Star Trek: Picard

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Watched about a half (the other half was meh and thus FFed), and about a half of that was good.
Still has a chance, but the screenplay is bad and ignores or dumps on established (I don't count JarJar's crap as established, even though I liked his first movie as ST-flavored entertainment) science/reality and lore (Alex Shitzman, no surprise), action is stupid and out of place for ST, and the teens can't act but if they keep killing them at least at this pace, there's a chance.
If I wanted an action series for popcorn munchers (brain is off to prevent brain damage) in a sci-fi setting I'd look elsewhere. When I watch ST I expect sci-fi, and this doesn't cut it. That said, I'll admit that I only watched the original, and TNG (my favorite ST). The rest didn't pull me in.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't really watched anything by RLM since the prequel videos they did. But that video above, they kind of brought up my biggest issue with it, which is that it's just confused. Like Picard is confused because of old age and loss etc so we are experiencing it via him so everything we see is confused. That would be ok as a storytelling tactic if I were convinced that it was on purpose. Those guys are star trek ubernerds and if even then can't figure out wtf the association is supposed to be between central elements of the show like the "synthetics" (we went from 2-3 to how many in like 20 years? Hundreds? More?) and the Romulans and what the relationship is there. And the ninja thing, it's nonsense, it always is in these kind of shows, but at least she died. idk, the more I think about those pats of the show the less sense it makes.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Borg will obviously be more a part of this story than an excuse for Romulan tech advancements. Very easy to lump them in with androids under the "synthetic" moniker and they can even pull the obvious twist that Dahj's flashes of Picard were actually for Locutus.

The Data dream sequence for 5 Queen of Hearts could refer to either 5 incarnations of the Borg Queen or 5 daughters, frankly there's not enough concrete details to know which way they are going with it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't really watched anything by RLM since the prequel videos they did. But that video above, they kind of brought up my biggest issue with it, which is that it's just confused. Like Picard is confused because of old age and loss etc so we are experiencing it via him so everything we see is confused. That would be ok as a storytelling tactic if I were convinced that it was on purpose. Those guys are star trek ubernerds and if even then can't figure out wtf the association is supposed to be between central elements of the show like the "synthetics" (we went from 2-3 to how many in like 20 years? Hundreds? More?) and the Romulans and what the relationship is there. And the ninja thing, it's nonsense, it always is in these kind of shows, but at least she died. idk, the more I think about those a

I would presume the romulans have some kind of vendetta vs the synthetics because the actions o fthe synthetics is what stopped the federation from following through on assisting the romulan evacuation. Had the event on mars not happened millions of more romulans could have been saved.

Siliconemelons

Yeah B4 was noted in nemesis to be prior to data and lore - and I thought there was mention of data upgrading him or whatever... but it all still fits... heck data tried to make a daughter in TNG and she was nothing close to what data was.

Why did the synthetics hate Romulans? they could have shown their anger at the federation in many multitudes of ways but they scorched mars? and they screwed it up so bad the atmosphere is "still burning to this day"

How close in time was this vs the actual explosion of the romulan sun? Its hard for me to "get" Picard being so pissed off at THE FEDERATION - even if we hold the line in the interview that was in essence "the evacuation was a monumental task even for the federation" - the federation gave in to picard and started building a HUGE fleet (on mars) then the syntherics WTFBBQ'ed the place... again the federation was then like "We cannot rebuild anything worth a damn before the event, send in spock!" and he failed... again... why is PICARD angsty against the federation?

Also... a friggen romulan war bird is like 3x the size of the GALAXY class star ship.. are we to belive the romulans just SAT THERE DOING NOTHING "HURR DURR SUN GANNA ASSPLODE HURUHRUHR"

Also... if a Romulan MINING ship is again FRIGGEN HUGE (this ship should exist in TNG/Picard time) - CANT THEY HELP?

The basis is weak, lets see how the "Okay we are HERE now, because Z...lets move past Z and focus on the HERE"

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
If you want another sophisticated review here is this one also

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The Borg will obviously be more a part of this story than an excuse for Romulan tech advancements. Very easy to lump them in with androids under the "synthetic" moniker and they can even pull the obvious twist that Dahj's flashes of Picard were actually for Locutus.

The Data dream sequence for 5 Queen of Hearts could refer to either 5 incarnations of the Borg Queen or 5 daughters, frankly there's not enough concrete details to know which way they are going with it.
No, it means they have to decompress the shuttle bay.

Cybsled

The only lore reason I could think of to explain the surprise super nova is the remnants of the Tal Shiar saw this as a way to wrestle control of power or something and kept it secret by suppressing the data.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Basically they came up with a bunch of nonsensical bullshit to try and shore up Abrams ignorance of/contempt for science.

Caliane

Basically they came up with a bunch of nonsensical bullshit to try and shore up Abrams ignorance of/contempt for science.

and that the star had converted the planet's mass into energy, increasing its own power
lol. yeah, that planet logging in at 1 millionth of a percent of the suns mass, had to really ramp up that explosion.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol. yeah, that planet logging in at 1 millionth of a percent of the suns mass, had to really ramp up that explosion.

That jumped out at me as being particularly stupid, but didn't they say there was some kind of rare element on that planet? So maybe that's supposed to be the explanation for why the supernova went FTL. Sorta like how a single graviton torpedo could theoretically destroy an entire planet, despite a photon warhead not having anywhere near that kind of explosive yield.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
the twin thing was stupid as hell and hope its explained a bit more, they just hand waved that shit away like its supposed to make ANY sense at all

also whil wheaton hosts one of those "post show" talks and its on CBS Access so its all official and shit i guess. his face triggers me

also this screenshot could foreshadow 2 things - Q or borg queen

ERaQIy8.jpg

Dirty foreshadow idea ;)

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pass. No more money for companies that have proven themselves to be incompetent and endlessly pushed naive political messages.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

That jumped out at me as being particularly stupid, but didn't they say there was some kind of rare element on that planet? So maybe that's supposed to be the explanation for why the supernova went FTL. Sorta like how a single graviton torpedo could theoretically destroy an entire planet, despite a photon warhead not having anywhere near that kind of explosive yield.
the wiki keeps going. it explains some magic energy based race from the star trek mmo, did something to make the sun explode and travel ftl. This explanation is fine. Just the same nonsensical warp bubble type stuff you have to hand wave for any sci fi tech. trying to justify it with natural phenomenon is where it gets stupid. and it is really hilarious some comic writer took it on themselves to explain it, and managed to come up with an even dumber explanation.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the wiki keeps going. it explains some magic energy based race from the star trek mmo, did something to make the sun explode and travel ftl.

Yeah I remember STO had their own explanation but I don't think that's part of the larger canon.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah B4 was noted in nemesis to be prior to data and lore - and I thought there was mention of data upgrading him or whatever... but it all still fits... heck data tried to make a daughter in TNG and she was nothing close to what data was.

Why did the synthetics hate Romulans? they could have shown their anger at the federation in many multitudes of ways but they scorched mars? and they screwed it up so bad the atmosphere is "still burning to this day"

How close in time was this vs the actual explosion of the romulan sun? Its hard for me to "get" Picard being so pissed off at THE FEDERATION - even if we hold the line in the interview that was in essence "the evacuation was a monumental task even for the federation" - the federation gave in to picard and started building a HUGE fleet (on mars) then the syntherics WTFBBQ'ed the place... again the federation was then like "We cannot rebuild anything worth a damn before the event, send in spock!" and he failed... again... why is PICARD angsty against the federation?

Also... a friggen romulan war bird is like 3x the size of the GALAXY class star ship.. are we to belive the romulans just SAT THERE DOING NOTHING "HURR DURR SUN GANNA ASSPLODE HURUHRUHR"

Also... if a Romulan MINING ship is again FRIGGEN HUGE (this ship should exist in TNG/Picard time) - CANT THEY HELP?

The basis is weak, lets see how the "Okay we are HERE now, because Z...lets move past Z and focus on the HERE"
Did the sun destroy all of the Romulan empire? They have other planets they could go to...

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Lal exceeded Data in almost every way, other than the whole surviving thing. At which Data suffered the same symptoms she did eventually but overcame them.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Did the sun destroy all of the Romulan empire? They have other planets they could go to...

Hobus (the star that went nova) was 500 light years away from Romulus. So yeah it's possible that multiple major Romulan systems aside from their capital were destroyed, which combined with Klingon opportunism on their shared border could have caused the remnants of the government to completely collapse.

Really brings even further attention to what a trash tier hack Abrams is.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wait, so that supernova was traveling to Romulus for five hundred years and it still snuck up on them? An exploding star doesn't explode faster than the speed of light so 500 light years is minimum 500 years of travel time.

Maybe they all deserved to die.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Wait, so that supernova was traveling to Romulus for five hundred years and it still snuck up on them? An exploding star doesn't explode faster than the speed of light so 500 light years is minimum 500 years of travel time.

Maybe they all deserved to die.

Abrams

Hack

It is known