Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Lol at some of you guys scoring the originals at 7/10 or 8/10. Those were 10/10, all of them.
I disagree totally with that. (respectfully of course)

I am a movie snob of course, and like to look at each film as impartial as I can.

Empire is not only the best of any and all SW films, many would include it in there top 50 or 100 all time. (I personally hate numbering but it succeeds on almost every level of storytelling)

SW and ROTJ tend to have issues and problems, thus while many score them lower.

again of course, this is all my opinion. (As an average film fan and in no way a movie critic)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't watched it yet. Now I am old enough to remember phantom menace was 'liked' generally for a while till the hatred set in (mostly cuz of Darth maul being cool). Is there anything in this movie that could leave a jar jar or mitichlorion taste in ones mouth?
I "liked" phantom menace but even with the shine of newness it missed so many notes even at the time it was a bit disappointing.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Force push is used by Jedi throughout all of the prequels. Yoda haduken's the fuck out of Palpatine with it.

giphy.gif

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I noticed a common criticism about the movie...
Rey being able to fly and to fight without any training.
I agree about the fighting, kylo should have killed her quickly but , from my pov, he was injuried, knew she had the Force but he was somewhat cocky and fighting fueled with emotions it works but only in a short period of time (ie Luke defeating Vader). He was angry and you could see he was unbalanced, emotionally and physically. I'm just assuming of course.

About the flying....do you remember Luke in the 1st movie? He was an young lad, who have never left Tatooine, all his friends gone and....he said he was a great pilot. We never saw him flying anything before he got on the X wing. So...they gave Luke an aircraft because he or someone told he was a good pilot, although he had ZERO combat experience?
Yes he fired a couple of shots on the Millenium Falcon but i think he had a gift for that all because he had the Force. Hell, he even disregard the computer to fire the torpedoes that destroyed the Death Star, all because Obi Wan told him to use the Force.

I wanted an explanation why Rey knew so kuch about the ship like "since i was abondoned here, i spent so much time inside the ship, wondering what would be like if i would fly this thing out of here but i was afraid to leave.". Knowing mechanics and shit was fine but knowing so much about the MF? I agree it's really far fetched.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Without nitpicking over something like an 8.8 or 9.1 I'll just call it a 9/10. Wasn't a Disney "omg we're star wars" circlejerk, wasn't a pure origin story, it was Episode 7 and better than the prequels.
This is pretty much me. It was the kind of movie I was hoping the prequels would be. It also has characters that actually have some chemistry unlike the prequels. Kylo needs to keep his helmet on though.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is pretty much me. It was the kind of movie I was hoping the prequels would be. It also has characters that actually have some chemistry unlike the prequels.Kylo needs to keep his helmet on though.
yes......this fucked his character quite a bit, the mystery was gone. And it only made sense the 2nd time.

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Those of you saying this was better than Jedi must really really hate the Ewoks!

Its a good movie, nowhere near a great one...it's not even the best reboot of the year. A solid 6 or 7 for me, with hope that the next two are far far less derivative than this one was. The new characters are great though, so I'm excited to see what Act 2 will be like with Johnson helming it. He's the best of the 3 directors, and the perfect one for what should be the heaviest of the new films.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Someone said it best in an earlier post that describes my opinion perfectly. I recognize that ESB is a better movie but I enjoy RotJ more especially in replay value. I think for me ESB and RotJ are interchangeable 1 and 2's in terms of my personal taste and TFA falls right behind them. I don't have anything again A New Hope but I typically find first installments to most series less enjoyable even though they are vital to the story and founding the characters and concepts.

fris

Vyemm Raider
somewhat disappointed. as much as i tried, my expectations got too high.

another story about a death star. bigger and inside a planet while sucking up a star felt no different than previous death stars. there was an inevitability to it being destroyed.

losing Han felt like a copy & paste from New Hope. maybe the little kid inside me just can't take losing a core character. that and it didn't feel necessary. if he pulled an Aniken and killed all these little jedi's in training, killing his father didn't advance the character. Chewie should have gone ape (har har) shit at that point. not jumping down and tossing Ren was disappointing. the saber fight in the woods w/ Rey, i was constantly looking for Chewie to jump out of the shadow at any point and just wreck.

Leia looks busted. so much cosmetic work that she can't raise her lips over her teeth, limited how she read lines.

Luke. man, Luke. hopefully he turns it around the remaining sequels, but it feels like he's done so much voice acting that he can't help but over act phycially in front of the camera. that look he gave Rey just felt weird. Every jedi in the SW universe has appeared more powerful on screen, i really hope he isn't weak. the obvious showdown w/ Ben/Ren better exceed Obi Wan & Qui vs Darth Maul.

good

Rey
amazing actor. i didn't notice it till someone said it above, but strongly agree that she's been trained, probably by Luke, and had her mind suppressed and hidden. i wouldn't be surprised to find her the sister of Ben/Ren. she stole the show and is fully capable to carry the story solo (har har).

FN
Only reason he didn't seem as impressive as he was was due to being in Rey's shadow. a much needed comedic counter to Ren.

The Rebel (are they really rebels if they're stronger than the empire now?) pilot, forget his name. a bit All American, but tolerable. the scene where he's taking out tie fighter after tie while Ren watches from the ground was perfect. i felt that kind of action was more enjoyable from that view than from inside the cockpit or just seeing a bunch of ships circling in space.

easily better than the prequels. i'm not yet ready to rank it w/ the originals. this one had to introduce new characters while building from existing. w/ that out of the way, i'm curious how the next 2 are. i can see this being the least fav of the sequels.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Someone said it best in an earlier post that describes my opinion perfectly. I recognize that ESB is a better movie but I enjoy RotJ more especially in replay value. I think for me ESB and RotJ are interchangeable 1 and 2's in terms of my personal taste and TFA falls right behind them. I don't have anything again A New Hope but I typically find first installments to most series less enjoyable even though they are vital to the story and founding the characters and concepts.
ROTJ was always my favorite growing up and then ESB became my favorite when I was older than 20ish. Nothing beats the Vader redemption arc in ROTJ for a kid imo. But despite my absolute obsession with ESB (I met Irvin Kershner and almost died), I can see how some people prefer ROTJ.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
somewhat disappointed. as much as i tried, my expectations got too high.

another story about a death star. bigger and inside a planet while sucking up a star felt no different than previous death stars. there was an inevitability to it being destroyed.

losing Han felt like a copy & paste from New Hope. maybe the little kid inside me just can't take losing a core character. that and it didn't feel necessary. if he pulled an Aniken and killed all these little jedi's in training, killing his father didn't advance the character. Chewie should have gone ape (har har) shit at that point. not jumping down and tossing Ren was disappointing. the saber fight in the woods w/ Rey, i was constantly looking for Chewie to jump out of the shadow at any point and just wreck.

Leia looks busted. so much cosmetic work that she can't raise her lips over her teeth, limited how she read lines.

Luke. man, Luke. hopefully he turns it around the remaining sequels, but it feels like he's done so much voice acting that he can't help but over act phycially in front of the camera. that look he gave Rey just felt weird. Every jedi in the SW universe has appeared more powerful on screen, i really hope he isn't weak. the obvious showdown w/ Ben/Ren better exceed Obi Wan & Qui vs Darth Maul.

good

Rey
amazing actor. i didn't notice it till someone said it above, but strongly agree that she's been trained, probably by Luke, and had her mind suppressed and hidden. i wouldn't be surprised to find her the sister of Ben/Ren. she stole the show and is fully capable to carry the story solo (har har).

FN
Only reason he didn't seem as impressive as he was was due to being in Rey's shadow. a much needed comedic counter to Ren.

The Rebel (are they really rebels if they're stronger than the empire now?) pilot, forget his name. a bit All American, but tolerable. the scene where he's taking out tie fighter after tie while Ren watches from the ground was perfect. i felt that kind of action was more enjoyable from that view than from inside the cockpit or just seeing a bunch of ships circling in space.

easily better than the prequels. i'm not yet ready to rank it w/ the originals. this one had to introduce new characters while building from existing. w/ that out of the way, i'm curious how the next 2 are. i can see this being the least fav of the sequels.
I thought luke looked amazing, so powerful and super jedi. Agree about death star tripe though, it's been done 3/4 movies not including the prequels, and the whole way it worked made no sense. I get it sucked a star but it was a planet so what happens when the star is gone? it gets 1 shot and thats it? Its not like it can fly around. Also agree with Leia, not sure if its all the drugs Carrie fisher is done but her voice/face just doesnt seem to work/sound right. She sounds like a penguin.

Also what was up with R2D2 being emo and asleep all these year then magically waking up? They dont really explain why he wakes up finally, I mean BB8 was there near the start of the movie with the full map and R2 didnt wakeup and then all of a sudden when they get back from bombing the deathstar he decides it time?

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Daniel Craig is apparently the storm trooper in the jedi mind trick scene.
Unspoiling a part of this, because it's fun if true.

Simon Pegg said he and Daniel Craig got cameos in the movie, though Craig denies it. Apparently Spectre and The Force Awakens were being filmed at the same time at Pinewood and Craig strolled into TFA's set and got a part lol.

Malkav

French Madman
I thought luke looked amazing, so powerful and super jedi. Agree about death star tripe though, it's been done 3/4 movies not including the prequels, and the whole way it worked made no sense. I get it sucked a star but it was a planet so what happens when the star is gone? it gets 1 shot and thats it? Its not like it can fly around. Also agree with Leia, not sure if its all the drugs Carrie fisher is done but her voice/face just doesnt seem to work/sound right. She sounds like a penguin.

Also what was up with R2D2 being emo and asleep all these year then magically waking up? They dont really explain why he wakes up finally, I mean BB8 was there near the start of the movie with the full map and R2 didnt wakeup and then all of a sudden when they get back from bombing the deathstar he decides it time?
The thing that would make sense about R2 to me was that he was in sleep mode while computing the map to Luke or something, and he just coincidently woke up at this point. When he wakes up someone translates him saying something like "he finally found it" or something.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Addressing the Death Star story complaint...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I'm not sure why all the Death Star hate? That's the villain calling card in the Star Wars Universe.. to have a weapon so big and so strong to intimidate the entire universe into submission and their rule. Secondly, this is 1/3 of the movies. I felt JJ was pay homage to the originals by taking this angle. Now that it's destroyed... it's over I doubt now that the remaining two movies will be building an even bigger Death Star v4. Maybe if they do, we can complain. I can't think of a TV show and movie where a villain deviates very much from their plans. Usually their methods are their trademark and as stupid as it may be, to me that's just cinema. There's just not very much room to alter the formula in my opinion. I don't disagree with the complaint, I just don't see how you can expect much different

Fan Theory Discussion...
So I heard today that there's quite a bit of talk regarding the reference to the Clone Troopers. Let me see if I can get this right.... supposedly in Kylo Ren's discontent with Hux's troopers, he takes the jab about getting Clone Troopers (I heard that...) but the idea is Hux's army is a "one up" on the Clone Troopers as they are genetically modified or cloned from legendary fighter DNA.. not just some hired bounty hunter. Supposedly, Finn is somehow born from either Han or Lando's DNA. Captain Phasma may potentially be from BobaFett, and there are other examples to where Hux somehow raised an army by creating different troops with these different skills. I didn't see very much to this idea online but heard it after the showing and then again at work. Anyone hear of this theory? Seems a little farfetched..