Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Fucker

Log Wizard
There is a lack of charisma with the cast. Its as if they are reading the lines. I have nothing emotionally invested with the cast save who and what they represent. Nobody will ever be Leonard Nimoy just as nobody will ever be Brent Spiner. The next generation was partially successful because it did not attempt to recreate. That cast and the writing that went with it just worked better. If they could just do a show with a new cast and a new ship that still was based around exploration, it might work fine.

Casting and writing are everything.
It's easier for lazy, uncreative people to recycle than it is to conjure up something new.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This one at least doesn't look like it will suck. I mean Picard looked bad from the trailers alone.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's going to suck because it's original series memberberries #3.

They should have progressed the timeline.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's going to suck because it's original series memberberries #3.

They should have progressed the timeline.
They don't know how to do that, see Picard series. This is classic battered wife syndrome. You won't admit the actual problem, a JJ Abrams stooge is in control of everything Star Trek, and instead find meaningless other things they could have done differently that might have resulted in a better show. Because you know, deep down, that thing that actually needs fixing is never going to be fixed.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
They don't know how to do that, see Picard series. This is classic battered wife syndrome. You won't admit the actual problem, a JJ Abrams stooge is in control of everything Star Trek, and instead find meaningless other things they could have done differently that might have resulted in a better show. Because you know, deep down, that thing that actually needs fixing is never going to be fixed.
Oh no, it's mainly JJ stooges. I don't disagree.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If only they could actually do a show that would have nothing to do with current politics or views and everything to do with exploration of the unknown.

spronk

FPS noob
Opening looks really good, hopeful for this show. Still haven't watched the latest seasons of Discovery or Picard and zero motivation to do so.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If only they could actually do a show that would have nothing to do with current politics or views and everything to do with exploration of the unknown.
lol that wouldn't be very star trek.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Hate to break it to you, but even TOS did that and is core to pretty much every Sci-Fi show ever: You take a political or societal issue, paint it green and give it strange looking clothes and call it an unfamiliar name, then present it to the audience in a way where a core message is given to them without the obvious trappings of the issue that may influence their bias.

Classic example is that TOS episode where they travel to that planet where the people have the half black/half white faces. Their species is locked in a race war because the side of the face which is black or white is different on various people. The audience then thinks "well that's fucking dumb, they look pretty much the same" and the crew of the Enterprise thinks the same. At the end of the episode, nothing is really solved between those two different aliens and it is implied their race is doomed because they allowed their society to get engulfed by something that on the surface seems pretty petty.

The key to writing stuff like that they don't take a side of either alien - they just point out the whole core conflict with the aliens is illogical

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This show is actually somewhat promising since Pike is involved, you've got the old uniforms, etc. I'll watch it.

However, if it's written by the same credit-less gang as Picard, then fuuuuuuck.

Personally, I'm appalled that they haven't mined the massive amount of potential between TOS and TNG. Something like 80 years went by that Star Trek has never even touched, outside of Yesterday's Enterprise.

(Yeah, I know the writers of Nu Trek haven't seen old Trek but still, I can dream)

Since we got Enterprise A/D/E all getting plenty of airtime, you have two ready-to-go shows that they never tapped into:

Enterprise-B: Excelsior-class ship, perhaps captained by an older Sulu (would have been better ten or fifteen years ago when Takei could do more). Could be sort of a combination of Picard (old guy leads fresh young crew) and TOS (episodes are mostly standalone, exploring and solving problems).

Enterprise-C: Ambassador-class ship, the only one made of its kind, designed to make peace with other governments during a time with a lot of conflict going on. Captained by Rachel Garrett. This show is more serialized and more focused on combat, etc, with a much more advanced ship that has a very important destiny to fulfill. Series finale could be a remake of Yesterday's Enterprise with CGI putting the modern characters over the old ones, and show their final battle after they were sent back and the results of the sacrifice.

Either of those shows, with good writers, could have been incredible and filled in some of a completely-untapped era.

Also, look at how goddamn sexy Enterprise-C is:

1651398482096.png

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Show really picks up when Worf joins.

That's at the beginning of Season 4, yeah?

I'm watching DS9 now and picked up halfway through S4, since I watched the first half of the show in the past. I stopped at the wrong time, for sure.

Can't say enough good things about DS9. This is such a good watch. Made it a goal to get through the rest of S4 this week, watching a couple episodes a night.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This will suck because it's the same fuckers involved as with Picard and Discovery.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hate to break it to you, but even TOS did that and is core to pretty much every Sci-Fi show ever: You take a political or societal issue, paint it green and give it strange looking clothes and call it an unfamiliar name, then present it to the audience in a way where a core message is given to them without the obvious trappings of the issue that may influence their bias.
Theres something fundamentally different about the writing(for all shows) a decade+ ago and today.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

tarb

Trakanon Raider
Wont watch anything until a new creative team is on board, its all trash.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Where is this watchable? Probably Disney Plus / Paramount Plus or some shit?

Any other options? I don't want to give these pricks any money, but I am willing to cautiously give this show some time.