Star Wars general purpose movie stuff

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

I liked the idea of 400 years in the past, aside from Yoda there won't be any ties to the current Saga which they seriously need to move away from.

I also think the idea of doing something similar to the MCU vs trilogies is a good idea. A bunch of solo movies loosely tied together coming together in an Avenger type event movie is probably better than trilogies in my opinion.

Not a lot of faith though.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lets turn Star Wars into super hero movies. Terrible.
Yeah, this is going to be Crouching Tiger, Hidden Jedi. It was bad enough when Yoda was flipping around like a maniac in Episode 2 and this is going to take it to a completely new, ridiculously stupid level.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They have to come out with about 3 amazing SW movies in a row before they can win me back... and I don't think they are going to do it with a fucking prequel or origin story. They can fuck right off with that mind-numbing shit.

• 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Not sure how I feel about a Superjedi storyline. The force was always better when there were just little flourishes of the supernatural rather than them plastered all over the place. Another problem 400 years in the past has is aesthetics. Will it still feel like starwars? How would they justify going back to the industrialized look of the OT when we've been shown that only 30 years prior, everything looked art deco? I'm guessing they'll just go ahead and ignore that part... maybe for the better.

The lore they explored in the Jedi Temple segments of Fallen Order was wicked. I'd like to see that in movie world

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so this is the Yoda movie that was being rumored for years and its now being announced? looks like these fools only pretend to learn their lesson when in fact they just keep pushing the bad shit out the door because the fanbois will keep throwing money at the IP, no matter what.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Bah, past is nice for some history or filler.

But we need stuff where we don't know where it is going to end up

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bah, past is nice for some history or filler.

But we need stuff where we don't know where it is going to end up
you can do that with flashbacks or just good old affordable exposition dialogue. i dont care how yoda got his mojo.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Please just let Quentin Tarantino direct the next Star Wars and give us something fun to watch.

• 1Dislike

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not sure how I feel about a Superjedi storyline. The force was always better when there were just little flourishes of the supernatural rather than them plastered all over the place. Another problem 400 years in the past has is aesthetics. Will it still feel like starwars? How would they justify going back to the industrialized look of the OT when we've been shown that only 30 years prior, everything looked art deco? I'm guessing they'll just go ahead and ignore that part... maybe for the better.

The lore they explored in the Jedi Temple segments of Fallen Order was wicked. I'd like to see that in movie world

when kotor and swtor came out there was this big conversation about that exactly and it was basically settled that technology in the star wars universe hit a plateau. there are extreme leaps in society when you have fire, invent the wheel, learn metallurgy, harness electricity, figure out industrialization, etc... but there comes a point where things just sort of stop and stagnate

and while i respect your viewpoint on the force being mystical and all that, i don't think "superjedi" are a problem as long as it's written and directed well. i don't care what kind of story they tell, as long as it's a story that's internally consistent and treats the source material with respect. if it's a well crafted story and put together in a cohesive way, then i don't care if it's about superhero jedi or just some random hobo in the desert that might know a little more than he's leading on.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
At least it addresses a major problem with the new trilogy, developing a multi-part story with no cohesion and no guiding vision just doesn't work. Which, the fact that disney apparently didn't know this... I don't see how that's possible.

idk, the Marvel movies did a lot right that should be coopted for whatever they decide to do with SW going forward.

• 1Like

j00t

i think it's less that disney didn't know about story cohesion, and more about having a deadline. the last jedi isn't necessarily a bad film if you view it in a vacuum. it's just that it takes whatever story path that force awakens laid out and took a sharp left with it. the story it was trying to tell isn't even necessarily the wrong message, especially for the middle part of a trilogy. the whole point of the story is that "things are not as they seem."

there was a really interesting deleted scene on ach-to where rey and luke are training and the village down the hill starts making a bunch of noise and chaos. there's smoke, a bunch of yelling and rey is all panicked, like "something's wrong! i need to save them!" and luke just stands there, completely uncaring. like he's totally grumpy old man who can't be bothered to lift a finger.

so rey runs down, bursts into one of the buildings, lightsaber drawn... turns out they're having some anniversary party. no one's in trouble, there's no danger, and rey just basically ruined it by breaking down their door. then you see luke standing there laughing at her and calling her out for trying to be the galaxy's savior when no one needed, or asked her to. just because it LOOKED like there was a problem, doesn't mean there is. and rey trying to fix what isn't broken, actually created a problem that wasn't there before.

there was some interesting ideas in the film and i definitely thing they deserve to be explored... the idea that both the first order AND the republic are making money off war and that's what created places like canto bight. you can have jedi and sith fighting each other all day long, but no matter who wins, it's not going to change anything because people don't care about that. they still just want to make money and will do whatever it takes.

that being said, i think the story that the force awakens and rise of skywalker was trying to tell was fundamentally a different story than the last jedi and that's what didn't work. on paper, rian saying that he wanted to muddy the waters and stop the hero worship probably fit initially with the main story, but once things got rolling it just turned into a completely separate beast. but at that point, what kind of PR nightmare would happen if they delayed the movie another year? i mean that's what happened with solo and look how that turned out, now imagine that same response for the main trilogy. the execs want that movie out to tie in with merchandising, so just make the film and release it.

ALL THAT BEING SAID...

disney has some weird hard-on for using different directors for the same project and i think that's causing more harm than good. if rian johnson got a whole trilogy i think we'd have a different opinion (might not be a GOOD opinion, but just different) and if JJ was given the middle movie as well, rise of skywalker wouldn't have been so messy... i don't think...

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i think it's less that disney didn't know about story cohesion, and more about having a deadline. the last jedi isn't necessarily a bad film if you view it in a vacuum. it's just that it takes whatever story path that force awakens laid out and took a sharp left with it. the story it was trying to tell isn't even necessarily the wrong message, especially for the middle part of a trilogy.

The "things are not as they seem" is fine when used properly. As you said, though, chopping off any decent thread Force Awakens even potentially set up was dumb. I think the overall idea of subverting expectations was still too overdone far too much in the movie for it to still not be a bad film even on its own, but if it had been Empire (the 2nd film we saw of a 9 film set), it wouldn't be as out of place. Being the follow up to TFA and the 8th movie in the "saga" it was basically the worst idea ever to try and subvert and surprise so much.

Plus you'd still have all of the ridiculous stupid stuff on it's own of the Speed in space chase seen have to keep going this fast but we're running out of fuel, the useless sidequest shit, the nobody will see all of our shuttles heading down to the planet stuff, etc.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think it's less that disney didn't know about story cohesion, and more about having a deadline. the last jedi isn't necessarily a bad film if you view it in a vacuum. it's just that it takes whatever story path that force awakens laid out and took a sharp left with it. the story it was trying to tell isn't even necessarily the wrong message, especially for the middle part of a trilogy. the whole point of the story is that "things are not as they seem."

there was a really interesting deleted scene on ach-to where rey and luke are training and the village down the hill starts making a bunch of noise and chaos. there's smoke, a bunch of yelling and rey is all panicked, like "something's wrong! i need to save them!" and luke just stands there, completely uncaring. like he's totally grumpy old man who can't be bothered to lift a finger.

so rey runs down, bursts into one of the buildings, lightsaber drawn... turns out they're having some anniversary party. no one's in trouble, there's no danger, and rey just basically ruined it by breaking down their door. then you see luke standing there laughing at her and calling her out for trying to be the galaxy's savior when no one needed, or asked her to. just because it LOOKED like there was a problem, doesn't mean there is. and rey trying to fix what isn't broken, actually created a problem that wasn't there before.

there was some interesting ideas in the film and i definitely thing they deserve to be explored... the idea that both the first order AND the republic are making money off war and that's what created places like canto bight. you can have jedi and sith fighting each other all day long, but no matter who wins, it's not going to change anything because people don't care about that. they still just want to make money and will do whatever it takes.

that being said, i think the story that the force awakens and rise of skywalker was trying to tell was fundamentally a different story than the last jedi and that's what didn't work. on paper, rian saying that he wanted to muddy the waters and stop the hero worship probably fit initially with the main story, but once things got rolling it just turned into a completely separate beast. but at that point, what kind of PR nightmare would happen if they delayed the movie another year? i mean that's what happened with solo and look how that turned out, now imagine that same response for the main trilogy. the execs want that movie out to tie in with merchandising, so just make the film and release it.

ALL THAT BEING SAID...

disney has some weird hard-on for using different directors for the same project and i think that's causing more harm than good. if rian johnson got a whole trilogy i think we'd have a different opinion (might not be a GOOD opinion, but just different) and if JJ was given the middle movie as well, rise of skywalker wouldn't have been so messy... i don't think...
i dunno. he would have continued to subvert expectations in each movie contradicting all the events in the previous films.
giphy.gif

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rogue One is a complicated movie (for the Star Wars universe anyways). Every character has a unique set of allegiances and motivations. All the characters, except for Tarkin and Vader are new to the story, and you only have a short time with them before they are killed off. So, it is understandable if the movie feels a bit hallow.

Most casuals don't even know what they just watched by the end of the movie.

Rogue OneAllegianceMotivations
Galen ErsoFamilyProtect his Family
Jyn ErsoNoneRevenge for Death of Family Members & Being Orphaned
Cassian AndorRebel AllianceFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
K-2SORe-programmed ImperialFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
Chirrut & BazeGuardians of the WhillsFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
Saw GerreraAnti-Imperial GuerrillasFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
BodhiImperial DefectorFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
TarkinGalactic EmpireRuthless Military Power & Imperial Expansion
KrennicGalactic EmpirePersonal Status & Bureaucratic Advancement
VaderEmperor PalpatineSith Rule of the Galaxy

j00t

jj and rian have some bad blood between them from before any of the SW stuff happened... and we know that rian can make a decent movie... how much of TLJ was specifically because rian was just bitter at JJ? i agree there was some stupid stuff in TLJ even beyond the subverting expectations nonsense.

j00t

Rogue One is a complicated movie (for the Star Wars universe anyways). Every character has a unique set of allegiances and motivations. All the characters, except for Tarkin and Vader are new to the story, and you only have a short time with them before they are killed off. So, it is understandable if the movie feels a bit hallow.

Most casuals don't even know what they just watched by the end of the movie.

Rogue OneAllegianceMotivations
Galen ErsoFamilyProtect his Family
Jyn ErsoNoneRevenge for Death of Family Members & Being Orphaned
Cassian AndorRebel AllianceFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
K-2SORe-programmed ImperialFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
Chirrut & BazeGuardians of the WhillsFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
Saw GerreraAnti-Imperial GuerrillasFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
BodhiImperial DefectorFight Imperial Domination & Expansion
TarkinGalactic EmpireRuthless Military Power & Imperial Expansion
KrennicGalactic EmpirePersonal Status & Bureaucratic Advancement
VaderEmperor PalpatineSith Rule of the Galaxy

rogue one was a good movie. i don't necessarily think it needed to be made, but it did well with what was trying to do

• 1Like