Star Trek: Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wait, so that supernova was traveling to Romulus for five hundred years and it still snuck up on them? An exploding star doesn't explode faster than the speed of light so 500 light years is minimum 500 years of travel time.

Maybe they all deserved to die.

No, it was a magical supernova that was travelling faster than light.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the RLM guys said that any sun going supernova would take hundreds of millions of years upon detection to actual kaboom. so yeah, Abrams

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Someone posted that Star Trek Online or whatever addresses that it was some super-super nova that was faster than light and propagated through sub space. Or something...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the RLM guys said that any sun going supernova would take hundreds of millions of years upon detection to actual kaboom. so yeah, Abrams

Correct, a main sequence yellow star does not suddenly go supernova without warning. I mean it was just a throw-away event to give him a hook for a continuity reboot, but instead of saying 'yeah that shit never happened', they've come up with all sorts of ridiculous bullshit to explain how something that was impossible on multiple levels happened anyway.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Someone posted that Star Trek Online or whatever addresses that it was some super-super nova that was faster than light and propagated through sub space. Or something...

So there's an episode of DS9 where a changeling posting as Bashir has rigged a runabout with a proto-matter bomb and enhanced shields. The Federation and Klingons have all gathered around DS9 for what everyone believes is the coming Cardassian/Dominion fleet but the real plan is to use that bomb to blow up the Bajoran sun and wipe out the Dominion's enemies all at once.

I didn't (and still don't) like the premise of sun-destroying technology being that easy to cobble together because it raises questions as to why this doomsday tech hasn't fucked the whole quadrant and Star Trek is already littered with fancy tech used in one episode and never shown again BUT Abrams could have planted a mystery around the sudden explosion of the Romulan's home solar system sun. Was it the Klingons using a cloaked proto-matter bomb? Section 31? Rogue elements loyal to Shinzon? Whatever. It's a mystery, you don't have to settle any of it. You can have all of the following -

1. Why did their sun blow up with no warning
2. Oh fuck who blew up their sun without warning
3. Fuck fuck fuck someone is plotting to blow up the suns of Federation homeworlds in retaliation

There, I used canon to set up some plot threads and make the exploding sun make a bit more sense at the same time. OH NOS THE DOMINION DID IT TO SPARK A NEW WAR IN THE ALPHA QUADRANT THEY SURE ARE FUCKS

Shocking swerves all around.

edit - to still have the "we should help them evac no we shouldn't" shit have it be a nearby sun. The defense network of the home star system is too good, etc etc.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 500 light years claim is not legit, or more likely they realized how stupid it was and adjusted the location of the star. Quick googling brought up this map which given the border proximity yeah that would be a high density area of the empire that got exploded (if this is accurate).

Romulus is at the very top part of the red. This also sort of explains why Spock was trying to stop it from being larger since it is literally reaching the edge of the Federation

hobus_romulan.jpg

This is the larger alpha quadrant 2D map it is based on, if you want a empire size comparison:
pgOW34I.jpg

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Someone with talent would have used Remus as the cause of Romulus' destruction, and just had Spock trying to stop it because of his work with the Romulans in the past. It was that fucking simple.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess the events of Picard retcon it all yet again, cause from what I'm seeing on memory alpha now it the Romulan sun itself that was going nova, and they had at least enough warning for the Federation to organize the rescue armada that got destroyed.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So they have blown up the Romulans, Klingons, and Vulcans homewords now?

Kinda convenient that the two empires that gave the federation a run for it money just kinda of sort exploded now isn't it?

Siliconemelons

You all do know ST generations the dude was blowing up stars left and right just to change the path of the exatacy fantasy ribbon THAT HE COULD HAVE DRIVEN A SHUTTLE INTO AT ANY TIME

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You all do know ST generations the dude was blowing up starts left and right just to change the path of the exatacy fantasy ribbon THAT HE COULD HAVE DRIVEN A SHUTTLE INTO AT ANY TIME

It's alright, everyone thinks that one is a gigantic piece of shit.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Technically in JJ's universe they would have advance warning to prevent the Romulan disaster from happening, so in theory the two universes would have the opposite ones destroyed.

Except for the Klingons, they got screwed in both.

Siliconemelons

So they have blown up the Romulans, Klingons, and Vulcans homewords now?

Kinda convenient that the two empires that gave the federation a run for it money just kinda of sort exploded now isn't it?

Vulcan is blow up in Kelvin time

Kronos was not blow up in discovery that was a "simulation" - but apparently there is a core nuke button laying around the Empire somewhere

ST6 a Klingon moon (praxis) blew up

Romulus is blow up in Prime timeline and not kelvin

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I have a novel idea.

Let's NOT milk an old British man and an old Commie franchise for that cynical TDS buck. Instead, let's bring in fresh stories and fresh faces with fresh optimistic writers who all have a set of actual testicular balls on them.

Sorry. Sorry. I'm so sorry Hollywood, Feminism, and Social Justice. I'm sorry. Please don't Gulag me. I hope you sell lots of popcorn and t-shirts.

Please accept my soypology.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I have a novel idea.

Let's NOT milk an old British man and an old Commie franchise for that cynical TDS buck. Instead, let's bring in fresh stories and fresh faces with fresh optimistic writers who all have a set of actual testicular balls on them.

Sorry. Sorry. I'm so sorry Hollywood, Feminism, and Social Justice. I'm sorry. Please don't Gulag me. I hope you sell lots of popcorn and t-shirts.

Please accept my soypology.

Back in the day when you got your cash grab it was shit like Return to Mayberry, Return to Gilligan's Island, etc. You got everyone back, you went over some of the same beats, no new ground was broken but in the end everyone got what they were looking for. That's all I wanted with this. I just wanted some optimistic Roddenberry vision and Jean Luc Picard fixing some problems with smarts and words. If it does well you can look at maybe going forward. The New Leave it to Beaver ran for four fucking seasons. Four! FOUR SEASONS OF THE NEW LEAVE IT BEAVER.

"But what if we drew immediate parallels to contemporary politics" is just so fucking uninteresting. You know that shit you're drowning in day to day? Well we've got more of it.

I'm starting to understand why The Brady Bunch never talked about 'Nam. It's all ANYONE is talking about. Let's talk about Hawaiian death curses instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users