Star Trek Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I'm still playing this, if playing can be defined by logging in once a day to slot up DOff and reputation projects. I usually farm rep marks on the weekends for an hour or two, then log off. I'm kinda burned out after 4.5 years of the same ol' shit, but the game can be fun if you're playing socially. The problem is that the game heavily favors solo play, so by the time you get to elite content at max level, solo folks spend a lot of time blowing up, then quit.

Leveling up is not difficult at all. It's actually quickest for Romulans and Klingons, since they have less story missions. If you play hardcore you can probably get 10-15 levels over a weekend. Run Duty Officer assignments when you're not logged in to gain offline exp and small amounts of dilithium. Once you get to level 50 you're done leveling and can pretty much focus on reputations completely. This is when you really focus your ships towards a high-end build.
Reps and DOff grinds can be a bit long, but once you get access to the best DOffs and rep gear, you are pretty much set. It all boils down to how completely ludicrous you want your ship to be, so if you're PvPing you want the best stuff, else you get facerolled each time you queue up a PvP map.

Questions? I'm @Jarnin in STO. Email me or post here.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
You can pretty much pick up 5+ levels in just the one hour of mirror universe every day. I usually go back once a year and play for a couple months then quit once the grinding starts setting in again. It's not a bad game really, just need to be in an active fleet.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have a ton of fun mainly just flying around, doing doff missions, random borg alerts, and solo queuing for the handful of elite STFs that generally always succeed (crystalline entity, Infected:the conduit, the undine infiltration), or spending time in the dyson sphere ground battleground, which I find more fun than the undine space one.

I am sure I will drift away to Wildstar after the summer event is over, but like Xenrauk I drift back into this for a few months every year, catch up on the new reputations, have fun Trekking out for awhile, then move on to something else.

Arakkis

N00b
I finally decided to give this a go and am actually having fun. The leveling is keeping me interested in the story so far, which I did not expect. Switching between ground and space missions is not as bad as people make it out to be. I actually like the diversity of switching back and forth between what feels like totally different games. There are also a bunch of interesting minigames that I keep finding. When I start to get bored with flying around and shooting things, I can lose myself for an hour or so on assigning duty officers to missions, or reading about breeding tribbles.

The one really annoying thing so far has nothing to do with gameplay. Since I am not in a guild, I continuously get guild invites. No chatting me up, no "hi there", just invites popping up in the middle of the screen while I am doing something. The fuckers might get lucky if they said something to me, but in typical Star Trek fan form, it's just a WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND YES OR NO.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I get the same. I'm sure there are some fun guild(fleet)s out there, but I doubt the decent ones are going to spam invite.

sukik

There's a promo event going on the next couple months. Extra gear and rewards as you level as well as account level unlocks when you complete the event.

Delta Recruitment Event - Star Trek Online Wiki

I also think there's also a double xp event going on this weekend but I can't seem to find an event calendar for STO.

sukik

Going to give this a shot for the first time since beta. Do you have any links to decent forums or newb guides please Jarnin ?
I kinda raised this thread from the dead and it doesn't looks like Jarmin hasn't posted in a while but I'll give you the stuff I use. Some of it hasn't been updated to the new level cap of 60, but the information is still valid for leveling and game mechanic basics. Also season 10 is coming up so I don't know what changes are planned in that update.

subreddit:Star Trek Online
builds subreddit:Star Trek Online - Builds
Reddit beginner faq:guides - sto
wiki:Star Trek Online Wiki
Build theorycrafting:STO Academy

The thing I wished I'd know initially was that you don't want to mix damage types(plasma, phaser, disruptor etc), or. Use all the same and the tactical consoles that boosts damage for that type. Not something to really worry about early on since you typically get faction appropriate gear while leveling but later you'll start to get mixed faction rewards. The game can be pretty easy on normal and people do use novelty/canon builds for rp, but that's up to you.Guide to Weapons - STO Academy

Also bridge officers are pretty important and duty officers can be fairly important. These wiki pages aren't bad references, but they're nothing to worry about until you get them and are confused.

Bridge officer - Star Trek Online Wiki
Duty officer - Star Trek Online Wiki

One final thing is that people mostly play the game for the internet spaceship part because the ground combat is meh at best. Which is unfortunate since it starts you on the ground. So at least get to the internet spaceships bit before tossing the game into the bin.

sukik

Np. One thing if forgot to mention is that if you think you might like the game enough to keep playing for awhile consider getting a sub for while you're leveling. You get free respec tokens at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 55(I think) which normally cost 500 zen each. And some other stuff like extra inventory slots that you keep after your sub ends. And the generally advised purchase is the credit cap unlock with the 500 zen you get from the sub which increases the amount of energy credits you can hold from 10million to 1 billion. The FTP model struck me as different since it there don't seem to be any benefits to maintaining a sub after you've finished leveling. You're better off just putting that money into zen, since that's what you buy some end game ships with. Zen can be acquired from RL cash or in game currency exchange.

sukik

Season 10 is being released tomorrow. New content and they're revamping sector space into three big zones.

Season 10 Coming April 21st! | Star Trek Online!

Season 10 of Star Trek Online begins the conclusion of a conflict that has been brewing in Star Trek Online for more than five years. The newest season reintroduces the Iconians ? an ancient race that has remained dormant for years waiting for their time to strike. As the war approaches, new captains will emerge from Delta Recruitment to bolster forces in defense of the galaxy. It is up to Star Trek Online players to push back the forces of the Iconians. If they don?t succeed, there might be no galaxy left to fight for. Captains will be joining forces to fight back the Heralds and the Iconians this coming April 21st, 2015!

Check out our latest trailer for Season 10: The Iconian War!
Upcoming content - Star Trek Online Wiki

Season 10: The Iconian War (April 21, 2015)

• Story Missions
    Blood of Ancients [1]
    Delta Flight [1]
  • Sector space to be merged into three maps, representing the Alpha, Beta and Delta Quadrants (including addition of sectors containing canon worlds like Trill, Betazed, Ferenginar and others) [2][3][4][5][6][7][8]
  • New Reputation faction[9]: "Iconian Resistance" with three new PvE queues:
    The Herald Sphere
    Brotherhood of the Sword
    Gateway to Gre'thor
  • Confirmed new Voice actors:
    Lisa LoCicero (Miral Paris) [10]
    Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) [11]
  • Skill revamp (unlikely) [12]

sukik

Season 10 Is Live! | Star Trek Online

This is it. More than five years of build-up, two expansions of fighting their minions, the building of an alliance that spans most of the galaxy, and endless story threads leading up to this moment. The Iconian War is here, and it?s time to see if the alliance is up to the task of repelling the Iconian Invasion. The Iconian War will begin in two episodes that release with Season 10, featuring the voice talents of Robert Duncan McNeil as Tom Paris and Lisa LiCicero as Miral Paris. You will be engaging the Iconians in three queues. The first two represent two fronts of the same battle for Qo'noS, where you will face the fearsome Iconian Heralds in space and ground combat. In the third queue, you will assault a Herald Sphere, a gateway control hub for Herald ships, and attempt to prevent the invasion of other worlds in our galaxy. This war will span months and require teamwork and sacrifice from the entire alliance. What you?re going to see this season is only the beginning.

In addition to the amazing story content we?ll be providing the equipment to fight the Iconians through the Iconian Resistance reputation, which features gear tailor-made to fight the Iconian Heralds. We?ve completed the Pilot Specialization, giving it a full suite of abilities that put it on par with Intelligence and Command. Along with this update, we?re also giving you the ability to slot a primary specialization in a secondary slot and vice versa, giving you even more flexibility to choose your role.

Last but certainly not least, we?ve completely overhauled our existing sector space. Our original sector space has been converted from 18 sector maps into 3 quadrant maps. On top of tearing down those walls and eliminating all of those map transfers, the scale of sector space has been adjusted to improve the feeling of being in the vastness of space. This is a momentous change for the game, and to celebrate it we?re going to be giving out a few party favors if you login during the first week of Season 10. During our first year we released some items that we?re bringing back for the first time ever to commemorate the day the sector walls fell. Everyone that logs in during the first week will have free access to the following items in the C-Store: Shaka When the Walls Fell emote, The Badge of Temba, The Medal of Tenagra, and the titles Tamarian Envoy and Hero of Tenagra.

This is stacking up to be an excellent season and I?m looking forward to seeing you all in game!

Stephen Ricossa
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
Np. One thing if forgot to mention is that if you think you might like the game enough to keep playing for awhile consider getting a sub for while you're leveling. You get free respec tokens at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 55(I think) which normally cost 500 zen each. And some other stuff like extra inventory slots that you keep after your sub ends. And the generally advised purchase is the credit cap unlock with the 500 zen you get from the sub which increases the amount of energy credits you can hold from 10million to 1 billion. The FTP model struck me as different since it there don't seem to be any benefits to maintaining a sub after you've finished leveling. You're better off just putting that money into zen, since that's what you buy some end game ships with. Zen can be acquired from RL cash or in game currency exchange.
With the sub you also get 500 Zen each month, there is also a nifty tool as auto-conversion of dilithium, maximum you can converse each day from raw to refined is 8000, when you sub that is done automatically each day regardless if you log on or not, where as non subbers need to log on each day, now this might sound like a shitty thing but tbh it is not, getting 8k raw dilithium is easy.

Refining it for that special gear is a bitch as w/o a sub you must log on and sometimes spend time in the que, where as a subbed member you seldom have to wait more than 30 sec afore you are loading into the game - now I live in Europe and there is often 200-500 in que here and especially now when the Iconian War has launched - given that most players now has 2 characters 1 main and 1 delta recruit, switching between the 2 as non subbed, can't be fun.

sukik

TLDR is do the event stuff between June 4th and July 16th to get a Ferengi T6 ship.

Star Trek Online: Lohlunat Festival Returns! | Star Trek Online

Grab your powerboards and your floaters, because the Lohlunat Festival is coming back to Risa!

All the fun is back ? dance parties, sand castle building, horga'hn hunts, powerboard racing and floater challenge courses ? with new rewards (Risian print shirts!) and more. Please remember that swimsuits and shirts covered in horga'hns and dancing girls do not fall under the uniform code for members of the various exploratory and military services, and thus such items are non-regulation for mission duty.

This year you can participate in the floater challenge courses to earn Lohlunat Prize Vouchers (2015) that you can trade in for a starship! This year the Risian Hospitality Association has partnered with the Lobi Crystal Consortium to offer a Ferengi Nandi Warship. The Nandi offers the finest in both firepower and luxury for the discerning ship commander. (More details about this ship will be available in an upcoming blog.)

And once you've earned the Ferengi Nandi Warship, the Risians will give you a significant discount if you want another one! (Any character on your account can claim the Ferengi Nandi Warship once you've earned the ship on a single character.)

Please note that the Risian Corvette and Risian Luxury Cruiser will not be available this year unless you have already slotted projects to earn them in your Event Reputation. Partially finished projects from last year can be completed with Risian Lohlunat Pearls (before June 4) or Lohlunat Incorporated Prize Vouchers (2015) after the event begins. Progress in these projects will not be lost until the end of the event.

At the end of this year's Lohlunat Festival, all uncompleted Lohlunat Festival Reputation projects will be deleted.

Any leftover Risian Lohlunat Pearls you have can be spent in the Summer Buyback store (available from your Event Reputation screen), but they can no longer be used in Reputation projects after June 4.

The Lohlunat Festival runs from June 4 to July 16. We'll see you there!

Blessed Lohlunat!

sukik

I think I'm the only one who occasionally plays this here but I'll post it anyway. The Season 10 Iconian Story Arc is over and the Season 11 Mirror Universe arc has begun. They also introduced something called the Admiralty system. It's a mission system for ships that you have collected. For every ship you add to your roster you get the ship mission card to use on missions. You keep the ship card after you discharge the ship so you don't have to have it on your roster in order to use it for Admiralty missions. So they've basically added a reason for people to collect ships. I went through the Dilithium ship vendor last night and bought all the ships to get the card and dismissed them. Brought me up to about 23 ships, which isn't much but I'm not a very active player. People who have lots of Zen ships unlocked can redeem and discharge them on all characters so there's a lot of ships out there to collect. And ships(single use) on the exchange are up in price about 900%. A ship that went for 200k ec a few months ago now goes for 2 million. Pretty smart move on Cryptics part because now there's a reason to seek out and collect old ships whereas before I was happy to just have one good ship for a character.

Season 11 Announcement:
Star Trek Online: Season 11: New Dawn Now Live! | Star Trek Online!

Admiralty write-up:
Star Trek Online: Admiralty System | Star Trek Online