Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Oldbased

> Than U
You NEVER need money to watch Paramount+ without ads. They release multiple free month codes every month and have for 2 years.
Use code, wait a few hours and cancel. When the month runs out, dig up new code and apply, yes to existing accounts even.
Been doing this for 2 years now without paying a dime.
Currently using code TARGET30 until May27th on my account.
Rajaah Rajaah

Picard was a bit weird. I loved 1883. Halo is for sure worth a watch although todays episode is the first to not have John in it which bummed me a bit.
Not sure which was worse this year.
Seeing Stacy Abrams in Discovery as some universe POTUS or seeing Will Wheaton in Picard as a time traveler.
That other series was good too. Started with a S I think last fall, had Whoopie Fuckberg in it though, although as a actor she does decent and it wasn't too leftish nutso.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Huge fan of TOS. I am, and will always be, appreciative of how they cannibalized the original idea of ST:TOS with "The Menagerie" episode.

Despite being an old fart Trekkie, I cannot keep up with the newer series after ST:TNG. However, the idea of Pike/Spock in the spirit of The Menagerie and TOS is intriguing enough for me to give it a try. I won't pay the subscription though. Interesting and very helpful tip on this forum for using the codes. Provided, of course, I have the vigilance to unsubscribe...

But, if it is a politically-correct, we got throw every ethnicity and touchy-feely #me-too theme into it, it will kill me. Star Trek TOS holds up, even with the womanizing and the 60's themes because it was a generation or two ahead of its time for its first two seasons. Think about how multi-cultural it was for it's day without being nauseating to the people of its day. If it is really revolutionary, and sticks to it's retro-future substrates of the TOS, it will be a very interesting, progressive show for NOT being woke-culture. Maybe in the 24th century (if that's when it is), men have returned to being men, etc...

That would be cool.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Huge fan of TOS. I am, and will always be, appreciative of how the cannibalized the original idea of ST:TOS with "The Menagerie" episode.

Despite being an old fart Trekkie, I cannot keep up with the newer series after ST:TNG. However, the idea of Pike/Spock in the spirit of The Menagerie and TOS is intriguing enough for me to give it a try. I won't pay the subscription though. Interesting and very helpful tip on this forum for using the codes. Provided, of course, I have the vigilance to unsubscribe...

But, if it is a politically-correct, we got throw every ethnicity and touchy-feely #me-too theme into it, it will kill me. Star Trek TOS holds up, even with the womanizing and the 60's themes because it was a generation or two ahead of its time for its first two seasons. Think about how multi-cultural it was for it's day without being nauseating to the people of its day. If it is really revolutionary, and sticks to it's retro-future substrates of the TOS, it will be a very interesting, progressive show for NOT being woke-culture. Maybe in the 24th century (if that's when it is), men have returned to being men, etc...

That would be cool.
I don't agree.

Star Trek is literally the only big franchise which should be multi cultural, it's set in Earth's future when it's an open border communist paradise.

However the people in the future don't recognise their differences all that much. It's a curiosity to them if they are reminded of slavery or racism existing. Or at least it was in TOS and TNG.

Another interesting thing is that they showed settler worlds, like the planet of the black people or the white trash irish planet, and how backwards holding on to traditions that strongly is.

The issue is the SJW writing acknowledging far left and Democrat talking points with no subtly and reversing course on the idyllic post racial future Earth.

• 2Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Well they already threw in a modern day reference in the first episode, guess it wouldn't be a new age trek without that now. Anyways that's fine as the rest of the season looks like it'll be back to actually exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life, we really don't need a 3rd show to tell us present times are shit. The overall look of the show looks really good, better than discovery, from the inner parts of the ship right down to the uniforms.

Oldbased

> Than U
Welp. I am agreeing with Cyb. That means the show is over folks. It was nice knowing all of you. Mostly.

• 2Worf

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Yup- Chris, you said what I was trying to say (or thought I said). TOS IS multicultural, progressive, far ahead of its time without being self-aggrandizing, nauseating or cow-towing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I liked episode one. Also seems like this will be truly episodic, which is a nice change.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
First episode was good. Not overly complex. Quite a few fan easter-eggs. Kept things moving with a simple set-up and an equally simple plot.

I liked it. aa

spronk

FPS noob
I really enjoyed it. Cast is fantastic, they have good chemistry together, sets/visuals are great, pacing is great. Felt very much like an episode of TOS with modern look.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Nurse Chapel was surprisingly fun. I'm looking forward to the Andorian (well Aenar) chief engineer. Its about damn time that we had an Andorian as a main character. Came so close with Shran but then UPN went belly-up.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This was really good I thought. Looking forward to more assuming the quality keeps up.

I missed most of the older ST with the exception of TNG. Going back now and watching them now. Did TNG again, 90% of discovery (skipped a lot of season 3) , now doing DS9 as I only watched the 1st season when it originally aired. There is a HUGE step up in writing going from Discovery to DS9.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wait,

This is actually good? There is a chance that a descent Star Trek series is actually happening? Now, I have a reason to get a free subscription to Paramount +.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DS9 had to compete with BS5 a couple seasons in, which forced the writers to up their game. P+ Treks don't even need to compete with D+

Oldbased

> Than U
Wait,

This is actually good? There is a chance that a descent Star Trek series is actually happening? Now, I have a reason to get a free subscription to Paramount +.
It's 5 year mission is to boldly go where only trannies, gays and strong black women have gone before. Basically it takes place in a closet where people hang themselves. It does have spock though so he spends most of the episodes giving that this is so illogical look but only when he isn't fucking some chick on the best planet ever, a sandy shithole known as Vulcan.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
Wait,

only 1 episode but it was good, very classic TOS/TNG season 1 vibes with updated visuals. Who knows, the rest of the season could suck ass but so far every other new live Star Trek show has been a dumpster fire from episode 1 so theres hope

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The whole woke thing does not make sense in Rodenberrys Star Trek, this was supposed to be THE utopia after all the wars and when finally humans ascended past all the trivialities. Not saying this show has it, I have not seen it, but just a thought I wanted to share.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
1 episode in and feels much better then the whole of Picard season 2.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought this was fine, although all my sympathy was with the aliens ;p

They were remarkably restrained for people finding shapeshifting aliens invading their most important military site, their response to 'Give peace a chance' was pretty reasonable when it was coming from people who knew literally nothing about them or their situation, and they took 'Well fuck you, do what we say or we nuke you from orbit' surprisingly gracefully.

I can't help but think of the alternate reality, where the Enterprise comes down and then the separatists start launching ground nukes because they figure the government allied with Federation.