Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Did all you hipsters picking this one apart even enjoy the originals back in the day? Its fucking Star Wars, not some hard science Hamlet. As a Star Wars movie, it hit all the marks, without taking a giant shit on the franchise in the way the prequels did. Its not going to be in my top movie list, but I enjoyed it for what it was. No one is saying its the best movie of all time, just that it is a great Star Wars movie.

Couple other points:
The SW movies are heavily inspired by the late 50s samurai movies Lucas ripped off for ANH, so my impression of the Kylo/Finn battle was that Kylo (who was wrestling with moral choices himself and recognized that in Finn) basically was giving him a respectable fight, samurai style, even though both knew the outcome was a forgone conclusion. Sort of as a sign of respect for his conviction and what not. Ren didn't really turn on the juice until he went up against Rey.

As for Rey, my gut feeling is that she is actually more powerful than him and was locked away to prevent another Vader type person from arising. When she realized she had the power, she was able to crush Ren with the Force, both in the mind rape scene and later during the Sabre fight. My guess is she is Luke's kid, since like him she can't do shit with the force when flustered but becomes godmode when she calms down. I could be wrong though. I also think there is a pretty good chance Finn might be force sensitive, since he was able to use a sabre without lopping his arms off (Grievous was force sensitive, according to the cannon) and had the sort of insane luck that force sensitive types tend to have in these movies. I actually liked Finn the best in the movie, as he seemed to be the one character (other than maybe Han) who had a full character arc.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You guys are going to be pissed when you find out Tie Fighters don't make noise in space either.
Yeah or the myriad of other massive mistakes from ep 4,5,6.

The real problem is that our entitled generations aren't half as smart as they think they are, and their memories suck. Original films were Harry Potter in Space, cited for wooden acting, poor Sci-Fi, unoriginal villain, derivative stories, etc... but they were still positively reviewed as fun family films during the Cold War. Adults were fairly "meh" on the movies, the kids are what made it a huge, huge success. Star Wars wasn't winning any awards for stories or acting in the 70's or 80's either, yet here we are today with this weird ass complaints just to well....complain. It almost proves Lucas right.

Film was great. Just behind Empire because you aren't going to beat Empire yet.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I
And the final fight scene was pretty unbelievable, even if Ren was wounded. You cant have this guy be a badass throughout the whole film and then be bested by a "desert scavenger" who isnt even an apprentice..
I thought the film pretty clearly showed that Kylo Ren thought alot more of himself than anyone else did and he was not at all the badass he tried to be. It was kind of one of the main points/twists of his character; that he WANTED to be like Vader (and the viewer expects him to be that way) but he was really a pissant tantrum-throwing apprentice who was being humored by his betters and who ended up getting his ass kicked by someone stronger in the Force than himself. I am guessing the only reason Snoke tells Hux to pull his ass off Starkiller Base is to use him to get Rey, as Han hinted at.

The series is definitely going to be about his journey just as much as Rey's.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I want to shoot anyone who says "cannon" instead of "canon" out of a "cannon." I'm gonna need a lot of gunpowder though, because there's quite a few of you.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Almost why bother destroying planets if you can consume their sun. Why not just do that and their planet would be flung into cold dark space. I mean, I get it they have spaceships and you want to kill them. But still. Consuming a sun is like, holy shit power level.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah even when i was a kid i knew that the death star was a piece of fucking cardboard with silver paint. I'm 31 years old and saw starwars for the first time when i was 6 - 8 "Prime super awesome rose colored glasses imprint mode" and I don't think of the first 3 movies as the messiah.

You faggots droning on about pacing, jesus you geriatric fucks you can't handle 2 hours of excitement. The fuck do you want a 10 minute dialogue on how the force works? Last i heard you hated the midichlorian explanation that was a nice slow languid shut the fuck up pace you're looking for?

Bad guy isn't super ++ awesome pure evil cooking children over a fire in every scene? Oh no, he actually has an interesting backstory, and real emotions. God what an emo fagget. Never mind the fact that after 5 minutes of screen time with luke after he cut off his fucking hand Vader's all like " I LUV U SON!!!11 brb betraying everything i've ever done for the last 20 years for LOVE".

Oh and we're still going to be butt mad about Rey having powers and oh "shes a mor poerful jediz in liek 20 seconds wtf so unrealistic". Despite the fucking fact the movie holds your goddamn hand and shows you that she trained with the force with luke on the island. She can't beat the bad guy in a force pull off despite the fact dude just got shot by a blaster and was losing focus like crazy. " nope can't hear you lalalala nothing can ever be better than the 1st trilogy lalalalalalala "

Please do us all a favor and be content that after your professional film critique that you're considering putting this movie on par with TPM and don't watch anything else that has a starwars label. Its just clear that it will never be worthwhile to watch anything starwars other than the first 3. Never take your rose colored glasses off.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Mebbe because you need to be in their solar system to consume their sun? And they might have pew pew lasers on their little plains and stuff. Use the Force, Cad.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I would imagine they would have to release the power or the planet ends up with a sun inside it. Easier to shoot a planet from apparently far far away than move your deathstarV3.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
As an astronomer I laughed out loud when they doubled-down on the "kessel run in 12 parsecs" bit from the original Star Wars by mentioning it again there "I heard he made the kessel run in 14 parsecs" "14? It was 12!"

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As an astronomer I laughed out loud when they doubled-down on the "kessel run in 12 parsecs" bit from the original Star Wars by mentioning it again there "I heard he made the kessel run in 14 parsecs" "14? It was 12!"
That was a definite JJ wink at the audience moment there. I chuckled.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Saw it Friday night. Been quiet trying to catch up on the opinions of those here. No one cares, but here are my thoughts.

Loved the movie. Obviously there are a few issues, but man it blew the prequels out of the water. We knew Ford wasn't going to do another trilogy so I
his send off was fitting. New characters are fantastic. People keep trying to label the new characters as 'new Han' or 'new Luke,' but aside from some instances, they are their own. I feel like Poe is going to awaken the Force due to his crazy skills. Disappointed by Phasma. Was hoping for an Inquisitor level baddie from her.

Until it's officially debunked, I'm going with Rey as Luke's daughter. There was some talk about the new music and themes, and there are a lot of the same intervals used in Rey's theme and Luke's theme.

We also have to remember who this movie is made for. They had to make a movie that would appeal to us adults who grew up on the Originals, but at the same time bring in 5-20 year olds. My niece is 19 and grew up on the prequels with her brothers, and she is going apeshit over Rey. My son is 5 and he wants to be a Jedi, but his wants his 3 year old sister to be Yoda or Princess Leia. I keep telling him there can be girl Jedi. While we have Clone Wars and Rebels, it's not the same audience as the movies.

I fully expect the First Order to become more fleshed out in Ep.8. There will be an assault on the Resistance base with a full armada of FO ship and Leia will die to protect everyone. Rey will be with Luke in the middle of her training. The reveal will be who Rey's mother is. (Obi-Wan's daughter or grand daughter).

Going to see it again this weekend with my Son. He's getting the Lego Falcon from Santa, so he should be jacked for the desert escape scene. Going to be listening to music more closely to see if they will become earworms like the original score.

Ep.4 - 9/10
Ep.5 - 9.5
Ep.6 - 8.5
Ep.1 - 4.5
Ep.2 - 3.5
Ep.3 - 5
Ep.7 - 9/10

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Rey was born 11 years after Endor, why do people keep thinking she has an Obi-Wan lineage...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
One thing I didn't think much about initially, but looking back on it I really appreciated the fact that almost all of the spaceship/fighter dog fighting was done on planet surfaces, rather up in space. It really added a much needed sense of speed and scale that you just don't get when two ships are fighting it out in the vastness of outer space. The Xwings and Millennium Falcon kicking up water trails, zooming in and out and around various obstacles and buildings, it added a whole extra layer to the action that was mostly missing in the original series and the prequels (other than the Death Star trench runs in the original series)

radditsu

Yeah even when i was a kid i knew that the death star was a piece of fucking cardboard with silver paint. I'm 31 years old and saw starwars for the first time when i was 6 - 8 "Prime super awesome rose colored glasses imprint mode" and I don't think of the first 3 movies as the messiah.

You faggots droning on about pacing, jesus you geriatric fucks you can't handle 2 hours of excitement. The fuck do you want a 10 minute dialogue on how the force works? Last i heard you hated the midichlorian explanation that was a nice slow languid shut the fuck up pace you're looking for?

Bad guy isn't super ++ awesome pure evil cooking children over a fire in every scene? Oh no, he actually has an interesting backstory, and real emotions. God what an emo fagget. Never mind the fact that after 5 minutes of screen time with luke after he cut off his fucking hand Vader's all like " I LUV U SON!!!11 brb betraying everything i've ever done for the last 20 years for LOVE".

Oh and we're still going to be butt mad about Rey having powers and oh "shes a mor poerful jediz in liek 20 seconds wtf so unrealistic". Despite the fucking fact the movie holds your goddamn hand and shows you that she trained with the force with luke on the island. She can't beat the bad guy in a force pull off despite the fact dude just got shot by a blaster and was losing focus like crazy. " nope can't hear you lalalala nothing can ever be better than the 1st trilogy lalalalalalala "

Please do us all a favor and be content that after your professional film critique that you're considering putting this movie on par with TPM and don't watch anything else that has a starwars label. Its just clear that it will never be worthwhile to watch anything starwars other than the first 3. Never take your rose colored glasses off.
I love how most of the video games are setup with the fact that "dude gets really good at force powers really quickly" aka Kyle katarn, Jedi academy dude, Starkiller etc. But Rey getting tolerable in force powers under duress over the course of the movie is "mary sue". Spending 10 years salvaging scrap so she knows how to fix things is "mary sue". Being in a bloodline of fucking incredible pilots is "mary sue" and not "overt plot point"

Plus all the explanations for things have never really been the main movies deal. That's what the books and comic books and cartoons and future TV series are for. Which now that I have seen the movie, I am really on board to see what happens in-between.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I love how most of the video games are setup with the fact that "dude gets really good at force powers really quickly" aka Kyle katarn, Jedi academy dude, Starkiller etc. But Rey getting tolerable in force powers under duress over the course of the movie is "mary sue". Spending 10 years salvaging scrap so she knows how to fix things is "mary sue". Being in a bloodline of fucking incredible pilots is "mary sue" and not "overt plot point"

Plus all the explanations for things have never really been the main movies deal. That's what the books and comic books and cartoons and future TV series are for. Which now that I have seen the movie, I am really on board to see what happens in-between.
I've seen the term Mary Sue thrown around here a lot and have no idea what that's really supposed to mean. TV Tropes says it's derogatory term for someone trying to insert themselves into a fanfic scenario. But Rey is the main character and those are her character traits and explanations for her character traits. How is that "Mary Sue?" It's just her character.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Loved the movie, only quibble is with Kylo being introduced as super power level Dark side badass, then the wut moment when he takes off his helm and throws little tantrums, then the really wut moment when he get's his ass kicked. No way someone with years of training get's his ass kicked like that, injury or not. I'll just tell myself he held back fighting her because he didn't want to kill her for reasons mentioned in the thread.

I'm calling the series will have a long slow redemption arc for Kylo and a long slow corruption arc for Ren and we'll end up with a fight between the two at the end but Kylo will be light and Ren will be dark. Ren's abandonment issues will set her down the path of the dark side.

radditsu

I've seen the term Mary Sue thrown around here a lot and have no idea what that's really supposed to mean. TV Tropes says it's derogatory term for someone trying to insert themselves into a fanfic scenario. But Rey is the main character and those are her character traits and explanations for her character traits. How is that "Mary Sue?" It's just her character.
It basically means that the character can do everything and anything and is the strongest smartest best character and is infallible and blah blah blah. She ain't that. However she COULD go that way, but as of right now she is squarely in the "great protagonist" field for me. ...and a better actor than 1977 Mark Hamil.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah or the myriad of other massive mistakes from ep 4,5,6.

The real problem is that our entitled generations aren't half as smart as they think they are, and their memories suck. Original films were Harry Potter in Space, cited for wooden acting, poor Sci-Fi, unoriginal villain, derivative stories, etc... but they were still positively reviewed as fun family films during the Cold War. Adults were fairly "meh" on the movies, the kids are what made it a huge, huge success. Star Wars wasn't winning any awards for stories or acting in the 70's or 80's either, yet here we are today with this weird ass complaints just to well....complain. It almost proves Lucas right.

Film was great. Just behind Empire because you aren't going to beat Empire yet.
You're so fucking wrong it's unbelievable. The first Star Wars movie was nominated for 11 Academy awards including best picture, best supporting actor, best director, and best screenplay. It also won 6 Academy awards for art direction, sound, film editing, costume design, visual effects, and original score. It was critically acclaimed, and loved by just about everyone who saw it. That's why it made over 400 hundred million dollars way back in 1977 when ticket prices were a fraction of what they are now.