Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It was so hard to get out of my head that Finn spent nearly the entire movie running and then out of breath panting. We all poked fun of it when the 1st and 2nd trailer came out, but damn, give him something to do. Guy just ran from one scene to the next!

Thought the movie was great. All the ANH stuff doesn't phase me one bit and the whole thing was very enjoyable and has me excited for the future of the series once again.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What a bunch of jaded fucks!

This movie was awesome! Easily the best acted Star Wars movie to date and easily a 9/10 for me, every bit as good as Episode 4. My biggest complaint is that the theater was so full they were serving popcorn before it was fully popped, kernels man...lots of kernels. My other small complaint is Carrie Fisher's face, apparently there are bad face lifts in a galaxy far far away. You would think they could use a Bacta tank to help her not talk like there is an invisible staple through her lips.

I was honestly nervous about this film, growing up with the original 3 then suffering through the prequels I have had my dreams crushed before. This was a huge relief and honestly better than I expected.

Daisy Ridley is a star as well as Adam Driver! Boyega, Ford and Isaac are all great too.

• I LOVED the opening line "This will make it right!" Basically saying sorry about the shitty prequels here ya go fanbois!
  • OBVIOUSLY Rey was trained in the force and had her mind wiped (probably by Luke). Those of you that want to complain about her story arc or her fight against Kylo are just looking for reasons to not like it, typical hipster fucks!
  • Kylo Ren was awesome and we finally got a believable whiny Skywalker (Solo). Adam Driver has some serious acting chops. I am very excited to see how his story progresses and how his struggle between light and dark ends.
  • Harrison Ford wanted out since Episode 5 and he finally got his wish. HIs scene with Kylo is pretty solid and I think it is a fitting way to see Solo go out.
  • Captain Phasma was underused BUT JJ explained that the script was written before they landed Gwendoline Christie, so it is understandable and I think we will see more from her later.
  • Prediction regarding Snoke is that he is much much smaller than that hologram, that felt very wizard of Oz to me. I also would not be shocked if we find out Snoke was Palps master that he had thought he left for dead.

I could go on and on but it is late and I need sleep. Great movie and I want to see it again, I have not said that about a movie in a long time.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't watched it yet. Now I am old enough to remember phantom menace was 'liked' generally for a while till the hatred set in (mostly cuz of Darth maul being cool). Is there anything in this movie that could leave a jar jar or mitichlorion taste in ones mouth?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haven't watched it yet. Now I am old enough to remember phantom menace was 'liked' generally for a while till the hatred set in (mostly cuz of Darth maul being cool). Is there anything in this movie that could leave a jar jar or mitichlorion taste in ones mouth?
Just go in knowing its not as bad as prequels

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No where near as good as Jedi.
This.

But Im not on the Empire hype train either like everyone who thinks it was the best SW movie. Dont get me wrong it was great, but Jedi imo was by far the best of the three. Acting, writing, special effects, everything. Mostly due to Hamill. He goes from insecure boy in 4 to learning to be a jedi but still unsure of himself in Empire to RotJ where he is just a complete badass. When Vader takes him prisoner on Endor to take him to the Emperor Luke is unafraid, calm and confident but not arrogant....exactly what he was trained to be with the Light side. Looking back, his character evolved a long way to this point from the kid whining about visiting with his friends in A New Hope.

Without going into detail about this movie, I agree with a lot of what was said and I would still put it on par with ep 4.

ohkcrlho

Star Wars - 8/10
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - 8/10
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - 9/10
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 8/10
(The saga for me)

Yeah....I prefer ROTJ but I always admitted that ESB is the best movie in terms of almost everything. Although nothing, for me, compares with the final showdown between Luke and Vader.

And people who compared to the prequels are just morons. When I saw TPM, I was 14 btw, I got out of the theater so disappointed and I knew why: stupid characters like jar jar, the politics bullshit, the whiny kid and most of all, midichlorians.

Yes....this movie is going for "safety" but still puts some new stuff that have much more to expanded and explained.
Btw....
I think Rey has to be a Skywalker. She is very strong and without any training, she could fight against kylo ren, although he didn't control his emotions and that was his demise.

But when she grabbed the lightsaber for the first time, weren't those visions from the future, ? Jedis can have that. Some were the past (being abondoned) , others is about her training.
Even kylo said about an island in the middle of an ocean when he was reading Rey's mind.

Oh and...
that part when Finn is "negotiating" with BB8 is really funny.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
IV - 8/10
V - 9/10
VI - 9/10
VII - 6.5/10

the good:
- did a great job of creating the Star Wars universe feel
- some great jokes mostly from the black kid and Han
- Jedi girl is pretty hot
- the rape scene was both hilarious and arousing
- special effects were great

the bad
- another death star plot... honestly pathetic at this point.
- Villain sucked. i get that he was supposed to be "conflicted" or whatever but he just came across like a whiny faggot. maybe that was the point and it's a throwback to Anakin but he was a fucking joke and I couldn't stop laughing when he took his helmet off and showed off his pubescent acne face. not intimidating in the least.
- expanding on that, the idea that the black kid could mount any sort of offense against an at least partially trained Jedi is fucking retarded. and the idea that the chick can beat him is doubly fucking stupid. the dude is a total chump at this point. how is anybody supposed to take him seriously in the next movie? are we just supposed to believe that he powered up while training?
- the pacing of the last 45 minutes or so of the movie was pretty horrible altogether. they literally get together for 20 seconds, throw together a plan that isn't any more complex than "let's get them!" then run off to their ships and start their attack.
- lots of gay cutesy robot shit
- silver storm trooper was a total let down

all in all movie was fine, but not in the league of the originals. this will be the majority consensus once the nerd hype dies down. it will be interesting to see if the new cast can carry a movie without Han to fall back on in the next one.

HUH_sl

shitlord
It's like Episode 4 but not as good because I'm not watching it for the first time when I'm 7.
C+

I mean it's not bad, but it's nowhere near great. The action falls pretty flat. I doubt I'll remember any of the action set pieces by the end of the week. I did like most of the new characters but they were poorly developed. The score was oddly disappointing too, Star Wars usually nails that shit but other than a few of the old themes I don't recall anything new being memorable. Maybe hoping for another Duel of Fates was too much.

I liked Finn, he was probably my favorite new character but his entire personality is at odds with his introduction and backstory. Kidnapped as a child, raised, trained and conditioned to be a stormtrooper and is in the middle of a nervous break down causing him to risk his life to run away from the First Order. Immediately falls into the comic relief role. I think John Boyega did a fantastic job, just the first part of his story did not fit at all with his personality.

Rey is like 2 steps from being a Mary Sue. Knows the Millennium Falcon better than Han. Has stronger force powers than the bad guy, and can kick his ass in a lightsaber fight as long as she remembers the force is a thing. I get it that she is probably Luke's daughter, she probably trained with him before getting a mind wipe or amnesia or whatever but that entire final fight plays out as "Oh shit I totally forgot about the force, DUUUHHH, now I can kick your ass."

Kylo has potential as a character but he he kinda sucks as the main villain. As soon as he loses the mask and is challenged by Rey he loses his threatening persona and instead becomes this conflicted character, which could be great but it didn't make for a strong villain. They try to get it back by having him kill Han but even then he just struggles a little too much with Finn and gets his ass kicked by Rey. Yeah he was injured and wasn't at 100% but I don't care it doesn't make for a very compelling final fight.

Poe is fine, don't see him enough to really judge an opinion other than he's the witty badass.

Captian Plasma was a joke. So was the entire Death Star 3.0 plot line. Destroy random planet I don't know or care about. Get attacked by like 10 X wings, get blown up cause you have the worst security known to man. Not like this hasn't happened before. Not like these planet destroying weapons don't cost more resources than the human mind can possibly comprehend.

What exactly is the current state of the galaxy? Did the good guys win at the end of Jedi? Is there some kind of republic ruling now? Does the First Order control parts of the galaxy? If the rebels won why is there a resistance? It seemed like after all the shit that happened in E4-6 the only thing that had changed was the names of the two factions. The world building sucked dick in this movie.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Loved it.

Really glad others said the same thing, that this movie felt like A New Hope for a new generation. There were a lot of mirrored points between episode 7 and 4; the pacing felt very similar and we saw some characters sort of come into their own in a way that was familiar.

It had some flaws, that I've spoken of with a few people.

They took pains with Rei to show that she was capable with weapons and even had a knack for certain things, like flying, which is similar to some of the things Luke could do because he was force sensitive. It was a little weird, however, that she could force persuade and pull without ever doing it or attempting it before. I'm assuming that essentially what happens is when Han says all that stuff is true, that she's kind of grown up on these myths of what Jedis were capable of, and when people mention she is sensitive, she just tries it. If that was their intent, it came off a little weak. The idea that she was trained earlier and was essentially Revan mind wiped makes more sense, but it seems like she was left on Jakku super young; how much training could she have picked up? Enough to instinctively come back to it I guess?

I loved Finn; Finn kind of reminded me of Darman from the Republic Commando series. Sort of the same kind of boyish, straight forward ideals that clone troopers had. I'm interested in what the "conditioning" part of his training entailed; it seems like he was taken at a very young age to become a trooper, then somehow develops a different moral compass from everyone around him. I was likening him to Drizzt, though Finn seemed more realistic.

Kylo Ren I thought was fantastic. I was a little nervous about him, but when he took of his mask and still managed to be foreboding, commanding, and menacing, I was blown away. The juxtaposition of this super youthful face, and insecure outbursts, coupled with his costume, his tone, etc, it was all just really well done and very believable.

Hated Han Solo dying. I knew someone major was probably going to get off'd in this movie, but fuck did it hurt.

There are a few more things I wanted to mention but I want to see it again and give it time to settle.

TL;DR - Loved the movie, did not disappoint, so glad it wasn't another prequel.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
semi off subject....

I hated that there was no longer the 20th Century Fox Fanfare logo and music before the opening...something about that always seemed to get me going as a kid.

Cepaqua_sl

shitlord
10:20pm Thursday night, got home @ 1am on the dot. Had to be up in 4 hours for work but the adrenaline is still coursing thru my body. I was there in 77' with my uncle + older brother and the opening nights for the next 5. The crowd was electric, cheering from the very beginning to the very end. Also, lots of laughter...I'm not one to laugh out loud at those types of jokes but I was grinning from ear to ear. I unplugged from the web after Monday and was fortunate to not have it spoiled. Friend of mine told me he was reading the comments from some random youtube vid and somebody decided to spoil it in the middle of his comment. These are obviously not true Star Wars fans, just a bunch of bitter, miserable bastards. Can't wait until the rest of you see it, I got my ticket the second they went live, but they added more theaters yesterday, so make sure you check Fandango. 8.5/10, absolutely loved it and counting the seconds until the next installmen

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
1) Han trying to save his son from the dark side. Even the scenery had the same feel to the Emperor's little area. 2) Having to take down the shields on the planet first, before blowing up the Death Star, and Han being the one to do it. etc. etc. There's quite a few things. Just overall the feel of it was ANH + some ROTJ "sprinkled" in.

On a separate note though. I gotta say though, that final lightsaber battle was really great. They did a very good job of portraying Finn's fear and lack of skill as well as the overall amateurism of all 3 of them. Which I personally thought was good. This is essentially the beginning of an origin story. The more time that passes, the more I like the film. I'm still disappointed, don't get me wrong, and I'm sure if I saw it again I might have that disappointment reignited (or perhaps not), but once you've left the theater for a day, you start to forget all the little things that bothered you and remember the good. And there was enough good for it to be an immersive, nostalgic experience.

I am surprised at the total lack of crossguard lightsaber criticism now that the film has been released. I know a lot of fans hated it the first time they saw it and that a lot of us hoped there'd be an explanation for it, since it doesn't make sense in combat (although they did force that scene in where Kylo used it to his advantage, but still, that fucker was spinning it around like crazy, no way he wouldn't lose fingers, it's still stupid imo. But I guess everyone has looked passed that, which is fine. But there's no explanation for it. He's been trained, he has a sith master (presumably Snoke is a sith lord yeah?), so he should know how to construct one, but meh, I guess he has a specific style of combat and has found a way to make it work for him. I did like the jagged, roughness to his saber overall though.

I also like how it appears that Kylo doesn't follow the Sith playbook. He will use any force powers that benefit him, light or dark. I mean, they did mention him being on the dark side and shit a few times, which I actually wish they didn't, because it'd be cool if he was neither, but was still evil. I liked him using force push, which is almost exclusively a light jedi power. I get the sense we'll see more of that as well (hopefully), where the lines are blurred for him between light side force powers and dark side force powers.

I guess my biggest overall gripe is being really pissed and annoyed at the character inconsistency of Luke going all emo and running away. But omg the hype for seeing him kick ass will be insane. He is going to be godmode I hope. But my personal theory is that he'll be killed in the final film and that Rey will have to save the day and defeat Snoke/save Kylo. I hope to god they use that Tupac concert technology/Paul Walker shit to use Alec Guiness Obi-Wan projection and have him be in one of the next films consulting/talking with Luke.

There were PLENTY of forced lines, specially from Han. Like, are you trying to tell me that after being with Chewbacca for 40+ years that he's never used his bowcaster before? Shit like that annoyed the hell out of me.
Force push isn't a light power, the fuck are you on about?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
semi off subject....

I hated that there was no longer the 20th Century Fox Fanfare logo and music before the opening...something about that always seemed to get me going as a kid.
Yeah I mentioned this back when Disney first announced the acquisition of Lucasfilm and said that new movies would be on the way. Star Wars was the first movie that developed such a strong association between the searchlight logo and the full length intro music in my young mind. Most of the 20th Century Fox movies used the abbreviated version back then. It doesn't matter what movie I'm about to see when it comes across the screen I instantly think of Star Wars to this day. Gonna miss hearing that music pour over the Lucasfilm logo.

I felt the same way about it back when Fox said they were going to drop the 20th Century from the logo. Was glad they changed their minds on that.

ohkcrlho

Yeah I mentioned this back when Disney first announced the acquisition of Lucasfilm and said that new movies would be on the way. Star Wars was the first movie that developed such a strong association between the searchlight logo and the full length intro music in my young mind. Most of the 20th Century Fox movies used the abbreviated version back then. Gonna miss hearing that music pour over the Lucasfilm logo.
When i listen to 20th century fox's fanfare i always remember 2 movies: Star Wars and Alien. Ironically or not, 2 of my favourite movies/sagas.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Question, anyone took a wife/gf, with zero StarWars knowledge yet? I was amazed today, wife asked if we wanted to see VII, i guess from all the hype, she's interested. But she has had a very bad experience, she never saw any SW, and the first SW she ever saw was when i took her to see episode 1 almost 20years ago. This one movie, has made her hate sci-fi and starwars, And i can't blame her.

But shes willing for eps VII, do you guys think she'll need 4,5,6 to appreciate it? or is VII now a good stand alone?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_120185.jpg

Keg's right.

ohkcrlho

Question, anyone took a wife/gf, with zero StarWars knowledge yet? I was amazed today, wife asked if we wanted to see VII, i guess from all the hype, she's interested. But she has had a very bad experience, she never saw any SW, and the first SW she ever saw was when i took her to see episode 1 almost 20years ago. This one movie, has made her hate sci-fi and starwars, And i can't blame her.

But shes willing for eps VII, do you guys think she'll need 4,5,6 to appreciate it? or is VII now a good stand alone?
Watch the force awakens with her and then she has to watch the other 3 to understand some backstory