Star Wars : Rogue One

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
5/10 - I liked The Force Awakens well enough but this movie bored me and only felt like half Star Wars. I started picking at it when the blind priest with no force ability took apart a group of storm troopers like he was a powerful Jedi, and I never really stopped picking at it after that. Everybody seems to love the final scene - but the setup for it seemed so manufactured (and ridiculously implausible) that I just couldn't enjoy it much. Yes, The Force Awakens had some of that too, but the one area where The Force Awakens trumped this movie was in creating compelling characters. They only had to add a few new main characters for that movie, and through better acting and better backstory it mostly worked. But in Rogue One they tried to bring too many new characters together into one story, and because of that and poor writing to boot (maybe some poor acting), I just didn't care much about any of them. They tried to create some tear-jerking moments where characters come to their untimely deaths, but those moments fell flat for me. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they'd cut some of the support characters and focused more time on the backgrounds of a few others, given them all a clearer purpose.

I honestly didn't like this as much as any of the prequels. The prequels obviously weren't the greatest, but it was a story that I wanted to see because you could care about the characters one way or another. I can go back and watch the prequels at times and enjoy certain parts. This movie didn't seem like it'll be too re-watchable.

I noticed most of the Easter Eggs - at some point they need to stop throwing these in unless they add to the story. Also - Ser Barristan on the rebel council.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Saw it for free and I'd still probably only go as high as a 7.5/10 and basically echo the more negative sentiments here in the thread. That Vader scene was groan-worthy with the quip. I also honestly didn't give a shit about 1 character except possibly K2 so
when the died
I was more like Meh than anything else.

Oldbased

> Than U
We got some serious SW geeks here and I'm cool with that.
So on that note and the storm trooper armor. Has it ever been stated in any of the books or other means why they use it since as said it is as effective as cosplay wearings?
Is it just so they are clearly identifiable as Empire and a sort of anon feeling to them?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Originally, the idea was meant mostly as a uniform. Everyone is a cog in the empire and only officers get a sense of identity, basically. The armor is _supposed_ to offer some protection and environmental support (the TIE Pilot versions are vac proof, at least), but TFA more or less cast doubt on that by saying the masks did not filter toxins. Overall, I think the basic idea was some protection from civilian weaponry (theoretically the Rebel shit is milspec) and some environmental compensation (cools you on the jungle and desert planet, warms you in snow, ect) according to the old technical manual books. I think it mostly got lost in the standard Star Wars cannot do science consistently thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I can honestly say I was a bit blown away with how awesome it was. There were loads of moments that popped in from time to time and added a nice nostelagic feeling, something I got from TFA, but not so deeply because it was a little on the cheesy side when doing it. I can't believe they put in Vader's Castle from early early Ralph Mcquarrie concepts, and then little things like the pig face guy, were awesome.

There was a bit of dullness at times in the middle, but everything pulled together so nicely that it made it into an amazing film for me.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
......didn't like this as much as any of the prequels.....

4db26bb112d790b56fcaa934bad0b78808828b10.gif

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Zero compelling characters in this movie. Name one scene that would be as interesting to go back and watch as Obi-wan/Qwi-gon vs. Darth Maul, Mace Windu vs. the Emperor, Yoda vs. the Emperor, etc. For the most part this movie was made up of a bunch of throw away characters with hardly any background info or reason to care about them, with only cameos from original characters that meant anything to me.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Have we found TheEdge? Our Star Wars discussions had definitely been missing something, glad it's back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Zero compelling characters in this movie. Name one scene that would be as interesting to go back and watch as Obi-wan/Qwi-gon vs. Darth Maul, Mace Windu vs. the Emperor, Yoda vs. the Emperor, etc. For the most part this movie was made up of a bunch of throw away characters with hardly any background info or reason to care about them, with only cameos from original characters that meant anything to me.

The prequels have a handful of good specific moments, but they are surrounded by two+ hours of horseshit. Mace vs the Emperor was terrible, btw.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

The prequels were aggressively bad. This film is just mediocre. I guess it performs its functions as a filler for a plot hole and as a cornucopia of references and easter eggs (other than the incomprehensible choice to have Darth Vader make a pun...), but I care very little about that, so this bland adventure of a bunch of poorly written characters utterly failed to interest me.

Here is to hoping that some of these Star Wars Stories movies will try to keep the main storyline as a distant background, allowing to explore different movie genres in this universe. The hope is slim though...

• 1Solidarity

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Liked it more the TFA just for the last battle which gave that old timey stars wars vibe that you used to feel when watching the original films. Diego was pretty stiff in this, you can tell he is not comfortable acting in english. The main actress was pretty bland as well, I thought she was Ellen Page the entire time lol. Was surprised it wasn't her when I checked the credits.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The prequels were aggressively bad. This film is just mediocre. I guess it performs its functions as a filler for a plot hole and as a cornucopia of references and easter eggs (other than the incomprehensible choice to have Darth Vader make a pun...), but I care very little about that, so this bland adventure of a bunch of poorly written characters utterly failed to interest me.

Here is to hoping that some of these Star Wars Stories movies will try to keep the main storyline as a distant background, allowing to explore different movie genres in this universe. The hope is slim though...

How do you rate the original trilogy?

• 1Like

moontayle

Golden Squire
I had a hard time coming up with a reaction to this post, but this works:

incredulous.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Lol it's function is to rake in cash make no mistake about it

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Liked it more the TFA just for the last battle which gave that old timey stars wars vibe that you used to feel when watching the original films. Diego was pretty stiff in this, you can tell he is not comfortable acting in english. The main actress was pretty bland as well, I thought she was Ellen Page the entire time lol. Was surprised it wasn't her when I checked the credits.

Outside of the obvious standout of K-2SO my favorite character was the defector imperial pilot, Rook or whatever his name was. Of all the "main" cast members he did the best job IMO.

Also those complaining about not being able to build up compelling characters? Well no shit, they're all expendable due to the nature of the story.

Szlia

How do you rate the original trilogy?
I never was extremely enamored with them, possibly because I was not a child when I saw them first and also did not saw them at the time of their release, so, in a way, their impact got dulled by the fact I saw films/tv show/cartoons and read comics that got influenced by them before actually seeing them (also I saw them on VHS).

Still, I saw them last in the late '80s so rating them would be hard (and Lucas made sure it's almost impossible to re-watch the originals), but as far as I know I fall the in the camp of the regular people who think Empire > New Hope >> Muppet Show. But also in the more controversial camp of those who think Space Balls > Empire :)

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There certainly was a "too many characters" problem in the movie and its obvious stuff got cut in the reshoots, but the originals were not exactly character exploration vehicles, either. Luke was basically the only character that had any sort of time spent on his backstory in either of the first two. But compared to the prequels which were jammed with "please give me a cameo so you can make a toy with my name on it" people and outright horrible main characters? Can anyone even remember anything about the Jedi in the prequels, beyond Mace who was Jules with a Lightsaber the whole fucking time?

Despite the gaps, this movie told you everything you needed to know about the characters with a few actions or statements (again, a lot like the Viet Nam war movies it seems to heavily draw from) for the purposes of the story. I don't need a GRRM exposition on some dude who is going to die or otherwise never be seen again in the movies. When Cassian did what he did in his first scene, it gave you everything important about his role in the story. The female lead's personality turns are where it fell flat, and I think that's probably also due to the reshoots. I am guessing that there is a bunch of shit with Saw that we did not get to see in the final cut, probably because it was already the most dragging part of the film due to it being the gather the characters bit. I guess we will know when the home release hits.

As for the Vader "pun", he has always been a passive aggressive threat guy. I mean, did everyone just forget these quips?

So yeah, Vader snark has been a thing and was present in all of the original trilogy movies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like