Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i think the reason its an issue for a lot of people is because it's harder to identify with someone who doesn't look like you. it just is, whether you want to accept it or not. the reason Star Wars resonated with so many people (nerds) is that they basically got to experience this whole new world through the eyes of Luke Skywalker. Luke, like them, was almost completely ignorant to this world he was stepping into. he was just an ordinary, boring person who ended up going on this wild space adventure and the people watching got to go along with him. the original movies captured that sentiment very well.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure the potential to launch their career into hyperdrive is worth it. It works for the fans too. MacGregor and Neeson were great and all, but I'd prefer not to have really well known people showing up in this. Ford/Fisher/Hamill are enough.
While I can imagine the possible benefits of getting a big break to be a main star wars character is potentially career building I would guess it could also be a huge risk because if that is all you are known for and you suckk or people hate you it could also be career ending I.e. kid anakin

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not sure why it matters, long as they are good who cares.

The only time it annoys me is when its a established character and they change it just for the sake of "loldiversity", like they did with the most recent Johnny storm.
Yup. Diversity or for any other reason

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Unlikely spoiler, but this article just popped up on my news feed:

Nah, the article title is just clickbait. Hamil, JJ, Jason Lee, and Stan Lee were on an episode of Dinner for 5 hosted by Kevin Smith. Hamil was telling a story about how he was guessing, after episode 2, that Lucas would have Luke turn to the darkside and then bring him back in episode 3.

I did learn that JJ wrote Regarding Henry, which I never knew...at the ripe age of 21. Shit...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeahh I watched that whole episode, which was good. But the title is very misleading. He just mentioned something he pitched to Lucas, or where he thought the story was heading.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want a movie or tv series of the rise and fall of the Sith empire.
Don't worry, it seems like Disney will milk this cow for all its worth. Ten years from now there will probably have been a move about the fucking Ugnaughts.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I hadn't seen the original trilogy in quite a while, maybe not since the theatrical rerelease (in the early 2000's?). Needless to say, it was quite a shock to hear, "WEESA FREE!" and see Hayden Christiansen next to Yoda at the end of Return of the Jedi... wow. Just wow.

Edit: Lucas is like the original M. Night. He hit a home run with Star Wars, perfected the model with Empire, and then all that success went to his head and he stopped listening to criticism (or maybe it wasn't even offered). And another thing: I know artists are never completely satisfied with their works, but going back to movies shot in the late 70s and early 80s and adding hamfisted CGI is such a narcissistic and unapologetic "fuck you" to your fans.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'd heard there was a Twitter based protest taking shape over Boyega's role a couple of days ago. Good riddance I say.
Heard that too. I can't imagine what set them off unless they think boyega is supposed to be han an leia's kid.

I'm sure the potential to launch their career into hyperdrive is worth it.
Oh you mean like it did for hamil and fisher? (I heard ford was already pretty well known)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
(I heard ford was already pretty well known)
According tobiography.com:

Born July 13, 1942, in Chicago, Illinois, Harrison Ford struggled for years as an actor before George Lucas cast him in 1973's American Graffiti. Ford then hit superstardom as Han Solo in the three Star Wars films and as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark and its three sequels, which were all monster successes. He has gone on to play leading roles in numerous Hollywood films.