Star Wars : Rogue One

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has there been anything better than BSG for space battles? Or will this be the first to surpass?

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
Somehow he has a nerd following from his table top gaming show. And he is a twitter freak of near Trump proportions. Outside of those two things I have no idea.

However his take on the Star Wars universe is similar to mine to this point so I may have to take his word for it on Rogue One.

If I like it half as much as he is saying he does it will be better than I expected. Anymore than that and it will be awesome.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
breaking my self imposed time out from reading SW threads to post this. Incredibly glowing, and completely spoiler free, review from Wil Wheaton from Star Trek fame, with a big quote from Chris Hardwick's review in the middle.
The last time I loved a Star Wars movie as much as I loved Rogue One, it was 1977. |

Most reviews from the premier event are going to be overwhelmingly positive. Most of those invited either have some formal relationship with Disney/Lucasfilm or are media types who, out of the understandable desire to be invited to future premiers or have some access with the studio they want to protect, tend to hold back on any real criticism. The occasional individual who does brave potential blowback to offer up some less-than-glowing appraisal are the ones that I tend to give a little more weight to at this point. Or those whose ideas about what constitutes a good movie I know overlap considerably with my own.

That being said there really hasn't been much to suggest it's going to be anything less than a fairly good watch for the rest of us come this weekend. Things will start to get a little more in focus though when the media embargo lifts tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
How is whil wheaton still a thing?

You mean the recurring character on Big Bank Theory? I don't know, I think he was just an extra they called up one day and got along with the cast. He must be one of those heartwarming bootstrap stories. Oh and he was in one season of the guild and got to fuck the Felicia. Maybe that's it.

Royal

R2D2 is the reigning galactic champion secret keeper. That's all. Got a fucking secret to keep? Lock it up in that little droid. To fix a famous saying, 3 people may keep a secret only if all 3 are R2D2.

An interesting aside to this ...

erhyuq4u2usjk5ocdzup.png

In George Lucas's original plan for the saga, the history of the Starkiller family (the precursor to the Skywalker name) was recorded in the Journal of the Whills (a name for the Force that shows up in Rogue One) from information relayed by R2-D2. This was part of his plan to have a trilogy of trilogies by the end of which all of the central characters would have passed away or have been killed except for the two droids (R2 and C-3PO) and the movies would have been the tale as told through their eyes. This is why, in canon, R2's memory has never been wiped.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I'd rather drink bleach than read anything by that douche.

Is there some sort of overriding problem with Whil Wheaton that I'm not aware of that has conferred him with douche status? I'm not trying to be sarcastic...I just know him from Stand By Me, Star Trek and The Big Bang Theory and I've read a couple of his blog posts including this one that seemed reasonable enough.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Is there some sort of overriding problem with Whil Wheaton that I'm not aware of that has conferred him with douche status? I'm not trying to be sarcastic...I just know him from Stand By Me, Star Trek and The Big Bang Theory and I've read a couple of his blog posts including this one that seemed reasonable enough.

Well, he's full-on cuck SJW, and is very loud about it. So if that counts.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
^^^ correct. Dude probably sucks Anita's strap on after she takes it out of his ass.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So far this looks like a decent sci-fi/space-battle movie. I'll wait for reviews from you bros on whether or not it's a good Star Wars movie. Only then will I go see it in theatres.

Royal

A barrage of 12 second TV spots came out today, most of them showing things we've already seen many times over. This one had a bit of new stuff in it though.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
This movie has turned out to be a big thing for my family. First movie in the theaters opening weekend for my Mom and Dad, brother (yeah, he doesn't get it....amazing the difference between me at 45 and him at 36 years old). Pairing that up with with my sisters family (huge SW fans including my incredible 9 year old nephew on that side) and my 22 year old nephew from my ex-marriage that I am soul-brothers with, I absolutely cannot wait for the disparity of emotions from opening weekend.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
A storage vendor offered me a ticket for a showing at 9AM this Friday. On the plus side, I get paid to watch Star Wars. On the negative, I have to listen to their stupid bullshit for an hour before hand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Seeing pretty consistently that this movie closes out like a beast. Just when you think you've seen the third act's defining moment, something else comes along and blows you away yet again.