Trek did try to be topical and progressive. But, the reality is, progressive often means taking missteps. so, many of the ideas pushed may seem laughable in hindsight. Its also partially were we went wrong. in the past progressive views and ideas were more.. suggestions, or ideals. Now, there is this belief that progressive current fads are 100% correct. no introspection.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Vaclav

Maybe the Farscape thing is a matter of taste, I tried twice to watch it after I burned through SG/Trek/B5, but could never get further than the early second season. just didn't hit the spot for me, even though I wanted to like it.

I still maintain that best consistent value for time are the middle seasons of B5. S1 started out weak (although there's a lot of setup for later seasons), and it ended weak on S5 (which in fairness, they never really planned for) but 2/3/4 are just non-stop epic. Unfortunately most people can't get past the dated visual effects, which, their loss I guess, but it sucks that such an amazing show is so underrated in the wider populace.

Yea, B5 is a pinnacle for the genre - as you said, even the weak S1 episodes feed back into things later. I so pray JMK gets the reboot movie and it does incredibly well to have a proper comeback.

• 2Like