Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
"The film is dystopian and darker than Empire."
When I read that line the one name immediately came to my mind; Gary Kurtz. The producer from IV and V who disassociated himself with the franchise afterEmpirebecause he didn't think Lucas was taking the story in the right direction who later said his own preferences would have created a much darker storyline.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
If those leaks are true, I am looking forward to this movie. Those story line ideas sound perfect to what would be expected in many ways. The one spoiler line that made me smile was the description of the setting of the movie.

"The film is dystopian and darker than Empire."

I am hoping we are done with the kid puppets and the "oh how cute races". Robot cuteness is "ok" because it keeps in line with technology. I hated the Ewoks and really enjoyed the Family Guy episode that mocked that silliness. I enjoy humor. Humor allows for a moment of reprieve from the darkness of the reality. The contrast actually can work very well if done right. That being said, the dialogue might be what makes or breaks this movie.

Dear HBO:

Now that we know that Game of Thrones ends with Season 7 perhaps you guys could work on the next big thing. Could you please create the Star Wars universe with the same "Rated R" tone that Game of Thrones has? It is a shame that Disney would never go for it.
I don't exactly think that is the way to go. Dark for dark is stupid. See that Superman Movie. Star Wars was "lived in" not "dark and gritty" to me.

The power structure of the empire was severed. There should have at least been a bright time, a time for the republic to consolidate power and fight the empire remnants. Even the books realized you can't kill the empire completely. Killing a fleet of star destroyers, 2 super moons, a Super Star Destroyer, and thousands upon thousands of sortie fighters and troops shouldn't be hand waved away. If there is a unknown threat...such as a dark jedi with a mask finding a source of power and starting a war, like KOTOR, I feel that would be the way to go. Not "everything is still shit because gritty"

I swear to god Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns ruins everything. Comic Book Dark and gritty, morphs into Comic Book Movie dark and gritty, morphs into High Fantasy/Space Opera Dark and Gritty.

You can be mature and not be "everything is awful omg". Your first movie can't be Empire Strikes Back..why would you want to invest your time being depressed unless you can establish that the characters are likeable and you want them to succeed? There is so much of the universe to put on the screen. KOTOR 2 has the most interesting take of any EU, because it actually talks about what the force is and how the two sides are just means to an end. The Bad Guy just wanted to spit in the face of GOD.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I don't exactly think that is the way to go. Dark for dark is stupid. See that Superman Movie. Star Wars was "lived in" not "dark and gritty" to me.

The power structure of the empire was severed. There should have at least been a bright time, a time for the republic to consolidate power and fight the empire remnants. Even the books realized you can't kill the empire completely. Killing a fleet of star destroyers, 2 super moons, a Super Star Destroyer, and thousands upon thousands of sortie fighters and troops shouldn't be hand waved away. If there is a unknown threat...such as a dark jedi with a mask finding a source of power and starting a war, like KOTOR, I feel that would be the way to go. Not "everything is still shit because gritty"

I swear to god Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns ruins everything. Comic Book Dark and gritty, morphs into Comic Book Movie dark and gritty, morphs into High Fantasy/Space Opera Dark and Gritty.

You can be mature and not be "everything is awful omg". Your first movie can't be Empire Strikes Back..why would you want to invest your time being depressed unless you can establish that the characters are likeable and you want them to succeed? There is so much of the universe to put on the screen. KOTOR 2 has the most interesting take of any EU, because it actually talks about what the force is and how the two sides are just means to an end. The Bad Guy just wanted to spit in the face of GOD.
I don't think the dark/grittiness tone is because of Dark Knight type movies as much as it is a reaction to get away from the "kiddie" vibe of Episode 1-3. IMHO they went all in purposely to be so far on the other side of the spectrum to try and get back all the fans they lost (not so much lost as maybe severely disappointed).

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think the dark/grittiness tone is because of Dark Knight type movies as much as it is a reaction to get away from the "kiddie" vibe of Episode 1-3. IMHO they went all in purposely to be so far on the other side of the spectrum to try and get back all the fans they lost (not so much lost as maybe severely disappointed).
Yes let's just over correct until all fun is gone. I sure hope we have Coruscant bombed into glass in loving detail and Luke/Han/New Guy has to snap the bad guys neck to save a kid and his parents because there is JUST NO OTHER WAY GUYS.

The prequels were kiddie and a boring, this is true. "Dark" and boring isn't the way to go until characters and stakes are established. You can't tell me that in one movie, you will establish and reestablish... luke, han, chewie, leia, c3po, R2D2, dark jedi dude, new kids, possible Bobba Feets (Everyone Character (Sucks at His Job) - YouTube), black stormtrooper guy, the wedge antilles looking fucker, the rolling soccer ball droid, and what the FUCK is up with that chocolate bar speeder.

Good thing, JJ Abrams has a track record for doing this...by reducing characters to the boldest of caricatures and relying on nostalgia to fill in the blanks. I expect Luke to be super stoic, Han to Smile at the camera like Jim from the office, Leia to be a bigger take charge bitch, and the new people to act like cardboard because there will be no previously established character for them to mock. Billy Dee and the Sullustan guy will probably show up at some point and give the new hero guy a ship to get back into the fight after he gets dropped on hoth by the millennium falcon.

But I am going to love some space splosions.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
When i read "this movie will have a darker tone" i always remember revenge of the sith "uhhhh let's make it darker because people demand it".

Bobba fett being alive....why? First it's impossible (sarlaac killed him, end of story), second: yeah he is cool and all and lucas only realized how famous he became after jedi but ffs leave that way. Don't force us to like him. Just create another cool character (or maybe an unexpected character will emerge and becomes awesome).

Royal

I didn't take the possibilities surrounding Fett's survival as detailed in the spoiler to necessarily mean that he'll be redeemed to the point of being a sympathetic character. It's entirely possible for him to, even as a shell of his former self, find a way to go down in infamy. If Han is indeed killed, he could be the one who does the deed.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
When i read "this movie will have a darker tone" i always remember revenge of the sith "uhhhh let's make it darker because people demand it".

Bobba fett being alive....why? First it's impossible (sarlaac killed him, end of story), second: yeah he is cool and all and lucas only realized how famous he became after jedi but ffs leave that way. Don't force us to like him. Just create another cool character (or maybe an unexpected character will emerge and becomes awesome).
Fett has been alive in EU for a long time. It's a tiny stretch ya but you never see a body in ROTJ and how hard is it to believe that the guy in full armor with a ton of explosives managed to kill and escape the sarlaac?

Overuse of stupid force ghosts is going to be way more annoying and you know they will do that.

Also ROTS sucked because the writing was terrible, not because they tried to make it darker. The original trilogy was actually pretty dark for movies of the time I think, lots of bad gruesome shit happened in ANH and Empire after all, way way more than happened in the first prequels. And ROTJ would have been better had Lucas not intentionally made it less dark, so I don't know how you can not like a darker theme especially if they handle it well.

ohkcrlho

Fett has been alive in EU for a long time. It's a tiny stretch ya but you never see a body in ROTJ and how hard is it to believe that the guy in full armor with a ton of explosives managed to kill and escape the sarlaac?

Overuse of stupid force ghosts is going to be way more annoying and you know they will do that.

Also ROTS sucked because the writing was terrible, not because they tried to make it darker. The original trilogy was actually pretty dark for movies of the time I think, lots of bad gruesome shit happened in ANH and Empire after all, way way more than happened in the first prequels. And ROTJ would have been better had Lucas not intentionally made it less dark, so I don't know how you can not like a darker theme especially if they handle it well.
They will only make some out of the blue escape by Boba Fett because he is now a cool character and everyone wanted to see more from him (at least a more "honorable" death). But i think they should leave him dead because IF he returns, maybe they will use him in a way people will dislike and then "oh they destroyed his character blablabla".
I like BF but he had his purpose and he died PERIOD

I agree with you. Again with the ghosts saying what the character should do or think is overused.

ROTS sucked because it was almost 100% Lucas' work and we know he sucks at writing.
The original were dark, gritty, dirty because that was to explain how things were when the empire ruled that galaxy, to show desperation, broken spirits, broken things, broken societies.
In ROTS they really tried to make it more dark because "er uh uh now anakin is bad derp derp" but....the writing was so bad, that it was like the shoved through our throats "see?see? he kills younglings (LOL) and other jedis. he's evil buahahah" *facepalm*

edit: younglings XD

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There's a fine line between "fan service" and utterly ruining something that was, at one time, cool. I don't mind mentions of stuff, but if they try and make a little wink and smile every couple minutes to shit from previous movies, it will suck. I like the fact that the leads are both "new" and relatively unknown actors. I hope they introduce more new stuff than try and tie in old shit just for the sake of "old stuff".

ohkcrlho

There's a fine line between "fan service" and utterly ruining something that was, at one time, cool. I don't mind mentions of stuff, but if they try and make a little wink and smile every couple minutes to shit from previous movies, it will suck. I like the fact that the leads are both "new" and relatively unknown actors. I hope they introduce more new stuff than try and tie in old shit just for the sake of "old stuff".
THAT is a great point. So many directors don't understand this....i mean they do, it's because they know their product will suck and know if they show to the fans "oh remember this?!!!1111!!!!", think people will like it due to references.
Just show how some movies will never live up to previous' ones and they (directors) don't even try to contradict that.

Fadaar

That guy
The leak mentions:

then later states ...

That means than unless Han just gives him the Falcon for some reason, he must die at some point in the movie. If any of it is true obviously.

Also it looks like the pic of the silver "Sith trooper" posted earlier in the thread is actually an inquisitor.
Assuming any of the shit from the 4chan thread is true -- I wonder if they're drawing a little from the EU with Gavin Darklighter? Biggs younger cousin and fairly prominent character in the X-Wing series of books.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
We all know the story that Ford wanted Han to die in Jedi. Maybe JJ gave him his wish. He just might not want to hang around for another 2 more movies as some sort of obligation. But he felt enough obligation to the character, the fans, and the SW universe to give it one last college try.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
We all know the story that Ford wanted Han to die in Jedi. Maybe JJ gave him his wish. He just might not want to hang around for another 2 more movies as some sort of obligation. But he felt enough obligation to the character, the fans, and the SW universe to give it one last college try.
They just need to give him a good line about how he should have died a long time ago as amjab at Lucas, that's the fan service that I like.

j00t

My only gripe, as has been stated by others, is how is Luke's hand on tatooine, how has it not decomposed, and how is it still holding a lightsaber?

The other things could be very interesting but I'm just stuck on that plotpoint

Royal

I know Luke's hand floating in space clutching the light saber was a rumor that predates the spoiler, but only his light saber was mentioned in that leak.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From the spoiler, it sounds like the cyborg guy (Fett?) brought the saber to Tatooine.

j00t

Weird... I swear I read that Kira and black trooper found Luke's hand and saber on tatooine. But it doesn't. Weird