Star Wars : Rogue One

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Did anyone else think the Star Destroyers were useless in the space battle?

They're meant to be pretty fearsome but they didn't seem to even engage the rebel fleet until the end of the battle

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Did anyone else think the Star Destroyers were useless in the space battle?

They're meant to be pretty fearsome but they didn't seem to even engage the rebel fleet until the end of the battle

Well, to be fair the Imperial fleet stationned at the shield generator was outnumbered once the Rebels showed up, they had this huge Mon Calamari cruiser, and a whole bunch of fighters (which Star Destroyers aren't really meant to counter, they're only used against similar-sized capital ships normally). Then the Rebels used ion missiles to power down one of the destroyers and a Hammerhead to knock it into the other (pretty dumb to stay this close to one another but it's a mistake we often see in Imperial tactics, the same thing happens in ESB when they bump into each other, it was most likely done tongue-in-cheek).

You'll notice that once the Devastator gets there (Vader's personal star destroyer), shit hits the fan and the Rebels have to retreat pretty fast, because they've lost the advantage of numbers (and lost a bunch of fighters too).

• 1Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Went late last night. I dunno. I really really wanted to love this movie and that might have set my expectations too high. It was good and I enjoyed it, but there were a few things that took me out of the moment.

Vader's mask was wrong. The neck was too squat and wide which made the helmet look to smushed. I kept hoping something would happen to him like on Rebels where he would need a new mask put on. I did however LOVE LOVE his catching of the blaster bolt and holding it in his hand then shooting it back bit later. Justified Kyle Ren's move in VII.

Music was iffy for me. The main theme for these characters sounded like Anakin and Padame's theme. Other parts were fine to good. The no crawl I understand and earlier in the thread I think I said it would be a good idea to cut it, but dang it was strange without it.

The planet jump at the start was jarring and I didn't care for the text labels on screen. Krenic could have easily said, "Galen, I thought you were dead, and here you are hiding on xxxxx pretending to be a farmer."

They did so many awesome thing as well though. Glad to see the 'Hammerhead' ship on screen, nice KotOR design and link to Rebels. The Vader ship arrival was perfect. Father Marcus from The Exorcist show on Fox was the main x-wing pilot. K2 was great. And I was glad we didn't see too many familiar rebels. It makes the rebellion seem bigger and more fleshed out.

If I were to give it a score I'd still go 4/5. I think a little part of my dislike might have been the theater, the lights weren't dimmed enough so the film looked a little washed out and blurry. But that's not the movie's fault. Fix my couple nitpick and it would have been almost perfect.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Saw it last night. I have some of the same issues others do but I never felt like they detracted from the overall movie. Pretty solid overall and it certainly didn't feel like a 2hr+ movie. Will definitely be getting it once it's released so I can watch it again for things I missed.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I was one who said, way back when it was still just rumored, that I didn't have a problem with them cutting the crawl text in the anthology movies in spite of it probably being a bit jarring since it would give the directors more freedom in how those movies would open. Having seen this first effort without it I have to say it wasn't worth it. It still opened largely the same visually so Edwards didn't really do anything with that freedom. And I think that bit of exposition in text form would have actually helped set up the movie better. It ended up needing it.

In the end if they're eliminating it just for the sake of it being different then it really is a bad idea and one I hope they don't stubbornly stick to just because they've done it this once.

Last edited:

Caal

Lord Nagafen Raider
I loved it, and I think if I had cared only slightly more about the deaths of Bodhi, Baze, Churrit, and Cassian, this movie could have been a 10/10.

Last edited:

Jive Turkey

Karen
I just finished watching it at the cinema.

I enjoyed it. I really like how they tied the story to the beginning of ANH and explained the age old plot hole of the Death Star vulnerability. Much darker tone and I liked that.

Second half of the movie was brilliant. The tension and drama was really well done. The final space battle was easily the best out of all the Star Wars movies. I could easily spend 2+ hrs just watching X-Wings wrecking shit up.

K2-SO was a good surprise. I expected it to annoy me like C3PO but it's well written dialogue made it stand out from the rest of the characters. I felt more empathy to it than the rest of the cast.

Flaws of the movie imo were:

First half of the movie was quite disjointed and felt like it was dragging along. At one point, they were jumping from planet to planet every few minutes and was pretty jarring.

Main actress was good but rather one dimensional in her expressions.

When Tarkin came on scene, I was pleasantly surprised they got an previous actor back again for the film but my brain was telling me something was not quite right and I could not put my finger on it on why this was the case. This happened every time he appeared and it bugged me. It was only when I got home and went online did I find out the actor was actually dead and they used CGI for his character. I think the technology is close but not quite yet there yet and that's why I felt what I did. Leia CGI was pretty awkward too.

The characterisation for Chirrut and Baze was unfortunately sorely lacking. Maybe it was because they had to cram in so many new characters and plot into a 2 and a bit hour movie and this is the result. How did they become such close buddies? What was their motivation for going along with Jyn on a suicide mission?

The tentacle monster.. uhhh why?

Darth Vader: 'Try not to choke on your aspirations' *force chokes Krennic* Wrong time to use a pun line in relation to the seriousness of the scene. Made me facepalm.

On the subject of Vader, I think him being used sparingly was the right decision but his outfit seems a bit 'off' this time round? Can't quite put my finger on it.

Mads Mikkelson was sorely underused and would have preferred much more screen time from his character.

I feel that if they had cut a couple of the main characters and fleshed out the others, it would have made a stronger movie.

It's a shame because the second half of the movie really was excellent. A worthy addition to the Star Wars franchise but not without its faults.

7.8/10

Re Tarkin

Peter Cushing is too iconic an actor to just replace him him some rando, so I understand why they wanted to do him cg. But it was a little off (although my girlfriend who had no idea who he was didn't realize he was cg until after I told her). I'm not sure they'll ever get that sort of cg right though. They've pretty much got the tech down or are at least really close, but what it seems to come down to now is artistry. The animations always seem a little too smooth and that's completely on the animators and not on the technology. Same goes for lighting; if they don't nail that all the computer power in the world isn't going to save it.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Loved the fan service. Nerdgasms, multiple.

I tought the tarkin was doen well, but leia wasn't. I'm surprised to learn they were both CGI. Why was leia so crappy if she was CGI? Also, the things that were wrong wth Vader's appearance IMO were the red eyes and I think his neck was too short. Also, the cheesy ass line about choking on aspirations.

So what happened to the ghost in the big space battle? By the time it rolled around, I forgot to look for it. It would be a nice bow on the series if we saw it get destroyed.

Oh and when K2SO died, I was like, fuckit, errybody better fucking die now. I wuz pleased. Not so pleased with why the death star didn't direct hit the base, and that they didn't get naked and die having sex. But whatevs, gotta give some leeway to the producers and directors.

Vader's eyes were red because in ANH his eyes were red. I think at the time, it was just because the quality control wasn't so good for ANH and they fixed it in ESB. But instead, Rogue One tied that flaw into the story and made it seem like he just got a new mask after ANH

Royal

Vader's eyes were red because in ANH his eyes were red. I think at the time, it was just because the quality control wasn't so good for ANH and they fixed it in ESB. But instead, Rogue One tied that flaw into the story and made it seem like he just got a new mask after ANH

The masks used in ANH and ESB were indeed different. You could see David Prowse's face through the eye pieces in the right lighting conditions in ANH, especially in still shots. The ESB helmet was also a little shorter, more squat in appearance overall, than the one from ANH.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Um I just got back from seeing this and. Holy fuck, Awesome movie. Like Empire levels of epicness.

• 1Like

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Just saw it. I thought it was really good. It's exactly what a Star Wars movie should be when none of the main characters are Jedi / Sith. A lot of action and some solid space and ground battles. The rebels came off as gritty as you would expect of a group waging a guerrilla war against the Empire.

If you're not a fan of the original trilogy than you won't appreciate this one as much. But when I was a kid I saw a New Hope over a hundred times easily. I would watch it, rewind the tape and watch it again. What can I say? I was like 7 or 8 at the time.

I really appreciate how they explained things in a non-condescending or in your face way.

The Death Star flaw as an intentional design flaw to sabotage the station makes a lot more sense than something that was overlooked. Also watching Darth Vader kick ass at the end was awesome since we never really get to see him cut loose

• 1Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Still pissed they cut out Kyle Katarn!! But in all seriousness, I grew up playing Tie Fighter and Dark Forces, and this movie felt like the perfect mix of those two. It finally felt like other people had a stake in the Galactic Civil War than the Skywalker Family and Palpatine, which is how those games made me feel as a kid. If nothing else, I hope the massive fleet battle generates interest in making a new X-Wing\Tie Fighter game. Battlefront isn't cutting it. (It will probably never happen, but we can always hope right?)

• 1Solidarity

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The NH Vader lenses were more brown than red. Recall hearing they actually stripped sunglasses for the first helm, cheap as it was. Still the meanest looking one in my opinion.
header.jpg

EFX_DARTH_VADER_LEGEND_EDITION_HELMET-28.jpg

They shaded the lenses black for re-release, didn't they. Still own the pre-special edition 1995 untampered trilogy on VHS.
cache_500_1_1_img_46839852_62f20868a2635f9bc08d7692a3260b86jpg.gif
A SW movie without the crawl and GASP the musical theme may be odd at first; they should do whatever is best for the opening. I would hope the filmmakers stretch out and go beyond the Lucas template. As long as it doesn't overshadow episodes 8 and 9 and follows the tone of Star Wars.

I'd not want the anthology movies to get too gritty. This is Star Wars, after all. Luckily, there is little chance of that ever happening.

Royal

They shaded the lenses black for re-release, didn't they. Still own the pre-special edition 1995 untampered trilogy on VHS.

They didn't change them in the special edition ANH. I don't know if they did in any of the later editions/releases but they're still reddish in that one.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just got back from theaters and this was great.
I loved all the throwbacks.
To me, if fit right in. The costuming and set design were flawless.
Despite the supreme disappointment from the prequels, I liked that they weren't abandoned. I prefer to layer over the bad with good, versus dump and run approach.
Points for the music as the cameo is revealed
Story was almost a 40K bit.
The comic relief was perfect, just enough without ever going too far.
We found out that under the armor lies not James Earl Jones, but Uber Jason from Jason X
It's a movie that is filled with treasures and I keep wanting to edit in more.
9/10

Wife thought it was too dark.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
If I had a complaint, it was the Music. It was good at times, a tad bit cringey at others...I missed John Williams for sure. But any issues I did have, music included, was nit picky for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Go back and re-watch A New Hope, the star destroyers in Episode IV are pretty freaking white

I did this today (not to check on the color of the star destroyers though) and I have to admit, the beginning of it doesn't feel like the beginning of the movie anymore. It felt like you're picking it back up after pausing to go grab a beer or something. It was strange.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Thought it was great. Really good throw back to ANH era. Loved the 70s 'staches on some of the actors. IMO better than TFA.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
back from round 2. Saw it in 2D this time and was much easier to pick up all the little nuggets they threw in. Many of the cameos/easter eggs have been discussed so far but I feel like I saw many more this time. This movie is loaded with eye candy in almost every scene, especially the Yavin 4 and space battle shots. Took my folks (in their 70's now) and my brother who has never been a big SW fan, although they have all seen ANH once, and they all really loved it and understood the whole story, while me and my nephews jibber jabbered for 30 minutes after it ended about all the minutia we caught being big fans. It really is a movie that delivers for everyone no matter where your SW background lies.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users