Star Wars : Rogue One

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hell, in ROTJ they only engaged to hide from the Death Star laser. The Imp fleet was just a blockade.

One could also argue that they engaged the Star Destroyers at point blank range so that the Star Destroyers couldn't make use of their full firepower. While Star Destroyers did have a broadside capability, the vast majority of their weapons were fired frontally, as is evident from the wedge design instead of one that is more symmetrical between fore and aft. If we really want to get nerdy, aquatic races like the Mon Calamari would have a profound advantage in space combat due to being innately familiar with three dimensions, whereas terrestrial species have a natural tendency to think two dimensionally. So moving above or below the plane that a Star Destroyer was on, while in close proximity, would dramatically reduce the weapons they could bring to bear.

But then again, it was written by a guy who thinks that parsecs are a unit of time and that the Executor would IMMEDIATELY start listing into the death star after losing bridge control. Or that a ship the size of a super star destroyer wouldn't have redundant navigational controls. Or that the bridge/cic would actually be constructed in such a vulnerable position on the ship. Etc, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I think R1 also showed that many Empire people are stupid... when the dude is looking at the explosions on the beach and like "DO SOMETHING FUCKWITS" same as WHY did it take them forever to launch the ties

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think R1 also showed that many Empire people are stupid... when the dude is looking at the explosions on the beach and like "DO SOMETHING FUCKWITS" same as WHY did it take them forever to launch the ties

You say that was an example of stupid, but the real stupid one was krennic when he ordered him to fall for the distraction.

Siliconemelons

Well the "distraction" was an attack- they could not just like not do anything about it... but not instantly putting the archives on lockdown with a billion troopers was the dumb.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Well the "distraction" was an attack- they could not just like not do anything about it... but not instantly putting the archives on lockdown with a billion troopers was the dumb.

It probably didn't occur to him that the archives would be any sort of target that they would have been interested in. Without knowing that the Rebellion was aware of a potential design flaw in the Death Star I don't think many people would instantly connect those dots in that situation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kinda funny seeing people nitpicking the small stuff in a movie with gigantic glaringly obvious flaws.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
WHY did it take them forever to launch the ties
Yeah, when all those ties came out of the planetary shield generator space base thingie, I said so myself why didn't they launch them like an hour ago! In all actuality though, not much time had passed. Pilots would have had to scramble to their ties and then when they did launch, that was a lot of ties! Also consider I think the rebels outnumbered them until imperial reinforcements came, had they launched out of the bay a few at a time many/most would have been picked off.

• 1Like

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Ya, it's not great.

The point is though, Star Wars is science fantasy, not science fiction. Just looking at the numbers you would need to have lasers be as powerful as they are in Star Wars you lose all sense of reality almost immediately. All of it is just simply done because it's cool, not because it's plausibly realistic in science terms. On the one hand, it makes it more difficult to suspend your disbelief if you're the viewer, especially if you have any science background. On the other, it gives the creators a lot of freedom to do cool shit, because they're not encumbered by little things like the laws of nature.

In fact, now that I think about it, that may be a fatal flaw when trying to add "gritty realism" to the Star Wars universe: gritty realism and science fantasy may be inherently incompatible.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That Turbolaser link is fucking ridiculous. Lucas obvioulsy wasnt using screenplay of a Star Destroyer vaporizing asteroids as a measuring stick for their firepower. I mean....c'mon.

Obviously you have to suspend disbelief in a science fiction hollywood movie, but that doesnt mean you have to eliminate it. Lazy or bad writing manifests itself in different ways, sometimes its easy to recognize, sometimes not.

My lack of multiple viewings hurt my perception of what was truly happening during the final space battle, so perhaps my critique of the hammerhead was misguided. But starkiller base was retarded as fuck, no one is pushing me off that block.

Caliane

Ya, it's not great.

In fact, now that I think about it, that may be a fatal flaw when trying to add "gritty realism" to the Star Wars universe: gritty realism and science fantasy may be inherently incompatible.
I don't think its impossible. but you really do need skilled writers, and an editor to double check things.

Internal consistency is very important. And someone needs to keep an eye on powercreep and reign in the rule of cool, when it totally breaks down logic elsewhere.

you can accept some of the absurd things in Starwars, when they are just part of the world. breathing Air pretty much everywhere, no paper, giant pits with no railings, controls for things always in precarious locations. spaceships opperating in 2d space. sound in space.

this works until you suddenly decide to have a spacewalk,, with gravity boots, and spacesuit. you include this scene, and suddenly everything is throw into question.
Lightsabers are all well and fine. until lightwhips. Or, using the force to bend lightsabers to make curved ones... you start adding this shit, and the logic starts to fall apart. you start asking questions that have no answers.

SOME things can be explained.. cortorsis weave! vibroblades! yeah. thats it..

The real issue is just "too many cooks." one author trying to come up with their own cool idea, one uping everyone else, which ends up undermining the basic fiction.

Someone really should have called out JJ and new guy on instant intragalactic travel. that shit really breaks down everything.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Someone really should have called out JJ and new guy on instant intragalactic travel. that shit really breaks down everything.

I assume you mean not showing more indications of the passage of time during lightspeed travel. I don't think there has ever been a clearly depicted occurrence of instantaneous travel in any of the movies. You can't always have things like the travel time training routine like we saw in ANH because pacing needs don't always allow for it. Some of the classic transitions that Lucas resurrected are still used to indicate that you're picking back up with the characters once they get to where they were going.

• 1Like

Caliane

R1 showed the Rebel alliance on Yavin4, getting an alert for the R1 team attacking Scariff. then sending a fleet in response. notability, this is very specifically shown as a fleet ON yavin4 being sent. r2/c3po, the captain.
Yavin 4 is on the other side of the Galaxy. Scariff is right next to Tatoonie, and Genosha. It should have taken about 7 days to respond. not 10minutes-2 hours.

TFA had it occur several times. The hyperspace lazerbeam from starkillerbase, the visible core worlds, and the attack on Starkiller base as well. the Alliance was attacked, organized and attacked starkiller base in 20minutes. real time. they were trying to beat the sun being depleted for another attack, targeting the alliance base. They left the alliance base and arrived at starkiller basically instantly.

Pacing wise, yes, they should have had flight travel scenes to suggest the passage of time, as well frankly. (there were a few scenes of that too. Rey leaving to find Luke. yes, there should have been a scene with her alone on the ship, instead of instantly cutting to her arrival.)

But, worse, both TFA and R1 had timed elements that removed travel time entirely. we were very expressly shown the Rebels leaving for Scariff AFTER the fighting started. and, we were expressly shown the Alliance leaving for starkiller base, AFTER the countdown clock started.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Really enjoyed the movie (despite the obvious flaws noted in this thread). The Vader scene at the end - with the guy putting his hand through the door to hand the info.... add in the other guys screaming as Vader is advancing and cutting them down is really quite terrifying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really enjoyed the movie (despite the obvious flaws noted in this thread). The Vader scene at the end - with the guy putting his hand through the door to hand the info.... add in the other guys screaming as Vader is advancing and cutting them down is really quite terrifying.

Thats exactly my sentiment I was actually confused about some of the hate toward that final Vader scene. All I heard for years was about how Vader did jack shit when it came to actually being a menace via fucking dudes up in Ep 4.

They obviously went out of their way to display that and quell that very gripe, and now people are reducing it to fan service. It is fan service, but it was also fucking awesome. Like I said one of the best 90 seconds or so in the entire Star Wars saga. They really conveyed Vaders stregnth both with the ease of which he was maneuvering his saber but the way he utilized his force throws, grabs and chokes. Just a really sick portrayal of badassery when it comes to force power and overall devastating attack potential of a skilled saber user.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Thats exactly my sentiment I was actually confused about some of the hate toward that final Vader scene. All I heard for years was about how Vader did jack shit when it came to actually being a menace via fucking dudes up in Ep 4.

They obviously went out of their way to display that and quell that very gripe, and now people are reducing it to fan service. It is fan service, but it was also fucking awesome. Like I said one of the best 90 seconds or so in the entire Star Wars saga. They really conveyed Vaders stregnth both with the ease of which he was maneuvering his saber but the way he utilized his force throws, grabs and chokes. Just a really sick portrayal of badassery when it comes to force power and overall devastating attack potential of a skilled saber user.

If they wanted to make make Vader a terrifying presence and "Jason/Freddy" him up that scene did it for me. I mean fuck, here's a guy dressed in all black, slowly advancing on a group of helpless soldiers, cutting them down with ease and they can't do anything. The camera work and the pacing of that scene was shot well to help give off that impression.

• 1Like