Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just got back myself. Overall it was a good movie but sometimes the pacing seemed rushed, and some of the storyline/Macguffins seemed overly contrived to me. I'd still give it an 8/10 despite that.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
9/10 for me.

Problem with pacing? Guess YOU didn't have to 40oz pee during the movie and had to try to find a good time to do it. The fact that you super nerds with the rose colored glasses and EQ nostalgia gave it above 6+/10's on most of your reviews just goes to show it's a pretty good movie overall by a normal non-poopsocker type.

I think the Rey being Luke's daughter thing is too fucking easy. He could just toy with it back and forth and then say "yeah, she's Rey Skywalker." But who knows, I kind of hoped it was the twin thing. Maybe Han hustled Rey away because Leia wanted them both to go to Jedi school and that's why they were fighting. Unfortunately, Leia would've had more to say to Rey about it if she was her mother and Chewie sure as fuck would've known Han's kid.

Anyone got a good idea who the Max Von Sydow was? I guess IMDB has him as some Lor San Tekka. I thought he was Wedge. He said "She'll always be royalty to me" which implies to me he was from Alderan. Hopefully next episode they have some backstory/flashbacks that use him and Luke and Rey and we get to figure some more shit out.

Snoke? Who the fuck is this guy. He's obviously been fucked up. It would be LOL if he was one of the kids Anakin wrecked in the prequels. I guess safe bet is the guy who taught Palpatine. It would've been cool if he was actually a giant humanoid, but he's just using holograms to project himself as overwhelmingly powerful. Sounds very Palpatine-esque.

I like how Kylo Ren isn't like Luke who has to fight between staying good and giving into the dark side, but the opposite. Pretty much sets him up to go good at some point and fucking wreck allthebadguyz. So that'll be cool.
More accurately, people like you are overhyping it much the same way people overhyped The Phantom Menace when it came out, and it wasn't until years later when they looked at the prequels objectively that they actually admitted to themselves that they were terrible. No, it's not nearly as bad as the prequels, but to say it's on par with any of the original trilogy is just ridiculous.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
7pm show let out a few minutes ago here in LA. I'm waiting till tomorrow night to see it with my 2 nephews for the first time, but my phone has been going off non stop since it let out. As the resident SW guru of my circle of friends, everyone felt they needed to check in. People are losing their friggin minds over this movie. I feel like we here might be holding this to a standard higher than almost everyone else. Everyone texting me likes Star Wars enough to see it as soon as possible, but none of the are fanatics like many of us. And every single one of them is raving about what they just saw.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah just got back, would be 8-8.5/10 for me. Few pacing issues and some story issues, but otherwise great.

spronk

FPS noob
8/10. Fantastic while I watched it, only one or two minor disappointments. Left slightly melancholy though, don't really feel like I need to watch it in theaters again.

Kylo Ren sucks, what a huge emo John Travolta look alike faggot. Luke Skywalker blueballs cliffhanger also is a major bummer. On reflection the entire movie sort of feels like a rehash of the original trilogy, just with everything bigger - Snork (?) instead of The Emperor, an even bigger death star, looking for Luke instead of carbonite Solo. Phasma basically doing nothing sucked, she and fighter pilot guy felt like setups for spin off movies.

All done well (except for Kylo) but I feel both happy at what I saw but also the feeling I've already seen most of this movie. I will totally agree that kids today should love this movie, it feels like Star Wars updated for current generation.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Without nitpicking over something like an 8.8 or 9.1 I'll just call it a 9/10. Wasn't a Disney "omg we're star wars" circlejerk, wasn't a pure origin story, it was Episode 7 and better than the prequels.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Movie was 8.5/10, I had the following issues:

Pacing.
- We see the Tie fighter get hit and then all of a sudden finn is parachuted out and stranded alone. No idea what happens to Poe.
- They spend a bunch of time trying to escape Jakku, and Poe magically appears at the resistance base.
- I thought how leia/han kept saying "our son" was a little too cheesy, no one refers to their kid as "our son" say his name. I understand why for the big reveal but was still poorly written.
- I didn't like how weak ass the resistance is, I mean apparently they had ONLY like 10 xwings in the entire fleet?
- I get that Rey's force powers were "awakened" when Kylo mind raped her, but not sure how she went from desert rat to beating Ren in a LS duel, even if he was injured. He can stop laser bolts with no effort, he could have just force choked her to death.
- She was way too good with the LS.
- No explanation for how Han/Chewie find the falcon and why it took them so long, if they had been looking for it that long they should have found it, Rey says it hadn't flown in years so obviously they have been searching for some time but just so happen to run into it.
- In fact the entire scene meeting Han/Chewie with the monsters I felt was unnecessary and long, they could have done it a different way. The pirates served no purpose, they are introduced then killed.
- I thought Snoke in the throne was cool, and actually wished he was that big at first, was kind disappointing when he was a holo.

Otherwise pretty great, most of my issues were pacing/a few plot holes but otherwise going to see it again.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
These are my ratings thus far. Overall it was an excellent movie.

New Hope 8/10
Empire 9.5/10
Jedi 7/10
Phantom 4/10
Clones 5/10
Revenge 4/10
Force Awakens 8.5/10

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

Pacing.
- We see the Tie fighter get hit and then all of a sudden finn is parachuted out and stranded alone. No idea what happens to Poe.
- They spend a bunch of time trying to escape Jakku, and Poe magically appears at the resistance base.
- I thought how leia/han kept saying "our son" was a little too cheesy, no one refers to their kid as "our son" say his name. I understand why for the big reveal but was still poorly written.
- I didn't like how weak ass the resistance is, I mean apparently they had ONLY like 10 xwings in the entire fleet?
- I get that Rey's force powers were "awakened" when Kylo mind raped her, but not sure how she went from desert rat to beating Ren in a LS duel, even if he was injured. He can stop laser bolts with no effort, he could have just force choked her to death.
- No explanation for how Han/Chewie find the falcon and why it took them so long, if they had been looking for it that long they should have found it, Rey says it hadn't flown in years so obviously they have been searching for some time but just so happen to run into it.
- In fact the entire scene meeting Han/Chewie with the monsters I felt was unnecessary and long, they could have done it a different way. The pirates served no purpose, they are introduced then killed.
- I thought Snoke in the throne was cool, and actually wished he was that big at first, was kind disappointing when he was a holo.

Otherwise pretty great, most of my issues were pacing/a few plot holes but otherwise going to see it again.
In reply to your issues :

- The way the TIE crash on Jakku was handled was a little weird yes, not sure what the goal was beyond having Finn go "OMG you're alive" at Poe later, even though the audience was certain all along he was alive since he is one of the main new characters.. But it didn't really ruin the story for me, was just an odd director choice, or maybe some stuff was cut.

- Rey developping her powers quickly (especially mind tricks) and how to use a lightsaber surprised me at first, not in a good way. Then I realized that the flashes she gets when she touches Anakin's/Luke's saber were memories (and future visions) and that she had in fact been trained before, at a younger age, by Luke on the island we see at the end. That's why Kylo Ren, who killed all the other apprentices, pops a gasket when his underling says there was "a girl". And why he tells her when mind-probing her that he knows why she sees an ocean and an island before she goes to sleep at night. Remember that Rey didn't even believe Jedi were real at first, then as soon as she figures she may be Force-sensitive by resisting Kylo Ren, she suddenly uses a very specific way to do mind tricks, just like trained Jedi do. The way she was obviously conditionned to go back to Jakku ASAP or else she'll miss her "parents" picking her up was also heavily-implied to be a sort of brainwashing, possibly to protect her by never leaving desert shithole planet and attracting attention.

- The Resistance was rather weakly equipped, yes. I think it's strongly implied that this Resistance is a splinter group because the New Republic isn't taking the First Order seriously. This is implied by Hux's speech saying they'll finally reveal themselves as a force to be reckoned with. Basically Leia and her followers (Ackbar hoo!) gathered people to strike first, but it was already too late.

- Han and Chewie finding the Falcon just out of the blue felt contrived, but then again this takes place in an universe where you can just chalk up anything to "the will of the Force". So yeah, just go with it I guess. The tentacled monsters / pirates scene was indeed a bit long considering how little it did to move the story.

- I'm pretty sure Snoke is very tall, even without the hologram. Probably not AS tall as the hologram makes him out to be, but according to Serkis he is supposed to tower over other characters and could not have been done with prosthetics because of his body structure.

As for my own issue that is not one of yours, I guess the main issue I had was with Phasma being pretty much useless in THIS movie. I'm sure she'll have a much bigger role in the others, and maybe this humiliation (trash compactor) was the setup for Finn's character arc since he is now not the Jedi character we may have expected. Perhaps he'll have an arc where he decides to sabotage the stormtrooper facilities that abduct children and brainwash them like he was, I dunno!

Another thing I thought was odd, and a lot of people have mentionned it, was the pacing for some stuff... like when the planet is about to implode, it's implied that Hux has already abandonned ship, and we are led to believe he'll also pick up Kylo Ren (because Snoke tells him to do that), but we never see Hux, Kylo Ren, or Phasma leaving the planet. For all we know they all died when the planet exploded (forming a new sun apparently?). I'm 100% sure they'll all be back for the sequels, plus one big facial scar for Kylo, but I think having a single shot where you see his ship leaving the planet with Hux and Phasma onboard and an unconscious Kylo would not have been wasted.

Xevy

Log Wizard
More accurately, people like you are overhyping it much the same way people overhyped The Phantom Menace when it came out, and it wasn't until years later when they looked at the prequels objectively that they actually admitted to themselves that they were terrible. No, it's not nearly as bad as the prequels, but to say it's on par with any of the original trilogy is just ridiculous.
Etchazz post in movie thread. Classic. Where's Edge at?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
8/10. Fantastic while I watched it, only one or two minor disappointments. Left slightly melancholy though, don't really feel like I need to watch it in theaters again.

Kylo Ren sucks, what a huge emo John Travolta look alike faggot. Luke Skywalker blueballs cliffhanger also is a major bummer. On reflection the entire movie sort of feels like a rehash of the original trilogy, just with everything bigger - Snork (?) instead of The Emperor, an even bigger death star, looking for Luke instead of carbonite Solo. Phasma basically doing nothing sucked, she and fighter pilot guy felt like setups for spin off movies.

All done well (except for Kylo) but I feel both happy at what I saw but also the feeling I've already seen most of this movie. I will totally agree that kids today should love this movie, it feels like Star Wars updated for current generation.
I think this was the point of Kylo Ren. He's a Vader wannabe, and was lured to the dark side with promises of power. He's not really very talented with the force and everything about him screams insecurity. Even his light saber looks to be over compensation and is poorly made. Notice how the beam is weak looking and imperfect? Notice how the commander on that ship doesn't even respect him? He even throws tantrums like a child. I feel like this character wants to be a prodigy like his grandfather (Vader) but isn't, and I get the feeling that Ren being a prodigy is going to seriously piss him the fuck off in the future movies. Hell, it's even explicitly stated that his training isn't even complete. Tbh I think he's probably the most interesting character in the movie so far.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I think this was the point of Kylo Ren. He's a Vader wannabe, and was lured to the dark side with promises of power. He's not really very talented with the force and everything about him screams insecurity. Even his light saber looks to be over compensation and is poorly made. Notice how the beam is weak looking and imperfect? Notice how the commander on that ship doesn't even respect him? He even throws tantrums like a child. I feel like this character wants to be a prodigy like his grandfather (Vader) but isn't, and I get the feeling that Ren being a prodigy is going to seriously piss him the fuck off in the future movies. Hell, it's even explicitly stated that his training isn't even complete. Tbh I think he's probably the most interesting character in the movie so far.
He's very good. Upon leaving the theater I only thought he was a bit above decent, but I think that was just because I know Adam Driver from Girls so well. But now that I've had time to digest it, he was fantastic. I seem to be the only one that really appreciated Finn as well? Obviously Rey and Kylo are amazing, but I thought Finn was fantastic too. All 3 of them are superstars in the film, and really, that's the most important thing, because they are the essence of the new trilogy.

Merrith

Pacing.

-Poe explains what happens when they meet up again, he says he was thrown from the ship and when he woke up no Finn, no ship.
-Did we really need to see some shot of them picking up Poe? Pretty much works better to not see it so him and Finn can have their reunion later. Also considering he was sent there by Leia specifically (surely everyone remembers the scrolling intro), not unlikely they would send someone to check up on him
-Ever meet parents who lost a child before? Sometimes they don't like having their name said. While Ben wasn't dead (love that they named him this btw, was very powerful when Han yelled it), losing him to the dark side could be just as painful
-Yeah the resistance didn't seem to have much firepower, although don't forget the line about "without the Republic fleet we're doomed". Sort of implied they lost a lot of their forces when Republic ate it.
-Well at least you remembered he was injured, read through a couple pages back and mouth breathers were all like "she just instantly went Super Jedi mode". Considering he couldn't even out pull the old lightsaber from her with the Force, I'm guessing him trying to force choke her to death would have been about as useless. Also note that Snoke said he still had to complete his training, implying it was incomplete. Rey pretty much showed she could handle his powers 1v1 during her interrogation. Kylo also noted to the stormtroopers who were checking hangars for her that the longer she goes without being recaptured the greater a danger she would be.
-Seems obvious she's had training before. The visions when she touched Luke's old lightsaber, the stuff Kylo saw in the interrogation, the whole getting abandoned on a desert planet thing. Kylo reacting how he did to "a girl" seemed for this to make sense as well. Also kind of weird that the guy who had the missing piece to the map just happened to be on the same planet as Rey. Old protector watching from afar just like Obi-Wan?
-Not all of the pirates died, and the head guy for the first group informs the First Order that the droid and the two fugitives are traveling with Han Solo aboard the Millennium Falcon.
-Agreed on Snoke with the hologram stuff, although I wish they would have given us just a little bit more on him. Everyone in the Resistance seemed to know about him, Han and Leia especially knew what he did to their kid.

8.5/10 for me. Definitely a lot of throwback but I agree it FELT like Star Wars. New characters were all much better than I was expecting. I understand people's problems with the pacing, but just felt like a minor issue to me personally.

Merrith

He's very good. Upon leaving the theater I only thought he was a bit above decent, but I think that was just because I know Adam Driver from Girls so well. But now that I've had time to digest it, he was fantastic. I seem to be the only one that really appreciated Finn as well? Obviously Rey and Kylo are amazing, but I thought Finn was fantastic too. All 3 of them are superstars in the film, and really, that's the most important thing, because they are the essence of the new trilogy.
Yeah I thought all of the new characters (including Poe with your 3) did great jobs. Kind of bodes well.

Also not that this is a spoiler or anything, but man Carrie Fisher hasn't aged well. Seemed like she had a shit ton of makeup done to even look semi normal.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Also not that this is a spoiler or anything, but man Carrie Fisher hasn't aged well. Seemed like she had a shit ton of makeup done to even look semi normal.
I think it's the opposite. I think she aged fine (but fatter, obviously) and they tried to make her attractive by adding too much shit. Looked like her lips were fucked and she had 1/2 a lb of mascara and she had caps on her teeth or something weird. If you saw her on 30 Rock a few years ago she looked like a normal older woman.

I thought characters were pretty good too. They didn't clone the characters 1:1 like I expected them to.