Star Wars : Rogue One

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Why? You speak in absolutes with no reasoning whatsoever. Back up your bold claims with something substantiative.

Nitpicky I know, but I don't agree at all. It's a huge property thateveryoneis plenty familiar with at this point. There's no need to spoon-feed us kiddie stuff for years before getting to the deeper/darker stuff. Though I am open to have my mind changed as I don't feel that strongly on the subject.
We are not the target audience anymore. It's for parents with kids that will spend tons of money on toys. If it's too dark for kids to go to they can't sell anything. I would have no problem if the new trilogy was for kids and we get old school mature shit for us but we don't spend money on ourselves so we're fucked.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We are not the target audience anymore. It's for parents with kids that will spend tons of money on toys. If it's too dark for kids to go to they can't sell anything. I would have no problem if the new trilogy was for kids and we get old school mature shit for us but we don't spend money on ourselves so we're fucked.
Yet somehow deadpool smashed records.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
In the R rated category and amongst Fox's offerings. If Rogue One's domestic box office ends up only equaling Deadpool's worldwide total it will be labeled a disappointment for Disney/Lucasfilm. It shouldn't be but that's how many would see it.

Siliconemelons

As a movie - but does deadpool sell heeps upon heeps of toys to kids? did I kid make their entire family vacation at mouseland because they want to see the real Vader or something at the park? no... the movie needs to be "successful" but its aftersales are what they are truly after.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They're just getting the marketing ramped up, but you won't find the toys in kids section. Look for deadpool dildos, fleshlights, and life sized love dolls to be released soon.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its a star wars movie it will increase sales of prior star wars movies merchandise.

My guess is this movie will actually only produce deadpool numbers because of them blatantly telling the audience it is made for 15 year old girls in there first trailer.

If they wanted star wars seven numbers they would have put vadar front and center.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If they wanted star wars seven numbers they would have put vadar front and center.
They've barely started marketing it. Give it time. It's a fair bet that Vader will be used as the release date approaches to drive home the fact that this is a prequel and not the next movie in the core saga for the more casual fans who don't hang on every shred of news or rumor the entire time the movie is in production.

And I don't expect it will pull down TFA numbers to begin with. That was the relaunch of the franchise after a long hiatus and the buzz it generated as such was insane.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I don't think the Mouse would allow it to get this far out of shape. I do think it's possible they may run into some continuity issues and maybe they're having people in the know of the lore as being promoted by Disney to ensure everything flows. They're jumping all over the timeline over the next 10 years worth of movies so it's possible that their attempt to be cautious and consistent is being interpreted by the media.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
My theory is that Gareth Edwards was given full creative control, wrote a super dark tragedy where most of the heroes die at the end (as would be logical going up against Empire/Vader), Disney took one look at it and was like "Fuck no, this totally goes against our image." Cue reshoots.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
My theory is that Gareth Edwards was given full creative control, wrote a super dark tragedy where most of the heroes die at the end (as would be logical going up against Empire/Vader), Disney took one look at it and was like "Fuck no, this totally goes against our image." Cue reshoots.
There is no way there wasn't an exec or writer in Disney's pocket talking about how the movie doesn't track. This whole thing seems like hyperbole. They could very well not have been happy with an initial cut and wanted to add some levity, or some "familiar" characters, but a 50% reshoot without a release delay is not feasible in movies that are scaled this big, you can't get the effects done in time. If it were a big deal it wouldnt have gone much farther past when Edgar Wright dropped from Ant Man.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
The real story is that it just doesn't have the right feel to it considering it ends 10 minutes before Ep IV begins. Even though people would be able to process them being 2 distinct movies, Disney/Lucasfilm want a slightly less jarring jump between the two. They are slightly softening it up by throwing a little levity and character development in it instead of it just being a full bore action war movie. This whole thing is being way overblown.

Siliconemelons

Also I feel it would be good for world building to show stories where the empire wins and is shown in their full fledged evil domination glory - all the content we have on screen is a bunch of backwaters getting "lucky" so much it makes the empire seem like a little puppy.

Everything we see of how bad the empire is has been them blowing planets up - while horrific its always so macro its disconnected - there has really only been 1 scene at the start of each trilogy (sans ep 1-3) - when they slaughtered luke aunt and uncle and when they execute the survivors of the village at the beginning of ep7. Beyond that everything is here-say etc. of how bad the empire is... we need a complete movie or two showing just how horrific they are and this is a great opportunity, they could show us empire ruled planets and how people live in them in constant fear - while the rebels are seeking info, have troopers execute people in the street for minor law infections - get very dystopian etc.

But no one wants to buy executed street urchin dolls.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Many of the books and comics in the new canon spend a huge amount of time actually showing that the empire, with the exception of Vader and Palpatine, actually weren't monsters but just people with a different point of view of what would be best for the galaxy, so movies setting up the horrors the empire is committing is going against their message now. Although I totally think we need some Vader carnage in this to set up why everyone is so terrified of him.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I want evil to win, the darkside to flourish and more younglings cut down.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
*Checks to see if Lucas is involved..... Nope, no sign, back to waiting for release with a sigh of relief.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I want evil to win, the darkside to flourish and more younglings cut down.
But that is not what the toy companies want.

They want their male lead so they can continue selling star wars toys to the next generation of ten year old boys as they have for generations.

Disney has failed to give them that twice, and now they may also give them a movie to dark and violent for the ten year old's even to see.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Unknown metrics on this but I am not sure if toys for kids would be the best market, Toy for adults as collectibles or game content unlocks for kids/adults could be where the money is at. The majority of the toys I have seen in the aisles for the past 20years has been slowly becoming crap with higher price tags. There has been a much larger market in "Toy" brands geared for the 30-50Yos for some time now.
Awhile i am very picky on what I will buy, some of these other markets have been growing larger.
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/

That whole argument about not being able to sell a dead Solo doll died when Lucas left the franchise. That was his big thing, he also didnt relicense. Thus why we never got a newer version of any of the star wars games, especially Xwing vs Tie. Once it expired from X company, that was it for that game.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My wife gives zero fucks about SW, in college she fell asleep at Phantom Menance, i don't blame her (probably why the reason she doesn't like it), we saw episode 7 w/ friends and a month ago went to Disneyland. The only souvenir she wanted was
91pOeiL5zlL._SL1500_.jpg

She just said BB8 is too damn cute, i'm guessing it's a Disneyland exclusive, it's on Amazon for 30bucks, i think it was 15bucks with a drink at the park.
Amazon.com | Star Wars Force Awakens BB-8 Sipper Cup: Glassware Drinkware