Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Cybsled

Can't go wrong with more Chapel screentime

1687234034136.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I really wish they would just say at some point that this in an alternate time line or an alternate universe from TOS. Then they can do whatever they want and the prime time line is fine. I like the show, but trying to say it's still the prime time line is whats irking me.
I think that is one of the absolute flaws of modern spin-offs.
A narrative text is confined to its cultural and temporal context. You can re-imagine it, update it, try to view it through its own contextual lens/lenses. But when you try to turn a text into a coherent, linear, history retrospectively, you end up working too hard. Plus, you end up with so many contrivances.

I am tired of multiverse crap.

Did anyone come down so hard on the film version of Frankenstein that deviated so drastically from the source material? Maybe that's a bad example...

Doctor Who is probably a better example. Try to explain some crap, but just move forward and when you get a Tom Baker or a David Tennant, just run with it!

I guess I am a hardcore TOS Trekkie... I don't care as long as you put out a good product. Make me sit through 3 seasons of shitty Picard and I'm pissed. Make a good show that has Spock and Chapel fucking sideways on a ringed planetoid somewhere and I'll be okay with it (as long as it is smart, well-written, and entertaining).

The best episode of Doctor Who ever (probably), "Blink," didn't really have to be a Doctor Who episode at all, did it? That's the great joy of episodic fiction. Episodic Sci-Fi removes all constraints. The Trekkies and Trekker bitching minority will be just that. I loved the stupid dress-up episode last season (when almost everyone else hated it). Keep me entertained and be smart about it. It's fiction. No one is renaming 1984 to 2084...

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think that is one of the absolute flaws of modern spin-offs.
A narrative text is confined to its cultural and temporal context. You can re-imagine it, update it, try to view it through its own contextual lens/lenses. But when you try to turn a text into a coherent, linear, history retrospectively, you end up working too hard. Plus, you end up with so many contrivances.

I am tired of multiverse crap.

Did anyone come down so hard on the film version of Frankenstein that deviated so drastically from the source material? Maybe that's a bad example...

Doctor Who is probably a better example. Try to explain some crap, but just move forward and when you get a Tom Baker or a David Tennant, just run with it!

I guess I am a hardcore TOS Trekkie... I don't care as long as you put out a good product. Make me sit through 3 seasons of shitty Picard and I'm pissed. Make a good show that has Spock and Chapel fucking sideways on a ringed planetoid somewhere and I'll be okay with it (as long as it is smart, well-written, and entertaining).

The best episode of Doctor Who ever (probably), "Blink," didn't really have to be a Doctor Who episode at all, did it? That's the great joy of episodic fiction. Episodic Sci-Fi removes all constraints. The Trekkies and Trekker bitching minority will be just that. I loved the stupid dress-up episode last season (when almost everyone else hated it). Keep me entertained and be smart about it. It's fiction. No one is renaming 1984 to 2084...

The dress up episode last season was great because you could also tell that the whole cast was having a great time with it. It was cheesy, looked fun, and everyone was completely selling it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

If there is one thing actors love in tv shows, it is episodes where they play their character differently. You just know the Voyager cast probably loved being evil in the episode “Living Witness”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
They also all love the Mirror Universe episodes when they get to be the ones being their inverse characters. And I have no issues with the Mirror Universe stuff because at the end of the arc we know it is in the Mirror Universe not the Prime Universe.

In Voyager I loved the two part arc of 'The Year of Hell'. Not only because it showed Voyager actually having damage that they could not miracle repair, but it had Red Fucking Foreman as the "Villain". And at the end of the arc the Universe was changed, but in a way no one knew it happened do to the proper time changes. I know I say proper time change like I have a freaking clue how changing the past will actually happen, and that is impossible to know. Still I liked this arc treatment better than what they did with Discovery.

All that said, I really enjoy Strange New Worlds. I hope they keep up the good work for a few more seasons too.

• 1Like

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Solid non space episode. The Court Marshal when about as expected. Chapel felt absent, but she was there, sorta weird idle use of her character.

I still cannot figure out what the ranks are completely.
I know it's the stripes on the shirt cuffs similar to TOS, but they are messed up maybe? So far no one has been called a Full Commander O-5

Thick Solid Thin Solid Thick Solid = Captain O-6 (Pike)
****** Missing Commander O-5
Thick Solid Thick Solid = Lieutenant Commander O-4 (Number One, M'Benga)
Thick Solid Thin Solid = Lieutenant O-3 (Spock, Singh, Ortegas)
Thick Solid = Lieutenant Junior Grade O-2 (Sam Kirk, Mitchell)
Thin Solid = Ensign O-1 (Uhra, Christina)

Since the Court Marshal it was stated Number One is a Lieutenant Commander, it's making me wonder what a Full Commander grade would be.
In ToS every thing was like above but moved up on rank. Meaning two thick solids was a full commander. And Ensigns had no braid on their cuffs. I think they goofed and at some point will just promote people to fix it. But the missing Full Commander braids right now are throwing me off.

Nit picking I know, but just something that was bugging me this episode for some reason.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Honestly, I had two minor concerns and one MAJOR concern about this episode:
  1. It was a snoozer, talk-fest that lacked exceptional writing. Some writers can construct dialogues and soliloquies which are beautiful, complex and nothing short of delicious. Not these guys... and you need that for a legal drama,
  2. It was another retread of a TOS episode. Could it be an "homage?" Could it be a cheap and easy way to make an episode that Trekkies will say "hey that's like when (Kirk/Spock/Data) was on trial. Now I have wood! But, again seriously, it was not a very compelling legal episode. Cookie cutter at best.
  3. GENETIC ENHANCEMENT?!? Really, that's the hill the future is laying the gauntlet over? It's the ONLY way that humanity will survive!! Whether it's genetic enhancement of the food supply (as we already do) so that it can feed billions or grow in austere or alien climates or whether it is utilized to allow humans to live in conditions that our current DNA would not permit! It is already utilized to cure cancers and make vaccines and chemo-therapies.
There is absolutely no way that the human species moves forward in the galaxy without it. To lay this down as the big bad is silly. And, for those who may reply with one hundred ways that the eugenics wars occurred and what is "really meant" by the genetic modification laws, let me stop you there-- they didn't explain them. If they tried, I suspect, the episode would have been even dumber. Because it's dumb...
The only real saving graces are the characters and their actors. Even when they are put into silly situations suffering from craft of lazy or mediocre authors, they work; and you have to love them.
But damn, man, you got 8 episodes (at best) left and the first two definitely aren't home runs. They were more like a walk on single and a bunt.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
What the fuck, have you not read Dune? Read Dune, learn the lesson of the Tleilaxu, then come back when you know what you're talking about.

Genetic alteration of the human genome is obviously a hill worth dying on. Once you go down that road you are a non-sentient human species and must be destroyed for the survival of humanity.

The problem with the genetic alteration plot on SNW isnt that they made it the big bad. Its the fucking opposite. Its that they're gonna end the arc with accepting genetic alteration as OK.

For fucks sakes. Don't make a machine in the image of the human mind. And don't fuck with the human genome. These werent just neat features in some sci fi books. They're two of the most important rules for the survival of the human race, on the same level as "we have to get off this rock".

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Season: 2
Episode: 2
Air date: 2023-06-22

Guest stars: Adrian Holmes, Alex Kapp, Melanie Scrofano, Yetide Badaki, Jim Annan, Anna Claire Beitel, Catherine Black, Eugene A. Clark, Nicky Guadagni, Beth Hornby, Graeme Somerville, Iain Stewart, David Benjamin Tomlinson, Kimberly-Ann Truong
Commander Una faces court-martial along with possible imprisonment and dishonorable dismissal from Starfleet, and her defense is in the hands of a lawyer who’s also a childhood friend with whom she had a terrible falling out.

This article about Star Trek ranks popped up on my news feed today. I am guessing since I searched it last week.

Anyone it is the ranks used in TOS and shows that in SNW that they have goofed. Pretty much like I said before. They have Lieutenant Commanders wearing Commander stripes, Lieutenants wearing Lieutenant Commander stripes, Lieutenant Junior Grades wearing Lieutenant stripes. and Ensigns wearing Lieutenant JG stripes.

So this article, which I lost the link to but kept the screen shot, proved me right for now.

Attachments

• Star Trek TOS Rank Stripes.jpg
    Star Trek TOS Rank Stripes.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 20

Cybsled

Great episode. Clever way to bring Kirk into it and I liked the callback to the Temporal Agency from Enterprise

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I dread so many episodes like this (more recently because Picard S2 I suppose), but this was very good.

• 1Like

Cybsled

On a side note, I liked the way the actor played Kirk this time around. He gave off a bigger Kirk vibe than his previous episode

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show had my curiosity. There were some episodes that were good and some that were fine.

That episode got my attention.

That was easily the best episode of the series. This show would be insane if written and acted(The chemistry between the two actors felt genuine) to the degree that one had been. I would say that was one of the best episodes for any Star Trek series. That is the kind of episode that would make me eager for the next showing.

I will say I was a bit miffed at the diversity monster rearing its head right at the end.

This
1688315623688.png

Plus this
1688315650437.png

Does not really equal

1688315711678.png

I can honestly say I was still a little on the fence about the casting and such but the show has grown on me. It is nice to have a new Star Trek that feels like what it should be.

Ok I am editing my own post. I never realized how dark skinned they made the original Khan. I sit corrected.

1688315850733.png

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Khan was always supposed to be from Asia/India and his genetics were a mishmash of various ethnicities. That is lore going back to TOS.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
It was a good example of how you can write science fiction without pandering while still paying respect to the source material.

Honestly, my biggest nitpick would be how quickly Kirk learns to drive (at least they didn't give him a vehicle with a clutch). Solidly entertaining. They also did not overstate central metaphysical question that the episode asked. Thanks for not treating us like dummies...

The only thing that was missing was Van Damme!
1688326726517.png

velk

Trakanon Raider
Khan was always supposed to be from Asia/India and his genetics were a mishmash of various ethnicities. That is lore going back to TOS.

Hell, just look at his name, how many white men do you know named Singh ?

It's totally irrelevant to the character in any case, for reasons that should be fucking obvious.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I thought this episode was average at best. And real cool Kirk has professional driving skills capable of handling a 700HP Dodge Challenger Hellcat.