Star Trek - Into Darkness

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I really don't care for this whole ridiculous warp speed thing they have going with the new movies. It was also present in Enterprise as well so I suppose it is semi consistent, but they seem to be able to go from anywhere in the federation to anywhere else in the federation in a matter of a few minutes. I'm not sure how any Romulan, Klingon or anything war is supposed to take place if you can warp wherever you want in a couple minutes.

At the same time they still do the "you are the only ship in range" bit quite often as well. I guess travel time is a complete function of what dramatic tension you need or don't need. In Enterprise's pilot they went from Earth to Kronos in a couple days with their fancy new Warp 5 ship, yet it took them something like several months to get to Xindi space because that needed to be 'very far' away.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
girlfriend and I saw it tonight and shes the trek nerd. we both thought it was excellent, quite a few giddy laughter moments when there were super nerd out moments. highly recommend, at least as good as the first, imo superior.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I really don't care for this whole ridiculous warp speed thing they have going with the new movies. It was also present in Enterprise as well so I suppose it is semi consistent, but they seem to be able to go from anywhere in the federation to anywhere else in the federation in a matter of a few minutes. I'm not sure how any Romulan, Klingon or anything war is supposed to take place if you can warp wherever you want in a couple minutes.

At the same time they still do the "you are the only ship in range" bit quite often as well. I guess travel time is a complete function of what dramatic tension you need or don't need. In Enterprise's pilot they went from Earth to Kronos in a couple days with their fancy new Warp 5 ship, yet it took them something like several months to get to Xindi space because that needed to be 'very far' away.
I thought this was extremely strange as well. I didn't watch Enterprise so can't comment, but TNG/DS9/Voyager, shit was far apart and took days/weeks/months to get there. I realize this doesn't work well for JJ Abrams so he retcons what warp is, but the hairs on my neckbeard were quite rustled when they went from Earth to Kronos in 7 minutes.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I thought this was extremely strange as well. I didn't watch Enterprise so can't comment, but TNG/DS9/Voyager, shit was far apart and took days/weeks/months to get there. I realize this doesn't work well for JJ Abrams so he retcons what warp is, but the hairs on my neckbeard were quite rustled when they went from Earth to Kronos in 7 minutes.
You are going to be really upset when you find out Abrams' Han Solo did the Kessel run in less than 8 parsecs.

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I went in expecting Abrams one level of Star Trek terribleness.
Came out liking it a ton.
Would say its the 2nd best Star Trek original crew movie to me. Behind Wrath of Khan which I still believe is the best original crew movie.

My only real complaint I will get into in a few says when enough have seen it that I will not have to use spoilers.

Best movie of the year so far. Far and a way worlds better then Iron Man 3 which I would rate as second best movie so far this year even with the Mandarin crap.

Prodibar_sl

shitlord
maybe I missed it but did the Enterprise fire any weapons at all? this seemed like Iron Man 3 were it just got its ass kicked the whole movie

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i keep seeing everyone talk about Kronos.

Do you guys mean Qo'Nos?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Everything in this movie happens at 'plot speed' and the sequence and timing of events makes absolutely no sense.

If you can ignore that, it's pretty fucking good.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
maybe we need a text popping up in the corner of the screen with "2 hours later" along with the name of the planet or starship/deck/corridor

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So if you can ignore the movie, it's pretty fucking good?
Im still amused that Paramount thinks they can jut resuscitate this franchise by rebooting the original cast with new actors like it was a James Bond movie.

As soon as you find out that this happens in an "alternate universe" why would you even care about the characters?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Im still amused that Paramount thinks they can jut resuscitate this franchise by rebooting the original cast with new actors like it was a James Bond movie.

As soon as you find out that this happens in an "alternate universe" why would you even care about the characters?
Because mindless explosions and sex appeal. Just like every other action movie ever made ever. We slapped the Star Trek label on this one though, so the explosions and tits are just way cooler, /brofive JJ.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I have to be honest dudes, maybe I'm just asking for too much but I really thought this one was pretty lame and that's coming from someone that really enjoyed the 2009 film for what it was (fun action).

This film was predictable at every point of the plot. The only thing I was sure was going to happen that didn't was the Admiral's daughter being a plant.

Oh hey, the warmongering Admiral is actually the bad guy. What do you know. Oh hey, Kirk is dead, but lets ram down our throats for the third time that Khan has special blood by having that furry thing start moving in case we forgot about the opening scene.

Maybe I need to rewatch the 2009 film as it's maybe equally as bad at this sort of thing, but I really don't remember it being so.

Lens flare wasn't as bad this time around so there's that.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well... Seems like everybody else is picking apart the same stuff. In case I missed it here's another tidbit that my wife picked out...

The moon of Kronos wasn't destroyed for quite some time after when they are. Even with the "different timeline" the actions which caused the moon of Kronos to break apart shouldn't have happened yet.

Also, who gives a fuck about war with the klingons if they now have the ability to TRANSPORT from Earth to Kronos as well? Klingons declare war? Transport a metric fuckton of photon missles to their doorstep!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Dumar gets more and more sand in his vagina with every positive comment, it's pretty funny.

Movie was fantastic.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well... Seems like everybody else is picking apart the same stuff. In case I missed it here's another tidbit that my wife picked out...

The moon of Kronos wasn't destroyed for quite some time after when they are. Even with the "different timeline" the actions which caused the moon of Kronos to break apart shouldn't have happened yet.

Also, who gives a fuck about war with the klingons if they now have the ability to TRANSPORT from Earth to Kronos as well? Klingons declare war? Transport a metric fuckton of photon missles to their doorstep!
Praxis is what blew up. Not Kronos.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Last one was better, but they're in the same ballpark. Just seems like they cut loose a bit too much. It was one scene after another of all hell going loose, and it got a bit silly. They're verging on similarities with the later Pierce Brosnan era Bond films. Goldeneye was a decent update, and the following entries were sloppier.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Saw it and loved it. I think it's pretty obvious that, even at warp, it takes awhile to get somewhere. They just don't put words on the screen saying it. Why bother? It keeps the movie moving.

Funny to find out that Kirk likes to fuck furry's.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider

I noticed that too. Shouldn't have happened for what, 20+ more years? There's no reason, alternate timeline or no, that would have happened already. I think it was just supposed to be an inside 'know' to Trek nerds, but it was a dumb one, coming from someone who loved VI :p