Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Column_sl

shitlord
Why are your reading Salon.com?

zohan-cast-you-don-t-mess-with-the-zohan-soundtrack.jpg

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'd heard there was a Twitter based protest taking shape over Boyega's role a couple of days ago. Good riddance I say.
I'm not really sure why people are so shook up about this... it really doesn't matter in the end. "Race" really isn't a thing in Star Wars because we don't really have an "earth" or it's cultures. There are alien species galore and who knows what else. It's not like people in the Star Wars Universe have paperwork they fill out that has an African-American checkbox. We don't even know what his character "is" ethnically. He may be a black guy from the British Isles but I don't see a very definitive parallel in the Star Wars universe that reflect racism or even races. It's just incredibly silly.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
honestly the decision to cast the black kid and a teenage girl in main roles seems pretty SJW driven.
There have been prominent female characters including force users in the various materials and media outside of the central movies prior to this. Having one finally make an appearance in the main storyline in a key role is just the natural course of events to my mind. I understand that we're talking about Disney here and they are all about some diversity, but even if they weren't it would still seem fitting that it's happening.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I kinda thought that, diversity bullshit aside, the main reason to cast a nobody is because you don't have to pay them shit to get them to sign into horribly one sided contracts.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure the potential to launch their career into hyperdrive is worth it. It works for the fans too. MacGregor and Neeson were great and all, but I'd prefer not to have really well known people showing up in this. Ford/Fisher/Hamill are enough.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Oscar Isaac is on par with Ewan McGregor in terms of where he was in his career when PM came out. He wasn't an unknown by any stretch, nor is Isaac. There is also Sydow though he doesn't seem to be a main character.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I kinda thought that, diversity bullshit aside, the main reason to cast a nobody is because you don't have to pay them shit to get them to sign into horribly one sided contracts.
Not one-sided if you're trying to break in. Anyone trying to be an actor will have done a ton of free work already, and will for sure work for free on Star Wars movies if it wasn't illegal.

IMO the main benefit to casting unknowns is that the story/world feels richer to the audience. When you see a "known" actor you can get thrust back to reality.
Obviously there are financial benefits, too, and maybe the financials are the real driving force behind it most of the time, but to say it's "horrible" is rather short-sighted.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The thing that matters is how they play on screen, and based upon what I know about Boyega and Ridley, I don't have much doubt they can do it. If they were cast "because" they were black/female, as opposed to driven by the narrative, like the All New All Different crap, then I would be opposed. What really sucks is that without all the SJW protest bullshit, we wouldn't/shouldn't be doubting they were hired for their chops and not to check a box.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I didn't see anyone throwing a fit when Vader was voiced by a black guy. As Kedywn says just be good. Or would you rather them cast a white guy like this.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Keg is an idiot troll, who is like a retired a_skeleton_03. The heart is just not there. It's ok bro!

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Oscar Isaac is on par with Ewan McGregor in terms of where he was in his career when PM came out. He wasn't an unknown by any stretch, nor is Isaac. There is also Sydow though he doesn't seem to be a main character.
Isaac is totally unknown. We're geeks so we know him. I've had to say "The guy from the Bourne Legacy" 932 times the past year when explaining he's about to blow up from being Apocalypse and someone big in Star Wars.

Guy fucking killed it in Ex Machina too.

Maul

Dental Dammer
honestly the decision to cast the black kid and a teenage girl in main roles seems pretty SJW driven.
Pretty much, need a strong white male for a jedi lead character. Having a black kid just ruins the whole image of the film. People are already killing themselves over the decision.

Siliconemelons

I don't know why people are thinking that its a new big thing... Lando was this space pimp that owned a entire darn city while his "white bro" Han was still a small time smuggler running crap jobs in the backwaters (backsand?) of Tatooine.

Or is it the fact he is the "main" character? I haven't watched the new trailer and wont - ill just go see the movie.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
People that care about race in Star wars lol if that salon article is true, i hope everyone who supports that shit, does the same thing

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Whole lotta racist outing going on.

Assuming they can act, I like the casting. A blonde hair, blue eyed Luke Skywalker looking twerp would of been terribly cheesy given the context (presumably) of the story in this day and age. Especially since, ya know, THEY ALREADY DID THAT....

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure why it matters, long as they are good who cares.

The only time it annoys me is when its a established character and they change it just for the sake of "loldiversity", like they did with the most recent Johnny storm.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
White chick, black dude, wore out trope.

SJW crap is just another reason why I won't be paying to see these movies.

Blows my mind that you guys are actually this excited. Fool me once....