Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm wondering if the real reason is a bit more pragmatic: The actor didn't want to deal with the makeup requirements. That is a pretty common thing in Sci-Fi shows and a lot of actors really hate the process. You basically sit in a chair for 5-6 hours to get made up, then have to wear the makeup for extended periods of time which can sometimes come with health or well-being issues for certain people.

Based on his comments in the article linked above it sounded as if this was the plan before he even started. I guess no reason to believe that is any type of cover. I hate we really only got one bit Hemmer episode that mostly featured Uhura. This whole season really felt like her story, not in a bad way or anything. No idea how much of Uhura’s back story is actually out there.

Cybsled

Solid finale to the season. Probably the most solid debut season to a Trek series since TOS.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Good finale. 10 episodes isn't enough. Spock seeing Romulans for the first time and just raising an eyebrow was perfect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Episode had a ton of ToS callbacks. Uhura’s ear thing, the closeups on Pike with shadows like they did a lot with Kirk, the OG bridge noises, some of the dialogue in the ready room being taken directly from the TOS episode where they first saw Romulans, the OG Romulan theme music and the updated classic uniforms.

I do agree 10 episodes felt too short. Now the long wait for S2

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Damn fine season, wish it had been longer too. Not fully sold on this version of kirk tbh but he's not terrible.
It would be nice if this took over as the main trek show and given more priority but I doubt it.
Also hope the success of the first season doesn't green light them to do their discovery fuckery with season two.

spronk

FPS noob
Great finale, some nice subtle time travel shit that doesn't feel like its Infinity Gauntlet type of ALL IS LOST that plagues Discovery and Picard. Just old Pike explaining how they fucked up to a younger him, knowing full well that his actions will lead him to never existing. Great acting there.

Excellent entire season, you could easily argue this is the strongest first season of any Star Trek show, ever. Hope they can keep it going. The way they deftly interwove the original TOS episode with the moments of this episode along with the way the Romulans think leaves me very hopeful. Still, knowing history we'll probably get a shitty season 2 but oh well.

I saw some tweets ahead of time and watched the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" - S1, E14 or E15 depending on how you count - before this episode, its basically what happened in the original timeline (+7 years) with Kirk leading enterprise, great to see what exactly changed.

Its a bit of a mind fuck knowing that what you think of as your strength, your diplomacy and willingness to embrace peace over violence, leads to a massive war and millions of dead. That... is fucked up!!!

its on Paramount+:

and split up on youtube:

Only one weird thing for me was Unas at the end, Pike didn't really learn anything from his time travels that would help him getting Unas free, and in that alternate timeline she was still in prison so clearly he was never successful. Interesting?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
It was good-- much more of a true homage than the previous episode was to Alien(s)/Predator.
Too bad they couldn't really forge the bond the Kirk/Romulan captain had in the original. And TOS Kirk was way ballsier than he was in this incarnation of him.
Didn't love the Kirk-- too skinny, too Jim Carrey, and not charming enough.
Still great episode and good finale.
Let's pull away from retreads next season. No need to turn the crew into TOS (as they seem to be leaning).

And her...
1657334850140.png

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
So the wokes and jokes like it, but what about everyone else? Or is that all who is watching?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They finished filming most of season 2 before the first episode aired...so I think we can safely say that Season 2 will not be influenced by any public or media reactions to the show. After the Shatner and Chris Pine versions this Kirk is quite a bit different, but he was also a Kirk that had not been molded by his experience with the Enterprise crew. I'm sure they will take the opportunity to fine tune the portrayal when he shows up in season 2.

Cybsled

So the wokes and jokes like it, but what about everyone else? Or is that all who is watching?

If you liked TOS through 90s Star Trek, then you'll probably like it. I think they saw the fan reaction to stuff like Orville and realized they needed to course correct from Discovery/Picard or risk losing the fanbase

Oldbased

> Than U
I've made it to the episode where the doctor sends off his daughter to the nebula tinder date for being lonely after living ship Camelot.
Not sure if that is episode 8 or 9.
It's still a bit too progressive for me and lacks much of the male Testy that made ToS great but it was for sure better than Enterprise and Discovery and on par with TNG.

Cybsled

The nebula episode is probably the "worst" episode of the season and episode 8 (it had some decent parts, but it sort of falls in with those older Trek episodes where everyone is goofy/acting out of character. Like the Bashir "James Bond" where all the crew are characters in the spy novel). Episode 9 is pretty decent, episode 10 is fantastic.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I've made it to the episode where the doctor sends off his daughter to the nebula tinder date for being lonely after living ship Camelot.
Not sure if that is episode 8 or 9.
It's still a bit too progressive for me and lacks much of the male Testy that made ToS great but it was for sure better than Enterprise and Discovery and on par with TNG.

TNG, if you recall, had a sketchy first season. And as for testosterone content, I think SNW has more than TNG ever had right out of the gate.

Pike has already had 3 girlfriends in 10 episodes.

Oldbased

> Than U
TNG, if you recall, had a sketchy first season. And as for testosterone content, I think SNW has more than TNG ever had right out of the gate.

Pike has already had 3 girlfriends in 10 episodes.
It's so odd. When TNG came out I remember watching nothing else all week except it, even in first season. Worked so much back then I got little TV time, but a few years ago I did go back and watch all TNG again and you are right, watching it now they acted like robots and even the filming was shit.
Also seeing a white guy bang 3 girls isn't exactly what I'd call a T rush. That used to be a given, but in 2022 this is how far we've fallen on the alpha ladder.
Kirk would have banged 15 while punching 10 more in the dick.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
It's so odd. When TNG came out I remember watching nothing else all week except it, even in first season. Worked so much back then I got little TV time, but a few years ago I did go back and watch all TNG again and you are right, watching it now they acted like robots and even the filming was shit.
Also seeing a white guy bang 3 girls isn't exactly what I'd call a T rush. That used to be a given, but in 2022 this is how far we've fallen on the alpha ladder.
Kirk would have banged 15 while punching 10 more in the dick.
I recall doing much the same with TNG; waiting for each episode and then discussing them with friends. At that point in time there were two distinct things about TNG; 1) it really was the ONLY major TV sci-fi offering in its time. and 2) It had a pre-existing loyal fan-base that did not know what to make of it. It certainly wasn't TOS and the characters were new and different and, with the exception of Data (who kind of was Spock...), everyone else needed time to grow and evolve on the audience. Let's face it, the new crew has charm and chemistry. Spock, Pike and Chapel have already demonstrated more charisma, charm and chemistry than the entire first season of TNG (which was a heck of a lot longer). And need I mention Wesley Crusher, boy genius? Ugh... At least the SNW crew had the good sense to amputate the cancer-ridden transporter daughter bit. That was annoying and potentially toxic, and they figured that out a year before they even had a chance to test it with audiences.

TNG was rocky, took risks, but it was the ONLY real sci-fi franchise going at the time and it was the ONLY Star Trek option since the films. And I hear you-- I remember having the VCR set up to record it too. Was a whole different age!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
neat

Star Trek will be at San Diego Comic Con July 23 to talk about SNW season 2 and Picard season 3

Oldbased

> Than U
Ok that was a bit wierd. Seeing fucked up Spock in the future altered timeline brought back odd movie 2 vibes.
Irony being Spock still does actually die in the real timeline,. but he was able to thumbdrive his soul into Bones.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I loved that finale, that was a great hour of Star Trek. What a first season.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
20220723_181827.jpg

Odd crossover....directed by Jonathan Frakes and a mixture of animated and live action