Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Also, it's crystal fucking clear from the way they behave throughout the movies that lightsaber blades are not weightless.

*edit*

And you know what? Go fucking kill yourself Keg. You managed to come up with an argument so goddamn bad that you actually made me speak up in defense of this abortion.

It was clear, back when the original choreographer made the sabers based on Bushido (Because Lucas was copping off of Kurosaw) . Nearly all the fights did have a weight to them. But the prequels fucked that up majorly. Especially with Dooku, who was using essentially Epee style fencing, which is based on very light, flexible foil fighting. It also got fucked up every time they do the stupid shit where one Jedi throws another his saber so they can "dual wield", and for a little bit its like the Jedi is now twice as powerful! (Which makes one wonder why all Jedi don't carry two sabers....Like seriously, they always fight better with two.) But hey it looks cool, so meh.

But yeah, sabers had weight, then they didn't. JJ Abrams did try to bring that back though. Rey and Kylo swing as if there is some serious mass there--which makes the saber fighting look and feel a lot more emotional/better.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Based on what?

It's not an in-universe source but there's a video where Hamill talks about one of his ideas for a lightsaber fight that he and a stunt fighter had come up with just playing around with the props and when he went to George with it George shot it down telling him they had to fight as if the lightsabers were "heavy like a real sword". Apparently he wanted to get too flashy with it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What the fuck man. Catching up on Rebels, and at the end of Season 3 Mon Mothma refuses to help them out when Thrawn ambushes them, resulting in massive casualties to rebel forces. Then in Rogue One she refuses to support the mission to Scarif, so if it wasn't for a mass act of barratry the Rebellion never would have gotten the Death Star plans. Then between Ep 6 and 7, she leads an initiative to disarm the New Republic, resulting in them being unable to stop The First Order from coming into power and the senate being destroyed by Starkiller Base.

How did that retarded bitch keep getting put in charge?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
What the fuck man. Catching up on Rebels, and at the end of Season 3 Mon Mothma refuses to help them out when Thrawn ambushes them, resulting in massive casualties to rebel forces. Then in Rogue One she refuses to support the mission to Scarif, so if it wasn't for a mass act of barratry the Rebellion never would have gotten the Death Star plans. Then between Ep 6 and 7, she leads an initiative to disarm the New Republic, resulting in them being unable to stop The First Order from coming into power and the senate being destroyed by Starkiller Base.

How did that retarded bitch keep getting put in charge?

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Screenings to who exactly? I figured Lucas Film would at least use test audiences for testing of movie endings, but they don't test audience movies at all-- nevermind endings.

At best, the committee that voted on the screenplay sees it according to Royal. Or Kennedy and a few friends and producers who are already sanctimonious about the choices they have made.
archerfilmfestival-web-img_4330_-_h_2017.jpg

• 11Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Funny how some people who didn't like TLJ are so insecure about it, they desperately need it to be a financial flop to validate their opinion.

Just say you didn't like it and move on ...

• 13Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Royal

Screenings to who exactly? I figured Lucas Film would at least use test audiences for testing of movie endings, but they don't test audience movies at all-- nevermind endings.

At best, the committee that voted on the screenplay sees it according to Royal. Or Kennedy and a few friends and producers who are already sanctimonious about the choices they have made.

No like Marvel they don't do public test screenings. They review it internally. I'm sure not everyone at Lucasfilm is involved with that but I would think it's more than just the Story Group (I assume that's who you mean by "the committee"). Some of the executives at Disney are also involved. I know Iger sees them and I would imagine Alan Horn (the head of the studio division) does as well and probably several others. The Rogue One reshoots came out of the feedback from the Disney executives. And a few trusted external people see them as well (Kennedy's old boss Spielberg is one of those).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

It also got fucked up every time they do the stupid shit where one Jedi throws another his saber so they can "dual wield", and for a little bit its like the Jedi is now twice as powerful! (Which makes one wonder why all Jedi don't carry two sabers....Like seriously, they always fight better with two.) But hey it looks cool, so meh.

But yeah, sabers had weight, then they didn't. JJ Abrams did try to bring that back though. Rey and Kylo swing as if there is some serious mass there--which makes the saber fighting look and feel a lot more emotional/better.

Yeah I'm kinda torn on which I prefer. I did like the "rougher" look of the saber fights at the end of TFA. But at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing shit like this on the live action side because hey, it does look cool.

EfuxcFC.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
it really doesn't. best lightsaber fighter in the galaxy has zero training and no fundamental understanding of how to hold a lightsaber. can't make this shit up.

Best evil lightsaber fighter has a bargain bin lightsaber he made out of his mom's vibrator or something.

The side lasers it shoots out are so lol.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Best evil lightsaber fighter has a bargain bin lightsaber he made out of his mom's vibrator or something.

The side lasers it shoots out are so lol.

What really hurt my soul was when they legitimized those dumbass side lasers by showing Ezra pick up an ancient lightsaber with the same shit from the battlefield ruins outside the sith temple.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
But that's why the whole Luke force projection thing is so ingenious.

Kylo Ren is a whiney Darth Vader cosplayers, trying to become a genuine villain. Rey is a Star Wars fangirl literally growing up in an AT-AT and collecting Star Wars OT memorabilia and fantasising about some bad fan-fiction / post-RoTJ super-Luke (the true Mary Sue) that a bunch of horrible EU stuff like books, comics or animated stuff actually coughed up.

But Luke is a "never-meet-your-heroes" disappointment (in line with the King Arthur parallel of the starry-eyed-boy who finds a magic sword, meets a wise wizard and discovers his noble lineage from the OT, as Arthur also obviously ended on both a downer and, while we're at it, on a secluded island holding the last memorabilia of an extinct religion that led him to his early power).

That is why with the force projection narrative trick, Luke (seemingly) becomes for a scene the super-Mary-Sue-Superhero-Jedi-God some fanboys wanted (and the Resistance may need in-universe as a symbol, hence the search in TFA to begin with), without at the same time undermining the other plots of Rey having to forge her own path to a degree or creating Justice-League-style shit-endings with the super-super-guy jumping in last minute and making everyone irrelevant.

• 5Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

This is the closest thing to an in-canon explanation as to why lightsabers don't act weightless.

I like the magnetic pull idea as well. It also helps explain why they cross swords so much. The movie slap fighting where blade attacks are clearly aimed at the other person sword... instead of their head.

The sound of a lightsaber also denotes friction. Alot of it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Kylo Ren is a whiney Darth Vader cosplayers, trying to become a genuine villain. Rey is a Star Wars fangirl literally growing up in an AT-AT and collecting Star Wars OT memorabilia and fantasising about some bad fan-fiction / post-RoTJ super-Luke (the true Mary Sue) that a bunch of horrible EU stuff like books, comics or animated stuff actually coughed up.

But Luke is a "never-meet-your-heroes" disappointment (in line with the King Arthur parallel of the starry-eyed-boy who finds a magic sword, meets a wise wizard and discovers his noble lineage from the OT, as Arthur also obviously ended on both a downer and, while we're at it, on a secluded island holding the last memorabilia of an extinct religion that led him to his early power).

That is why with the force projection narrative trick, Luke (seemingly) becomes for a scene the super-Mary-Sue-Superhero-Jedi-God some fanboys wanted (and the Resistance may need in-universe as a symbol, hence the search in TFA to begin with), without at the same time undermining the other plots of Rey having to forge her own path to a degree or creating Justice-League-style shit-endings with the super-super-guy jumping in last minute and making everyone irrelevant.

Confirmed movie critic

• 2Worf

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Probably the worst post in this thread.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I know I'm late to the party, and I'm sitting here at 1/2 of the way through the movie now that a non-shitty cam torrent came out, but so far not only is this an absolutely terribad Star Wars, it's simply a shitty movie, period. I'll write more once I can manage to finish it without vacillating between cringing and being bored, but basically this movie feels like a bad version of Guardians of the Galaxy that tries to take itself seriously. So far it's juvenile, phony, and tryhard-- it feels like more of a hodge-podge of random Star Wars moments from previous movies, crammed together in some nonsensical fashion to try and pay homage, then bolted together with useless cutesy cut scenes to sell Disney merchandise.

I mean just so far:
- The Leia "resurrection" scene. WTF is that garbage?? I literally guffawed. Why bother blowing up the deck and kill her at all? I'm hoping they explain this shit..
- Who the fuck is this fugly Asian midget chick, why the the fuck is she in the movie, and why do I care about her?
- The interaction between the "vice admiral" and the Pasta-Pilot were just so cringe and so contrived. The entire dialogue of this movie is actually fucking worse than the Lucas remakes.
- Way to fucking totally ruin the whole Rey/Luke storyline. So much potential here that was just dumpstered.
- Is that a nine year old girl flying that X-Wing? Can she keep her head erect with that helmet on?

There's more, but I'm mad and I had to smoke like 3 joints just to make it halfway through this movie so have already forgotten some of the "guffaw" moments I've had. How the fuck this movie scores so high amongst reviewers is beyond me. Total fucking trash so far.

Last edited:
  • 9Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users