Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
This movie sucked a dick. Its basically Pirates of the Caribbean humor, Star Trek action, Star wars Universe mish mash.

Its hard to sum up my / my wife's gripes, but basically was all the clich? bullshit. Oh shit FINISH HIM. . ... oh too bad Earthquake the ground split up too bad. TOO BAD IT HAPPENS THO SOMETIMES THE WORLD SPLITS UP RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT

hey, lets leave the film on a cliffhanger....ON A CLIFF!!! PAHAHAHAH

No really, it was bad. Really bad.

I'm glad to hear a lot of people enjoyed it. Maybe you still have souls and I do not, or vice versa, I'm not sure.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
She was thrusting constantly (oh yeah!) I thought it was almost designed to look like she was flailing and a bit unsure of how to go about attacking. Then when the force awokeneded up in her she had better form and skills from her Bene Jedisserit other memories guiding her through the warp.
I love everything about this statement.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This movie sucked a dick. Its basically Pirates of the Caribbean humor, Star Trek action, Star wars Universe mish mash.

Its hard to sum up my / my wife's gripes, but basically was all the clich? bullshit. Oh shit FINISH HIM. . ... oh too bad Earthquake the ground split up too bad. TOO BAD IT HAPPENS THO SOMETIMES THE WORLD SPLITS UP RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT

No really, it was bad. Really bad.

I'm glad to hear a lot of people enjoyed it. Maybe you still have souls and I do not, or vice versa, I'm not sure.
the stupidest part of that ending, other than the pure retardedness of these scrubs overpowering Kylo, was that was literally standing over him, then the earth splits without anybody moving, then they're 30 meters apart. yeah ok.

Xevy

Log Wizard
You guys are going to be pissed when you find out Tie Fighters don't make noise in space either.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Its been ages since I went to them regularly but opening weekend / night crowds tend to be more into the movie, thus loud laughter and some cheering.
Is this a weird American thing? If someone started cheering in the cinema here they'd either have the entire crowd deathglaring them or be kicked out. Why would you cheer at a movie? It can't hear you :/

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
tumblr_inline_npntmsdfcl1s31gbb_500.jpg

Xeldar

Silver Squire
The more I think about this movie the more my suspension of disbelief gets removed. Big points: Poe, Finn, and Rey needed to be condensed down to two characters. 2) Ren facing off against Solo needs to be a choice. Facing daddy or recapturing Rey. Finn fighting Kylo with lightsabre makes sense, so does Rey force pulling the light sabre, but Ren vs. Ray light sabre duel? fuckin bullshit. I don't care if she ends up as the stronger character but her power level as protagonist jumping over your lead antagonist makes 0 sense. Have the earth split, they're seperated and Chewie in the falcon shows up and blasts Ren.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Also, it's clear Rey is a Skywalker because when she is piloting the Falcon agains the two tie fighter she reverse-180 noscopes the dead cannons into a fire positioning, indicating she clearly inherited the Skywalker being the best star pilot gene.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
The more I think about this movie the more my suspension of disbelief gets removed. Big points: Poe, Finn, and Rey needed to be condensed down to two characters. 2) Ren facing off against Solo needs to be a choice. Facing daddy or recapturing Rey. Finn fighting Kylo with lightsabre makes sense, so does Rey force pulling the light sabre, but Ren vs. Ray light sabre duel? fuckin bullshit. I don't care if she ends up as the stronger character but her power level as protagonist jumping over your lead antagonist makes 0 sense. Have the earth split, they're seperated and Chewie in the falcon shows up and blasts Ren.
Not really. He got his ass beat by a Storm Trooper with a tonfa. She at least knew how to use a quarterstaff a little. Either way Ren got fucked up with the Bowcaster by Chewie right before the fight which they stressed pretty hard was the only reason they weren't gibbed with the pausing to... pound his side and walk it off? over and over.

Two complaints stand out. Neither of them should have been holding their own with no experience, poorly trained Ren or not he should have just choked the shit out of Finn. Then the stormtrooper who really didn't have time to run that far and be dead right as they started leaving the troop ships at the start. It was just very obvious he couldn't both be dead where he was laying and have come from one of the troop ships. Know there were some other things but those are the only ones that really stood out other than the mm what ya say ending.

Jive Turkey

Karen
You know, thank god some of you are filling us in, not only on how you feel, but on how your wives feel too. It's like that extra degree of separation really has me giving a shit what your wives think.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You know, thank god some of you are filling us in, not only on how you feel, but on how your wives feel too. It's like that extra degree of separation really has me giving a shit what your wives think.
And how does that make your wife feel?

Cybsled

Is this a weird American thing? If someone started cheering in the cinema here they'd either have the entire crowd deathglaring them or be kicked out. Why would you cheer at a movie? It can't hear you :/
Depends on the audience TBH, but it is common for people to cheer certain parts of films if the film is really engrossing, like a big payoff (ie, major asshole no one likes dies).

Loud laughter always happens, though, if it is really funny. My theater bust out laughing hard at the part where Finn and BB8 do the thumbs up after BB8 goes along with Finn's lie ;P

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought this was a pretty quality Star Wars film, but not spectacular overall.

Obviously the dumbest thing about this movie was all of the convenience. Randomly stumble upon important characters at opportune times, be saved by chance natural occurrences etc. Give me a break.

And the final fight scene was pretty unbelievable, even if Ren was wounded. You cant have this guy be a badass throughout the whole film and then be bested by a "desert scavenger" who isnt even an apprentice. Yea I get it she was awoken by the Force, and was destined for greatness, but if you use the force in that context just for the purpose of plot expediency it actually dilutes the force. It makes it be a trivial trope that just trumps everything. Oh, you trained your entire life to be one of the best fighters in the galaxy, was mentored by the greatest Jedi that ever lived, and been through many experiences that contributed to your fortitude in regards to tapping into the darkside? DOESNT MATTER LOL THE FORCE HAS AWOKEN.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Mace Windu was considered the best swordsmen in the Jedi Council, better than Master Yoda, although his mastery of the force wasn't as strong.
I read Shatterpoint when it came out. Basically Windu was master of a specific form of lightsaber combat that he created. It was considered very aggressive and tiptoed the line between Dark and Light.

Without knowing how they plan on handling Jedi in general outside of Luke's failed attempt at training new recruits it's likely that there's no one left in the Galaxy capable of teaching true lightsaber combat. Literally a lost art form. At that point it's pretty much the same as people wielding a vibrosword, which is still a thing where power cells aren't easy to access. The use of a lightsaber was ultimately a sign of further mastery in the use of the Force. That's why the creation of one was always a big deal. They even touch on this a little bit in Rebels.

I hope they have something good planned for 8 & 9. JJ has said they handed Rian a bunch of material to work with but I think outside of a relative endpoint they left the journey up to him.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
One thing people need to remember, which is firmly rooted in the OT, is that emotions have an enormous impact on a person's ability to channel the Force. Particularly where the dark side is concerned. The movie invested a significant amount of time in establishing the emotional conflict going on within Ren. He kills Han in an attempt to finally squash what sentiment remains inside of him ...

... but it doesn't work. So in the fight with Finn and Rey he's an even bigger mess of conflicting emotions than he usually is along with an even healthier dose of doubt as to his ability to follow in Vader's footsteps. All of this is compromising his abilities, which is why he keeps punching his own wound to well up anger inside of himself and return him to focus.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They divided the archetypes up between the various characters in a different way than the original trilogy but still covering all the bases.

Poe Dameron = Cocky self-sure pilot / scoundrel. Note that in the opening crawl it says he is the most daring pilot in the Resistance. He takes on the fighter pilot role (Luke) which is necessary because it just aint Star Wars without cool space fighter combat scenes and you need to have one of the core characters involved in that conflict. He also takes on part of the Han Solo rogue archetype with his witty banter with both Finn and especially Kylo Ren: "How do we do this, do I go first, do you go first?" Given that he is completely absent in Act 2 it seems like if they couldn't get Harrison Ford to come back or if he wasn't willing to do extensive scenes then Poe would have taken on most of the Han stuff from Act 2. Hell Han even has BB-8 following after him for most of the second act! He is also an established member of the Resistance and thus takes over the Leia role in terms of giving the core heroes a solid connection to the 'good guys'. I am almost loathe to mention this, but if there is a gay character in the new trilogy...its Poe.

Finn = Fish out of water / comedy relief / scoundrel Finn takes on the Luke role in terms of being a fish out of water. As a person who was raised from infancy to be a Stormtrooper in the First Order he doesn't really understand the bigger world outside and is, to a degree, flummoxed by it. He also takes on some of the C3PO comedy elements of being oblivious to what is going on and falling into terrible situations. He takes on the Lando scoundrel role, not because he's black but because he is nominally on the wrong side when we first meet him but quickly moves over to the hero category but is very willing to bluff his way around things like all the scoundrels do. His inside knowledge of the First Order represents something new that was not found in the Original Trilogy and a role that the Expanded Universe filled with Mara Jade.

Rey = She is our hero. She is clearly the new Chosen One and meant for ass kicking (which she does quite a bit of). She's the feisty Leia who does not take shit from anyone "Get this walking carpet out of my way" / "Stop holding my hand!" She even gets trapped on the Imperial Base...only this Princess rescues herself long before the rest of the heroes get there. She also has that Luke-like farmboy who grew up on a desert planet and thus has awe when seeing a verdant world. A lot is riding on her and the wakening of her power so she is clearly part of the Skywalker lineage. Remember that alternate universe game / comic stuff where Luke dies and Leia becomes a badass Jedi? That is Rey, an amalgam of both the original twins.

Kylo = Darth Millennial. Take all the negative whining of Episode 2 and 3 Anakin and merge that with original trilogy Vader and you have Kylo Ren. In many respects he is the most shallow of the new characters but his internal torture seems more believable that anything Anakin went through. Ultimately I think Kylo will be a more fully fleshed out version of the fall of Anakin / Rise of Vader in contrast to the "I woke up this morning and my wife is preggers so I need to slaughter everyone" version from the prequels. After the events of Episode VII he is a hot mess and ready to be molded by Supreme Leader Oz

As far as all the coincidences that take place, that is the Force at work. Kylo Ren represents the audience in this aspect because he knows everything that happened in the original trilogy from his family and so when a girl is seen helping BB-8 he KNOWS it is the girl he spared when he turned to the dark side and thus the weakness of the light within him has set things in motion. When he hears that they have managed to hook up with the Millennium Falcon and Han Solo he knows he is rapidly heading to doom. There is no such thing as coincidence in the Star Wars universe, its all the Force and he knows that generally the Force fucks up people on the dark side of things. His confrontation on the bridge is his attempt to break the cycle and show that he is not just a puppet to the whims of fate, only to have that fall flat as he promptly gets his ass kicked even though he took the necessary step to fully embrace his dark side. His loss to Rey combined with the knowledge that he was the one who spared her all those years ago and then managed to be the one to awaken the latent / obscured Force within hier is going to eat away at him something big.