Star Wars : Rogue One

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ew no, misinterped. Guy Ritchie styled film, not guy Ritchie directing, you kidding me? Haha fuck that, would be awful. Guy Ritchie films have the whole lots of people running around but they're all important to some degree to the one final pay off in the middle in a rat race. I'd take that over dredging out some story of tribulation and triumph. I'd list the fuckloads of stylized films after him, but they're all d-tier gloryholes.

Guy Ritchie hasn't been the same since he stuck his dick in Madonna.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
At this point, I think Sandler doing a Jar Jar Binks movie would be a step up in quality compared to what he's been putting out lately.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Soooo one low cost hammerhead frigate can effectively take out two Star Destroyers? I know it was a hectic space battle and perhaps it was lost in the fray but that would effectively be the same as a tugboat taking out two aircraft carriers. Was awesome to see but I started to think about it and It kind of bothers me.

Vader at the end was perhaps one of my greatest star wars moments though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Soooo one low cost hammerhead frigate can effectively take out two Star Destroyers? I know it was a hectic space battle and perhaps it was lost in the fray but that would effectively be the same as a tugboat taking out two aircraft carriers. Was awesome to see but I started to think about it and It kind of bothers me.
A single A-wing crashing into the bridge took out an entire Super Star Destroyer which also crashed into a portion of the Death Star. Granted, they blew up the Death Star after but it likely wasn't "minimal damage".

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Next thing you know, those money grubbing cunts at Disney are going to try to get you to believe the laws of physics have been suspended and that telekinesis is real and that you can make swords from laser beams and crystals.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A single A-wing crashing into the bridge took out an entire Super Star Destroyer which also crashed into a portion of the Death Star. Granted, they blew up the Death Star after but it likely wasn't "minimal damage".

A parsec is a unit of distance, not time.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Jet A-wing fuel can't melt steel Star Destroyer beams.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Ok so lightsabers and the force is cool. Dont have a problem with it. But if the fish alien guy just "had an idea" to take out 2 star destroyers with a space tugboat, why the fuck even build them?

Its like dreadnaughts of the early 20th century. Maybe the empire should stop wasting money on capital ships and just pull an Iran and use it on a bunch of speedboats instead!

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I assume the capital ships are more for intimidation and mobile command centers over combat. I know they are armed to the teeth, but everything the empire does is from fear and control.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bridge crashing aside the number one problem is positioning. Like how the Millennium Falcon was evading the 3 Star Destroyers and they all decided to bump sides when converging in a /\\//\ pattern. Teach these idiots to stop driving so close to other capital ships or planetary shields.

Even Vader is guilty, flying in formation down the Death Star trench so all Han had to do was tag a wingman who inevitably collides with the other ships and Vader gets hurled off. Maybe he used the force to redirect in the "up" direction instead of becoming a debris stain.

• 1Like

Jozu

Im not trying to nitpick, visually it was a stunning coupe de grace and was a pretty good idea as far as on screen visuals and impact on the battle, showing the rebellions resilliance and inventiveness given the odds.

But when you actually break down what really happened, its just as ridiculous as the planet gun from Ep7. Disney has a license to go above and beyond though, they paid the kings ransom for the IP so they are realizing all of the shit they planned and as long as the box office numbers are there, who gives a fuck.

I want this franchise to succeed.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Ok so lightsabers and the force is cool. Dont have a problem with it. But if the fish alien guy just "had an idea" to take out 2 star destroyers with a space tugboat, why the fuck even build them?

They just got lucky. Sometimes that's what battles come down to. Who gets lucky first.

There was a disabled star destroyer incapable of defending itself. A second destroyer in close proximity but positioned such that it couldn't bring it's weapons to bear on the hammerhead. The Imperial TIE's were either destroyed or otherwise engaged. Raddus had a eureka moment, gave the order, and said a prayer. I doubt it was any sort of established tactic that would have dissuaded the Empire from investing in capital ships.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

They just got lucky. Sometimes that's what battles come down to. Who gets lucky first.

There was a disabled star destroyer incapable of defending itself. A second destroyer in close proximity but positioned such that it couldn't bring it's weapons to bear on the hammerhead. The Imperial TIE's were either destroyed otherwise engaged. Raddus had a eureka moment, gave the order, and said a prayer. I doubt it was any sort of established tactic that would have dissuaded the Empire from investing in capital ships.

Yea good point you're right. I was just shocked at the result i guess. All that power neutralized by a single frigate. Raddus should be a legend in the rebillion lore.

• 1Like

Royal

But when you actually break down what really happened, its just as ridiculous as the planet gun from Ep7. Disney has a license to go above and beyond though, they paid the kings ransom for the IP so they are realizing all of the shit they planned and as long as the box office numbers are there, who gives a fuck.

I want this franchise to succeed.

All of the movies thus far have had plot devices and storyline elements that fall apart when subjected to the scrutiny that the fan base has grown accustomed to subjecting them to. Some more easily than others of course, but each movie has several. My expectation at this point is that they just not be too egregious. Starkiller Base was probably a few toes over that line. But I can live with playing bumper cars with capital ships in that scenario.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You're forgetting that in order to tugboat the Star Destroyer they first had to disable it with a suicidal run of Ion bombs. And the idea to take advantage of it emerged from that.

I'm sure it was a deliberate choice to keep the battle focused on the fighters in the WW2 dogfight style of the originals while avoiding the confusing orgy of lasers and explosions from the start of Sith. So they had the cap ships just avoid one another for the most part.

Hell, in ROTJ they only engaged to hide from the Death Star laser. The Imp fleet was just a blockade.

If you must be logical, then just assume the SD captains were ignorant of how important the battle really was and they were happy to just wait for reinforcements instead of going all-in like we know they should have. Only Krennic and Vader had an idea of the extent of threat.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen

Its like dreadnaughts of the early 20th century. Maybe the empire should stop wasting money on capital ships and just pull an Iran and use it on a bunch of speedboats instead!

The only reason it worked was because the Star Destroyer lost power]

edit: someone else already pointed that out

Royal

I assume the capital ships are more for intimidation and mobile command centers over combat. I know they are armed to the teeth, but everything the empire does is from fear and control.

One thing they're capable of that we've never really seen (only mentioned) in the movies but is covered in some of the novels is planetary bombardment. Given enough time in orbit around a planet they can do a nasty bit of damage to localized areas.

• 1Like