Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was wondering about this also when they fought, sabers don't need any force to cut through someone so unless the Jedi is attempting to knock the blade out of someones hand why use it like a lumberjack chopping trees. Seemed like fencing and poking holes in someone would be the way to go.
But you see the plasma beam being contained by the forcefield on a saber creates such gyroscopic forces that it actually does take significant strength, agility, training and force sensitivity to properly wield!

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That's another thing... Anyone else get the feeling that Rey's saber style was VERY similar to Palpatine's with the two handed high stabbing stance?
I felt she was kind of using it like she would use her staff, jabbing and such. She certainly didn't have a polished look about her, kind of wild swings and thrusts.

And when I saw it, it was 1045 AM on Friday, and there only about a dozen people there, neckbeards who obviously skipped out of work early (myself among that number) and a few very elderly couples.

There was a reverent quiet about the whole theater, and nobody moved or even spoke until the credits were over.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I felt she was kind of using it like she would use her staff, jabbing and such. She certainly didn't have a polished look about her, kind of wild swings and thrusts.
She was thrusting constantly (oh yeah!) I thought it was almost designed to look like she was flailing and a bit unsure of how to go about attacking. Then when the force awokeneded up in her she had better form and skills from her Bene Jedisserit other memories guiding her through the warp.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
we talked about it way earlier in this thread.

They are swords. Space swords, but just swords. The blaster (ie guns) have obsoleted them in almost all scenarios. Jedi's still use them, almost ceremoniously rather than for function, but they can get by with only using saber's because they have the force.

Weak jedi can funnel the force into their swordsmanship skills to deflect blaster bolts, and fall back on using a blaster as well when needed (like luke did with his bare minimal training,and like all the jedi did in the prequels because lucas is terrible). Stronger Jedi like Vader or Kylo can just deflect blaster shots (or fucking freeze them in space like Kylo) using the force alone. Masters of the force like Yoda or Emperor don't even need sabers at all, they are strong enough in the force to not need weapons.
if emperor was so strong how he get rekt by Mace Dindu?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
if emperor was so strong how he get rekt by Mace Dindu?
I felt that he let himself get wrecked to force Anakin into some sketchy decisions. Though Mace Windu was also a certified badass and a master on a level with the best of them, and had a unique fighting style that utilized the dark side? Something something something dark side.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Mace Windu was considered the best swordsmen in the Jedi Council, better than Master Yoda, although his mastery of the force wasn't as strong.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Mace Windu was considered the best swordsmen in the Jedi Council, better than Master Yoda, although his mastery of the force wasn't as strong.
By whom, you ask?

This guy.

rrr_img_120471.jpg

And don't quote book/novel bullshit. Obi-Wan referenced Yoda as the greatest swordsman in Ep 2. The movie.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I have no doubt that Palpatine "losing" was all part of his master plan. Im sure he knew anakin would come and save him at that moment.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My favorite complaint about the movie is people being mystified that an organization known for losing superweapons due to lack of security in important areas and/or due to terrible fucking weak point design lost another superweapon due to lack of security regarding the defensive shield and with an obvious weak point that would cause the whole thing to blow.

People acting like it's inexplicable that it could happen again. This would be like if fans were super surprised every time Tony Romo throws an interception all over again each time he continued to throw them.

Cybsled

Yet people still like the Cowboys. The Empire/First Order are the Cowboys of the Star Wars films: They start strong and fool you into thinking they can win, then they shit themselves in the final 2 minutes.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yet people still like the Cowboys. The Empire/First Order are the Cowboys of the Star Wars films: They start strong and fool you into thinking they can win, then they shit themselves in the final 2 minutes.
We can go places with this.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I bet you spent the last 3 days thinking this gem up just to drop it on us now.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
In that recording it really does sound like someone in a helmet. But when I was in the theater it sounded exactly like the fat alien trying to buy BB-8 from her with food rations, and I remember clearly seeing his fat chubby hand on the little girls shoulder.
Incidently that was Simon Pegg's character.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Just got back from seeing it. Going to go see it again in like an hour with a buddy who just got out of work. Fucking astounding. I wept I tiny bit when they first showed the Falcon.