STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™ (PS5, XSX, Steam, Epic) - early 2023

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Game runs fine on ps5.

Combat, parcours, and puzzles.. none of them are great, all of them end up repetitive.

BoTW did pretty much everything better, a lot.

6/10 at best.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
How much freedom does the game give you compared to Fallen Order? I don't need full open world, but Fallen Order felt too closed off. Did they improve in that regard?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
How much freedom does the game give you compared to Fallen Order? I don't need full open world, but Fallen Order felt too closed off. Did they improve in that regard?

Pretty enclosed and nothing to get you interested. I don't see any point in it.

Skeezer

Molten Core Raider
If you like Star Wars, it’s worth playing. The scenery and music alone make it worth it. It is a AAA title after all. Combat is ok, just adjust the difficulty so that you enjoy your experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's both bigger and more of the same, if that makes sense. the main planet is pretty huge, but there are a bunch of small platforming sections (ziplines, wall running, etc) that are pretty enclosed and linear, same as the first game. but there's also big open sections as well, which the first one didn't really have.

it's sort of cliched to just say that if you liked the first one, you'll like this one, but it's very apropos. it expands on pretty much every area of the first one, without actually adding anything that would bring in new fans.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If you like Star Wars, it’s worth playing. The scenery and music alone make it worth it. It is a AAA title after all. Combat is ok, just adjust the difficulty so that you enjoy your experience.

Changing difficulty won't change the fact that there are only 5 weapons with a few attacks each even after getting all of the (very few) upgrades.

Hitboxes are plain bad on some models.

Comparing combat to Elden Ring, this is a 3/10 at best.

• 1Wow!
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I would be playing this for a decent Star Wars story with Star Wars atmosphere knowing it isn’t an RPG but an action adventure. Not really caring too much about combat options or tons of skill sets like Nioh. Are the technical glitches fixed enough that it’s a smoother experience? I don’t want to go back to 30 FPS. My PS5 is now hooked directly to hdmi 2.1 to my TV with arc back to my receiver for audio - this config then also enables VRR. As long as I am getting 40-45 frames without dropping to 720p like it does in performance mode, I would be ok with that. Did the patch help with this?

spronk

FPS noob
I am starting to get a little burned out on the game now, about 24 hours in only doing main story so far, difficulty has ramped up for sure at Jedi Master while trash is still easy big groups and bosses can be tough, I've skipped 2-3 side bosses since they just 1 shot me right now. XP leveling feels super slow, maybe cuz I've skipped most side quests but I barely have the skill tree filled out and earning XP is slow.

I'm still playing in quality mode (30 fps), a few FPS drops in a few places but mostly doing ok. I haven't yet tried performance mode, was thinking about it but maybe after story when I am doing 100% cleanup.

This reminds me a lot of Hogwarts Legacy, I REALLY enjoyed the first 20-30 hours of that game, the IP nostalgia is great and its awesome running around in a world you really enjoy. After a while though the game is fairly formulaic and feels like a lot of repetitive filler content, and by the end you are long since ready to move on. Its good but not great.

You have to REALLY love Star Wars to ignore the flaws of this game, and if you didn't like the first game you will not like this game at all. Its more of the same. It is done better in every way except for performance optimization.

end of the day I am really enjoying running around in a Star Wars open world, its set around 10 years after Revenge of the Sith and 8 years before A New Hope. Its no KOTOR or even SWTOR in terms of story/characters.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought the first game sucked but I really like this one. About 30 hours into it now, probably about 75% done I'd assume. Lot of time spent cleaning up all the side stuff (the blue crystal things are where the vast majority of your skill points will come from, unless you exploit the 2 hammer dudes in the fort) every time I get a new ability and a bunch of stuff on the map turns green.

Main reason I like it is it seems like they moved away from the shitty Souls-wannabe that Fallen Order was. Aside from the "bonfires" which are still there to respawn enemies, this one reminds me a lot more of a God of War or Uncharted style game. It's definitely not as good as Hogwart's though, or even Dead Island 2 as far as the current crop of games just released go. It sure seems a lot better after taking a 12 or so hour break to play Redfall.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
the game also looks really, really good most of the time these are screenshots from the PS5 version, performance mode off (so RTX is on) no spoilers

52871420043_4c8eea6667_o.jpg

52871362290_5c63b1b204_o.jpg

Fu27UG2aAAENSYi

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I just finished the story. Really enjoyed it. Like the first game, the story and how well they capture the Star Wars setting are the strongest point of the game.

Gameplay wise it improves on the first one but it’s more or less the same and while it’s great at the beginning toward the end like in the first one it felt repetitive.

Looking forward to more. I’m curious to see where they’ll take this story next.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EA Pro 1 month sub on PC: It was a great Star Wars game, pretty good continuation of the first game. I wouldn't buy that for 70 imperial credits though.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Guess I'll just wait for a few more patches.
Until the game can properly scale to run at a fairly constant 75 fps (on my admittedly ageing rig 2700x/1080Ti/3840x1600UW) and still look "really good" or better, I'm just not interested.
Keeping in mind that my resolution is about half way to 4K from 1440p, I can still achieve this with every other game I own. Don't think it's too much to ask, we'll see.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My fave SW game was by far SW Battlefront 2. Had many hundreds of hours in that game until my Origin acct got hacked and lost forever.

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
I'm plodding through it on Jedi Master setting, which can be brutal. Even with all the health perks and several of the blue hologram things that increase health most of the beast bosses will one shot me. The combat just feels clunky compared to say Elden Ring, Bloodborne, etc but I don't hate it.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm plodding through it on Jedi Master setting, which can be brutal. Even with all the health perks and several of the blue hologram things that increase health most of the beast bosses will one shot me. The combat just feels clunky compared to say Elden Ring, Bloodborne, etc but I don't hate it.

Bummer, the clunky unresponsive combat was my primary gripe with the first one.

Might pick it up on sale down the line, meh.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My fave SW game was by far SW Battlefront 2. Had many hundreds of hours in that game until my Origin acct got hacked and lost forever.
That game wasn't what I wanted it to be but it definitely had its moments.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bummer, the clunky unresponsive combat was my primary gripe with the first one.

Might pick it up on sale down the line, meh.
Combat is definitely improved in this one. More stances, more powers, less feeling like a shitty Souls wannabe. Like I said last week, I think this game takes a lot more from games like God of War (and metroidvanias) than it does From Soft's stuff. It's well worth playing now with an EA Pro sub, even more so if you have an AMD GPU or a 40XX series that can take advantage of the DLSS modding people have been doing.