Star Trek: Picard

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Just caught up on the latest two episodes and it's finally picking up the pace and general enjoyment.

I'm glad the universe has developed into something that seems more realistic than previous Trek incarnations. It accurately depicts humanity as still being, well, human; faults and positive traits included.

Interesting take on the Borg.
Elnor is exceptionally one dimensional and boring. Thinking back to the first season of other Trek shows, there's typically one of those characters in the cast, hopefully over time they're able to round the character out a bit and add some interest and conflict to his role.

I know Star Trek is one of those franchises, much like Star Wars that people love to criticize and for the most part I can agree with many complaints raised. At the end of the day though, I'm glad Trek is back and think this is a step forward from the latest movies, Discovery, and Enterprise.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Having said all this the one or two people who like picard more than expanse are nuts.

I see the influence of the Expanse on Picard (and to an extent, Discovery) but the tone, setting, character complexity of the Expanse are so much better developed.

Literally my only complaint about the Expanse is Shohreh Aghdashloo plays a VERY interesting character but because I'm old and a total xenophobe, I can barely understand what she says. Half the time I couldn't tell if she was hatching a plot and manipulating people for good or evil and had to wait for shit to play out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when admiral oh mind melded with blonde dipshit space robot fangirl, wouldn't that be considered lesbian rape

also quick: can you name a single character on this show after 7 episodes? Picard, of course. I know Rios is the name of the captain because Rios wine is great. I have no idea the name of vape nation lady, Dr. Robot Lady, I think the dead android was called Darjeeling after the tea but dunno her sister, and I assume ninja's name is not actually Space Legolas
yea vape lady is just black lady
robot lady is dumb blond
dead droid is dodge like viper
space legolas name is star trek in elvish

the only character of consequence is Seven.

Goatface

i guess there is one of those "talking dead" kind of shows for the star trek shows, hosted by wil wheaton. easy pass i think for most of us
i had no idea that was a thing until heard Nerdrotic with a little flex that his reviews have pulled better youtube views. which made me happy.

iannis

Musty Nester
if I remember that's how he had that resurgence in popularity that he did. Before tabletop he started doing internet reviews of star trek tng, and he was shitting all over his own character.

I think he was doing that pre-big bang theory. probably a part of what landed him that guest spot.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, if only. This is a citation from the TV Guide back in October of 1994, before the show aired early next year -

THEY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE THE BREAKOUT CHARACTER! And commentator on the human condition! Like Quark! And Odo!

That's on par with claiming your little party in nothing but blackness was better than the Battle of Helms Deep. Except they said that afterwards?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
How can you say that. Wesley was there to cock block Picard. If it wasnt for him captain would have been sending his class 5 probes deep inside Beverly every few episodes.

The thing I like most about Wesley is the idea that he's Picard's illegitimate child and/or that Picard sent his father on a mission he knew was likely to end in tragedy so he could get all up in Beverly's ass on the reg.

As completely ridiculous as that fan theory is now that I write it down I see it would be in keeping with this new show. Look for the big reveal in season two of Picard!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That's something you read on r/shittydaystrom right

I'm insulted. My nerding predates Reddit by decades. I've been having dorky conversations about this shit since it originally aired. Reddit is for plebs and I'll have nothing to do with it.

• 1Solidarity

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Wesley had a few things going for him. Wesley is awful no doubt... but at least through Wesley you could understand WHY Picard hates children.

Because they're indulged, pretentious little shits in the future, apparently! Notice he didn't get any of that Beverly Lovin until Wesley moved out.
I never minded Wesley, I mean I would take Wesley's adventures after he left Enterprise over this Picard shit 100%

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Two ships within visual range of each other "Just outside standard sensor range..."

Riker and Troi best part of the entire thing so far, then 7... Picard himself still seems off- but he was best when he was with Riker.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've been enjoying this so far, much more than Discovery. There are some parts that are head-scratchers, I just they'd bring back Berman and let him take the franchise over again.

• 1Barf

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
If by head-scratchers you mean why did they have these characters with pointless storylines, yep. I once again submit, ideas where thrown into a hat, and they were told to write all of them or else.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If by head-scratchers you mean why did they have these characters with pointless storylines, yep. I once again submit, ideas where thrown into a hat, and they were told to write all of them or else.

we won’t know if things are pointless or not until the end where they reveal a bunch of stuff, really.

aside from that, all Star Trek TV shows have pointless side stories. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
we won’t know if things are pointless or not until the end where they reveal a bunch of stuff, really.

aside from that, all Star Trek TV shows have pointless side stories. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ahh yes, the end, how did that work out for GoT?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ahh yes, the end, how did that work out for GoT?

so now we’re talking hypotheticals. Cool. 🙄

again, literally every Star Trek has pointless story lines. All. Of. Them.

Also you’re comparing 7 seasons of build with writers that phoned it in at the end to go do other projects from one franchise to 8episodes of a totally different franchise that’s just starting to build its story and setting and we have no idea how deep it’ll go or what the plans are.
Bad comparison is bad.

• 1Garbage

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
so now we’re talking hypotheticals. Cool. 🙄

again, literally every Star Trek has pointless story lines. All. Of. Them.

Also you’re comparing 7 seasons of build with writers that phoned it in at the end to go do other projects from one franchise to 8episodes of a totally different franchise that’s just starting to build its story and setting and we have no idea how deep it’ll go or what the plans are.
Bad comparison is bad.

Yeah great show until the end. I’m sure Picard will be MIND BLOWING when it cuts to Picard being a Borg all along and this was all a mind trip.