Star Trek: Discovery

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
people want a spin-off because the main character is insufferable and the plot is contrived and generally disrespectful of established lore. it's a "grass is always greener on the other side" thing. as soon as we GET a spin-off we'll be in the same position we're in now. "well, at least it LOOKS pretty"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
if you could get away from Mikey, this show would be a lot better. Tilly is great, Pike yadda yadda. Add some worldbuilding, we got more worldbuilding in the mirror universe than this one, other character development, etc and it's a 10.

What I find interesting is that the story spans the entire season and they tie it in pretty well to almost every episode. Star Trek, even Bakula Enterprise, was always pretty drop in and drop out. You could miss an episode, even a season and drop in. I'm not sure it's the same with this series. It's a different captain every season even.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i actually do appreciate the season spanning story arcs. voyager was so frustrating because while there was this overhanging story of "we have to get home" there was never this feel that they were stranded and there was no continuity from one episode to another. one week their ship gets half blown up by rando aliens. next week the ship is in perfect shape.

i stopped watching discovery after i got past all the prettiness of it. everything is just too convenient. everything just works, there's no sense of "will that even work?" Even when the characters doubt a plan, it's so poorly written and executed that there's absolutely no weight to it NOT working. i'm not even going to get into the SJW of it. i looked past A LOT of it because i hoped for a REALLY interesting hook, like discovery being part of section 31. like, discovery being the mirror universe and spore driving to the prime universe, burnham being a part of the department of temporal investigations (which would make her NOT spock's sister, because that's stupid and forced).

but the bottom line is that i just don't like the characters, i don't like the stories. it's not that it just "doesn't feel like star trek." i enjoyed the rebooted movies for what they were... discovery doesn't "feel like trek" because it actively disrespects so much of what is already established.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even the first reboot movie was overwhelmingly human and Earth centric. When we finally got to "Let's go save Vulcan!" but it was actually a tangent to find random party members Scotty and future Spock out in the ice boonies, then back to Earth system cause ggrrrrrr hate humans! 2nd movie had the Klingons as a cameo, otherwise it was entirely humans and Earth. 3rd movie turned out to be old military human in disguise hating on humans, but at least it wasn't Earth.

Siliconemelons

6 is an outstanding movie and score. It is very well put together in every aspect of the film and worth study imo in film or score classes etc.

I put it on par with lotr fellowship in how it's put together perfect and has a score that is exactly what it needs to be when it needs to be without taking away

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They were good popcorn movies, just not good Trek movies.
"Popcorn movie" is what people like to label shitty movies they'd be otherwise embarrassed to watch.

You can you have your blow-em-up action movie without an insultingly mess of a plot. See Edge of Tomorrow.

Spectacle is no longer enough of a reason to sell a movie, cheap CGI has made sure of that.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Not exactly shocking that a famously acerbic lesbian comic would be playing an acerbic lesbian engineer.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So it's looking likely that Discovery gets tossed into the future and thereby will allow us to explore some timeline past TNG/DS9/VOY.

Though obviously Spock can't be on the ship when it happens so something has to get him off the ship before they wormhole away. Seems odd that Ash Tyler would not be on the ship as you'd likely want to keep him around for season 3, so maybe they will hammer the reset button after all.