Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Cybsled

They released the entire 1st season for free on Youtube, presumably as a run-up to S2 coming out soon. I suspect it won't stay up forever

If you haven't seen the show yet, excellent time to give it a watch

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
S1e4, spock says "phenomenons". Mother fucking Spock.

I like this show but I dunno if I can keep going

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I cannot see how this series ends up leading into TOS without them declaring this another altered time line or alternate universe. They are adding/changing a lot of stuff.

That said episode 1 of Season 2 was pretty good.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I cannot see how this series ends up leading into TOS without them declaring this another altered time line or alternate universe. They are adding/changing a lot of stuff.

That said episode 1 of Season 2 was pretty good.
i agree. i haven't watched the new episode yet, but when i watched season 1, i didn't think of it as really having much to do with TOS, just that it was a faithful continuation of trek stories. i mean, i know that's sort of weird because i praised how faithful they were to the TOS characters but it's just too modern looking to me to feel like we went BACKWARDS in time instead of forward, you know? i didn't really pay much attention to areas where they were painting themselves into a corner when it comes to syncing up with TOS, i know there had to be issues, but i was happy with the show fundamentally understanding what makes good trek, instead of that discovery nonsense.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

You can't really escape the modern look, though. It's supposed to be the future - you can try to pay homage to the 1960s low budget version of that, but ultimately you have to make it look future-ish in terms of how modern audiences would consider something to look futuristic

• 1Like

Juvarisx

Florida
You can't really escape the modern look, though. It's supposed to be the future - you can try to pay homage to the 1960s low budget version of that, but ultimately you have to make it look future-ish in terms of how modern audiences would consider something to look futuristic

You say that but Andor disagrees. They went full analogue and old view screens for it and it looked great. I think the problem is it takes something called effort and fuck if Akiva Goldsman is going to do that.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
You say that but Andor disagrees. They went full analogue and old view screens for it and it looked great. I think the problem is it takes something called effort and fuck if Akiva Goldsman is going to do that.
At a cost of a quarter billion dollars.

Cybsled

The difference is Star Wars isn’t billed as “this is Earth in the future”.

Same reason Trek has had to retcon all the lore from TOS that conflicts with our experienced past.

1990s were a long way away in the 60s and now they’re 30ish years in the past. So when TOS is like “In the 90s we traveled to Jupiter and had genetic super soldiers take over Asia”, you gotta figure out how to either spin that, reimagine it, or fully retcon it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I really wish they would just say at some point that this in an alternate time line or an alternate universe from TOS. Then they can do whatever they want and the prime time line is fine. I like the show, but trying to say it's still the prime time line is whats irking me.

Cybsled

If the concerns about their handling of the Gorn, I suspect they can always end up revealing that the Gorn in SNW aren't the same Gorn as in TOS.

I did laugh that SNW basically revamped the Klingons to be more like what people are used to, though. There are some Disco Klingon influences, but at least they don't look like Xenomorphs anymore lol

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I really wish they would just say at some point that this in an alternate time line or an alternate universe from TOS. Then they can do whatever they want and the prime time line is fine. I like the show, but trying to say it's still the prime time line is whats irking me.

I thought this was in the same timeline as Discovery, which had an established timeline. But I never watched Disco so was going off bits and pieces of thread on here.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Do they have to, though, when n this timeline, Uhura is a boy?

FML, I can give them a pass on a lot of things, but cmon. Uhura had hair and looked like an actual biological woman.

• 1Picard

Cybsled

This is Young Uhura, she still has about a decade before TOS

• 1Like

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
At the end of season 2 of Discovery they sent the Discovery and her crew forward in time about 930 years iirc. Pike was the acting captain of Discovery for that season until that point. They then had a wrap up of scrubbing Discovery, her crew, the spore drive, and all of their missions from the Star Fleet Data base and classified everything about them beyond top secret.

However we know that would never work.

The Klingons who fought Discovery in a Klingon war that was invented for Season one of Discovery, made no such promise to scrub their existence. Nor did any of the other planets or being outside of Star Fleet that Discovery helped etc. Nor did the Terran Empire for the Mirror Universe where Georgio is from.

My point being I see this as continuity breaking is all.

Cybsled

Oddly enough, the Star Trek MMO tried their best to answer this...they had a whole plot line about some time traveling Disco Klingons try to weaponize the spore tech

Was kind of a weak story if you didn't care about Discovery, but at least it leads to a storyline where you visit Klingon hell with Martok and find Gowron's soul in limbo and he is still salty as fuck about Worf

• 1Worf

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
It's funny how much import is being placed on canon. I am a huge TOS nerd. I also geeked out to TNG in real time. Remember back when you had to WAIT for a next episode or God forbid a next season? Think Picard in borg make-up saying "resistance is futile." I suppose Game of Thrones did bring that back into vogue in the 21st century (only they sort of did it in a bad way most seasons...).

As an old school Trekkie, I like the "look" of the show. As an old-school science fiction fan, I am HATING how all things relating to consistency, foreshadowing, coherency can just be thrown into the wastebasket because of "the multiverse." Or alternate realities, or whatever. That's laziness.

This show suffers from poor writing when they were handed half-century old good characters. When, again God forbid, they actually CREATED a good character (eg., Hemmer), they just throw them away (unless the multiverse resurrects him... but I think the actor himself said that can't happen).

The show is a bag of caramel popcorn ,or Jordan almonds, or a box of Cadbury chocolates. It's pretty and sweet and looks good when you get it (even if when you bite into it you might have regrets).

I love to deep dive on shows and novels. It was a shit ton of fun to do so with shows like Babylon 5 and The Expanse. It's hard to do it with this show because the writer's/producers are such a mixed bag. It's clear that some people on the production staff really give a shit about the source material. But it is overwhelmingly clear that the major emphasis is to crank out a pretty show for a set fan-base, while flashing shining stupid stuff at a new generation of idiots. But, you must not alienate this new audience with too much baggage (or too many easter eggs). The result is a hot, stupid mess like the doctor/nurse extended fight scene. Fuck, even a couple of Mongoloid Klingons from the old series should have been able to eviscerate those two in under a minute! So irritating!!!

Yes, I am an asshole for putting this much mental energy into this post; so lay it on me. I'm a bigger asshole because I will watch every damn episode as it comes out (and I am probably their most integral demographic). I also understand that every show is allowed to have a few clunker episodes. Back when a television series clocked 22-24 episodes a season, it was expected that most episodes would only achieve entertainment status. Now, in the age of the multi-million dollar per episode budget paired with an 8-10 episode season, it is fair to expect a little more than moronic. This episode was moronic. Pretty. But moronic. That's what I want from a one-time high school date, not after I've-been-waiting-a-year-for-this show.

Give me a break.

But fuck Nurse Chapel is still stunning in every scene... Still not enough.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1st episode good start, only 10s of rebeka romjin, and only 1minute of fat urhura

a lot of nurse time for you sickos