Star Trek - Into Darkness

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw it last night. Good movie. Sure it's got it's wtf moments, but what movie doesn't. Was completely caught off guard and a bit emotional during the
Kirk/Spock death scene. Pretty touching and wasn't expecting it. Even though, as the scene unfolded, I was already assuming the tribble/Khan blood mention earlier in the film would be used to bring Kirk back.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
THIS MOVIE MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE.

Namely, everything having to do with Admiral Marcus. He's going to start a war... ok, why? His big advantage is...one ship? To protect Earth from the infinity of space? Ok. But why, oh why, would he destroy the crew of the Enterprise. He's the fucking head of Starfleet. He can order, do, and pretty much write protocol.

Hey, I'm going to kill you Kirk, and your crew, just because... I guess we need a villain?

AND PRE-EMPTIVELY TO PRE-EMPT ANY JACKASS WHO WANTS TO ARGUE WITH ME...

Where are Earth's big badass planetary defense guns that were in the 2009 movie that the captain of the Narada had to mindfuck Kirk to get past in his starship, presumably the strongest ship to EVER. HAVE. EXISTED.
So these guns, capable of destroying the Narada, are doing what while the Enterprise and Dreadnought are slugging it out???

And if Earth had planetary defense cannons capable of destroying the Narada, which is exponentially more advanced than the Dreadnought, wouldn't the Klingons? A race for war have similar cannons that could destroy one ship?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
He's going to start a war... ok, why? His big advantage is...one ship?
War equals funding and support to take his goals of militarizing Star Fleet into the mainstream.

So these guns, capable of destroying the Narada, are doing what while the Enterprise and Dreadnought are slugging it out?
Since Marcus was operating off the books so-to-speak, it isn't to much of a stretch to assume who ever is in charge of shooting those guns didn't know wtf to do or who to target since it was two Star Fleet ships up there duking it out. And/Or they were inside the guns firing radius perhaps?

Hey, I'm going to kill you Kirk, and your crew, just because... I guess we need a villain?
Since Kirk and co. knows what Admiral Marcus is up to, they have to die. Destroying Enterprise and crew allows him to scapegoat the whole thing onto the Klingons to help start his war, since Kirk fucked up his original plan of torpedoing the Klingon homeworld.

wouldn't the Klingons? A race for war have similar cannons that could destroy one ship?
During this point in the timeline, not a ton is known about the Klingons, other than the fact they are out there and don't like us. Not sure what you are getting at here though. Why didn't they blow up the Enterprise? I am assuming it is because they were stranded at the edge of Klingon space, far outside the range of these hypothetical guns. Or is the question why didn't they blow up the ship they took to Kronos (Qo'noS)? Guessing the ship is small enough to avoid detection or something...

There are plenty of plot-holes in this movie, but I think you are grasping at straws with the issues you are bringing up. Also, Nero was mind-fucking Pike for the codes to Earths planetary defenses, not Kirk.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wasn't asking why the Klingon guns didn't blow up the Enterprise, obviously it was out of range. I'm just saying that it doesn't make any sense for the man, "in charge", to act in such a manner so subvertly
when he could accomplish so much more, without fucking it up, by acting obvertly.

And he has one ship. That's not enough to win a fucking Cub Scout canoe race, much less a war with an advanced civilization centered around war. I can understand his motivations up until the point where he's like, "if it was any consolation, I was going to kill your crew anyway..."

Really?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I believe you are over-estimating the difficulty of cub scout canoe races. Given the endurance of your typical cub scout, I doubt they could paddle the length of the enterprise.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Star Fleets mission is one of peace and exploration. Marcus believes that war with the Klingons is not only inevitable, but already happening and outside his one covert ship and a secret military program hidden under some archives, Star Fleet is not ready for the war that is coming. He needs some sort of dramatic incident to turn the tide of opinion in his favor so he can start militarizing Star Fleet and he decided to make the Enterprise his sacrificial lamb. First he wanted them to get blown up at the edge of Klingon space by the Klingons after they fired those long-range torpedoes. When that didn't work, and the Enterprise figured out his secret, he took it upon himself to kill them to preserve his secret plans. He never intended to spare the crew because they were all suppose to be blown up by the Klingons in the first place.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That is one complaint I had while watching this, the new Klingons. They look like male models or something. hey should be all fuckin battle scarred and rough, instead the main Klingon looked like Xerxes from 300.