Star Wars : Rogue One

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The pacing issues I mentioned from the initial reactions yesterday seem to revolve around the middle of the movie feeling overly slow by needlessly going over some of the same beats repeatedly. Beginning of the movie being compared to The Magnificent Seven and transitioning to a full blown war movie by the end. The space battle being called epic all around.

K-2SO widely lauded as the standout character. Some complaints about some of the central characters not being nearly as well fleshed out as he is though some think that the others just naturally suffer by the comparison to such a memorable character as the droid, who provides some much needed levity in an overall dark and gritty film.

It's being said that this movie does the best job of showing what being in the Rebellion was like for those that were in it of any Star Wars, including the OT.

Some criticisms that this might be too much of "Star Wars movie for Star Wars fans" and some of the more casual viewers occasionally might not be able to follow it as well at certain points as some references are lost on them. Definitely not as kid friendly as the previous movies. The humor is geared towards being funny for adults and not goofy or slapstickish and the violence is considerable, though not gory.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

I doubt all of this "its dark!" its a "star WARS, WAR film"

people need to die, a lot to be a dark and gritty war movie, not just bad guys - good guys, people surrounding and including the main cast need to be slaughtered and killed of in meaningful ways (sometimes not meaningful to hammer in the point)

I really doubt that is how R1 is, I hope so - and I will love to go see it and I am sure I will enjoy it, but I still think it will be a starwars movie, and a good one at that, but not a saving private ryan / black hawk down in space.

Edit: if it is, I will be happy to eat my words with a smile of contentment. I will be happy to know that they can tell a different kind of story, along with more of the same story that we all want in the primary films.

Royal

Dark is probably relative to what a person has seen depicted on the screen before, though you would think the average movie hound to have seen some truly dark movies before now. I think most of those saying how dark it is are saying so relative to their expectations going into a Star Wars movie. I don't expect it be as dark as something like Black Hawk Down and don't really want it to go that far in that direction. It's needs to convey a sense of optimism by it's close. Even Empire had that.

Siliconemelons

internet is 50/50 on the primary villain being awesome and "eh, LOOK VADER"

But the hype train is real, I want to see this movie more now.

I get that it is darker than previous films, TFA was also. EVERYTHING is darker than ep1-3.. sheesh that shit was so cgi glossy stupidness the damn children's TV shows are darker than it.

Question for pondering and just general interwebs discussion...

Based on R1 and TFA - would you want to see E4-6 and or E1-3 remade?

Royal

No and no, for different reasons.

The same for me but with a single reason running through both.

I want to see Star Wars grow and expand, gradually and with consistency to it's original form, beyond it's current footprint. Remaking any of the existing movies can't really accomplish that in a way that's going to be tolerable for most fans and not to the same extent that wholly new stories can in any event.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
internet is 50/50 on the primary villain being awesome and "eh, LOOK VADER"

But the hype train is real, I want to see this movie more now.

I get that it is darker than previous films, TFA was also. EVERYTHING is darker than ep1-3.. sheesh that shit was so cgi glossy stupidness the damn children's TV shows are darker than it.

Question for pondering and just general interwebs discussion...

Based on R1 and TFA - would you want to see E4-6 and or E1-3 remade?

Original trilogy? Absolutely not, leave it how it is.

Ep 1-3? Yes but with some heavy heavy modifications --

1) Get rid of everything involving Anakin as a child. Needs to start with him being recruited as a potential Jedi in his mid teens, or just fast forward to him in his 20's as a padawan.

2) Focus much more heavily on the Clone Wars and feature Obi-Wan and Anakin trekking across the galaxy doing stuff for the second half of the first film and all of the second. Let Mace Windu be their commander as they travel around, gotta keep the angry black Jedi around plus a reason to see the clone troopers in action. I've never seen the Clone Wars show but I imagine it pretty well covers what I want.

3) Episode 3 needs to be mostly focused on Palpatine and his rise to power in a less faggy way that doesn't involve gungans (in my universe they don't exist!) with a little bit thrown in there with Anakin meeting Padme and hooking up. Could still have the bit where Palps lures Anakin to his side with promises of methods to protect his newfound love or whatever. Palpatine is a master at coercion I'm sure he can figure something out. The important part is that he gets her pregnant. Toward the end of the movie needs to be Order 66 but this time Anakin is in on it and assumes the troopers will take down Obi-Wan during one of their excursions -- they fail. Cue fight between the two of them after Obi-Wan becomes suspicious when Anakin was not targeted at all, Obi-Wan wins fight and takes off to go into hiding. Same thing with Yoda, he was on the council so he's a character that can still be featured here and there. May as well give the little green fucker a few moments of glory before he also goes off to hide on Dagobah. Reworks to the original ending of episode 3 -- Palpatine still shows up to gather Anakin's broken body and so begins the Darth Vader suit construction. Palpatine lies to Anakin about Padme and tells him she died. Make up some shit about the Jedi killing her or something, not important. However she made it out just fine (thanks Jimmy Smits!) but still dies due to complications during Luke/Leia's birth to keep the continuity there. Last shot of them on the bridge of the Executor overseeing the construction of the Death Star was pretty cool, I'll allow it to stay.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

I agree, ep1 and 2 need to be the clone wars not just one movie, we need to very much see and buy into the Anikan and ObiWan bromance. We need to keep ep4,5 and 6 are prime cannon for these movies. The start of how the clone wars started and stuff is fine for act 1 of ep1 but not ALL OF ep1, ep2 just more character building and action.

3 needs to be dark and brutal with the transition to vader starting ep2 end and completing by the end of act 1 ep3. ObiWan needs to somehow witness Anikan kill the younglings more personally and that just triggers full on rage mode. I don't want to see ObiWan beat Vader because of a trick or higher ground, or in a 25min saber battle disco party- I want ObiWan to track the mo facker down in a rage and just destroy him in fierce momentary battle- leaving him limbless and burning and suffering to die. This shows how important the fight is at the end of ep4 and how obiwans self exile during the entire time of vader is not just "lol old man in desert" - and if you have vader not just popping up at the end, but say middle - and then having Vader pwn Obiwan it makes it even better, and allows a fellow Jedi to perhaps save Obiwan, such as Mace or someone.

Anywho, more amped for R1 now lol

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Original trilogy? Absolutely not, leave it how it is.

Ep 1-3? Yes but with some heavy heavy modifications --

1) Get rid of everything involving Anakin as a child. Needs to start with him being recruited as a potential Jedi in his mid teens, or just fast forward to him in his 20's as a padawan.

2) Focus much more heavily on the Clone Wars and feature Obi-Wan and Anakin trekking across the galaxy doing stuff for the second half of the first film and all of the second. Let Mace Windu be their commander as they travel around, gotta keep the angry black Jedi around plus a reason to see the clone troopers in action. I've never seen the Clone Wars show but I imagine it pretty well covers what I want.

3) Episode 3 needs to be mostly focused on Palpatine and his rise to power in a less faggy way that doesn't involve gungans (in my universe they don't exist!) with a little bit thrown in there with Anakin meeting Padme and hooking up. Could still have the bit where Palps lures Anakin to his side with promises of methods to protect his newfound love or whatever. Palpatine is a master at coercion I'm sure he can figure something out. The important part is that he gets her pregnant. Toward the end of the movie needs to be Order 66 but this time Anakin is in on it and assumes the troopers will take down Obi-Wan during one of their excursions -- they fail. Cue fight between the two of them after Obi-Wan becomes suspicious when Anakin was not targeted at all, Obi-Wan wins fight and takes off to go into hiding. Same thing with Yoda, he was on the council so he's a character that can still be featured here and there. May as well give the little green fucker a few moments of glory before he also goes off to hide on Dagobah. Reworks to the original ending of episode 3 -- Palpatine still shows up to gather Anakin's broken body and so begins the Darth Vader suit construction. Palpatine lies to Anakin about Padme and tells him she died. Make up some shit about the Jedi killing her or something, not important. However she made it out just fine (thanks Jimmy Smits!) but still dies due to complications during Luke/Leia's birth to keep the continuity there. Last shot of them on the bridge of the Executor overseeing the construction of the Death Star was pretty cool, I'll allow it to stay.

Lol @The Edge_sl wherever he is has got to be pissed!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
D-Box theaters are selling out before the XD at my cinemark. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Inque

FunEmployed
No, we saw Force Awakens with D-Box last year and while entertaining it became annoying after a while, it didn't add anything to the movie and I'd rather have watched it in 3D instead.

• 1Solidarity

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I trust you bros will give me an honest assessment this weekend whether its worth seeing or not. the SJW horseshit has me reluctant to buy a ticket.

Royal

Negative reviews like this one are actually encouraging:

“Rogue One” Reviewed: Is It Time to Abandon the “Star Wars” Franchise?

"There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”)."

lando_zpsds0grjwq.gif

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Saw it this morning at the first showing. It was everything I could have hoped for. I loved it, and will see it again. If you have questions, shoot, and I'll do my best to not spoil anything (including not answering you if it's a spoiler).

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I doubt all of this "its dark!" its a "star WARS, WAR film"

people need to die, a lot to be a dark and gritty war movie, not just bad guys - good guys, people surrounding and including the main cast need to be slaughtered and killed of in meaningful ways (sometimes not meaningful to hammer in the point)

I really doubt that is how R1 is, I hope so - and I will love to go see it and I am sure I will enjoy it, but I still think it will be a starwars movie, and a good one at that, but not a saving private ryan / black hawk down in space.

Edit: if it is, I will be happy to eat my words with a smile of contentment. I will be happy to know that they can tell a different kind of story, along with more of the same story that we all want in the primary films.

Make sure to get some salt and pepper to go with it. :) You should really like it, based on what you're asking for.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Just saw it. Really like. Has its flaws but overall a great film. As someone who wanted force awakens to be good and was disappointed, this lived up to expectations