Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Don't know (or care) if its already been posted.

Great article that explains a ton of the stuff going on in the background of the movie:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - what's up with the Republic and the Resistance?
http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/106345...ic-first-order

Its not an exact analogy but basically:

Empire = Second Reich

First Order = Third Reich

New Republic and their political policy = Neville Chamberlain/Western Europe and Appeasement

Leia = Churchill

Using of Star Killer Base = Poland

Resistance = England and France after Poland

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ewan McGregor also reprised his role as Obi-Wan from the prequels during a part with Rey. "These are your first steps" was all Ewan.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Don't know (or care) if its already been posted.

Great article that explains a ton of the stuff going on in the background of the movie:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - what's up with the Republic and the Resistance?
http://www.vox.com/2015/12/21/106345...ic-first-order

Its not an exact analogy but basically:

Empire = Second Reich

First Order = Third Reich

New Republic and their political policy = Neville Chamberlain/Western Europe and Appeasement

Leia = Churchill

Using of Star Killer Base = Poland

Resistance = England and France after Poland
So the Yuuzhan Vong will be the US?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
If the Yuuzhan Vong are never referenced again, I will be just as happy as if midichlorians are never referenced again. Both were absolutely retarded concepts. Thrawn was great, but much outside his works were pretty horrifically bad.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Church member drew this
rrr_img_121014.jpg

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sure you have a point. They cut and pasted part of Alec's voice to get the initial "Rey" in there.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
One change they need to make going forward is to come up with some music to play while the Lucasfilm logo fades in and out on screen, perhaps adding a Disney logo before it to lengthen it out a bit. That dead silent opening is just too damn weird after listening to the 20CF into all these years. Disney has used a lot of different intros over the years and they even have ones specific to individual movies or their subsidiary studios (like Pixar).

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Remember also that Palpatine really did believe that the Republic was bloated and corrupt where only the very rich and very criminal got any traction. The desire to fix that is what led him to crave power and succumb to the Dark. He did have a point in that the system was very corrupt and the Jedi weren't doing much to stop that.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
In the opera scene from Episode III, he spelled things out beautifully, and the funny thing was, he wasn't lying. In his mind, he was doing the right thing.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
the over-analyzed, over-explained, midiclorian infested force in the EU and Ep. 1-3.
I think Disney understands very well the reasons why Ep 1-3 should ignored as much as you can. You don't pretend they never happened, you just ignore them.

Although I could totally understand if Snoke's appearance was revealed as a fake and he's in fact a scar-faced Gungan (we all know who that would be, do we?).
No, all I see is your misunderstanding of facts.
Guess what? JJA explicitely said that he wanted to go back to mystical stuff rather than pseudo-scientific gabble. It's not us interpreting the movie, it's the movie makers saying it.
As usual, it's a line George wrote because he thought it sounded cool without giving a second thought to what it actually meant.
This was the usual George Lucas modus operandi. It's not as if he was some awesome director/writer with perfect vision. Vader was originally written as a throw-away villain, the opponent for the movie. But he ended up stealing so much of the show, they simply rewrote that last scene were Han Solo basically shoots him out of the sky ignominiously and had him fly away from the Battle for Death Star.

Then, they merged the background figure of Annakin Skywalker, ace pilot and friend of Obi-Wan Kenobi with Vader, apprentice Jedi that betrayed the Republic and made the Darth we know.

And so on. They always made do, retrofit background references into meaningful ones. Most of the time, it worked. Specially when it wasn't George doing the retrofit.
Yeah reading the visual dictionary/novelization helps to fill in a lot of the issues I had with the movie.
Which is why the movie is not as good as some people want it to be. If you have to explain stuff in another medium, you've failed somewhat.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The more i watch ESB and ROTJ, ths more i think lucas had nothing to do with the overall story about jedi and the Force.
ALL people have a dark side but some of them, still manage not to succumb to it. It's not about having more light side than dark side people, it's in fact all about not thinking that aggression is the best weapon to have when you have the Force in you.

Yoda: Yes, run! Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side.Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight.If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

If you remember well, Luke won over his father because he attacked him with hate but realized that should be not the path to follow,after seeing his father's hand cut and his robotic hand. The anger and aggression win fights most of the time and if you think that is the only way, really is seductive, like Yoda said.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
The more i watch ESB and ROTJ, ths more i think lucas had nothing to do with the overall story about jedi and the Force.
Have you not seen the numerous videos of him talking about the Force and the philosophy about the Jedi? It seems some of you are so butthurt by the prequels, you want to strip this guy of every good thing he's done. TFA is the ONLY Star Wars movie not to expand on or increase the audiences knowledge of the Force, and that is directly because Lucas was not involved other than them following his ideas that this should revolve around Anakin's grandchildren. They instead just had Maz rehash what Yoda said because they don't know what the fuck to do, and don't want to screw it up. It's just Eastern mysticism, with heavy ties to Buddhism, after all. Shit's not that hard to figure out.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
TFA is the ONLY Star Wars movie not to expand on or increase the audiences knowledge of the Force, and that is directly because Lucas was not involved other than them following his ideas that this should revolve around Anakin's grandchildren.
For the strictly movie going audience that's not quite true. TFA has the first depiction of a force artifact. The previous movies had never shown an object with a link to the force so a person wouldn't have known it was even possible without going into some of the expanded materials or games.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The difference between The Force Awakens and the originals: this movie lacks soul, heart and a story.

Just remember when you first saw the original movies, they where full of wonder. Even if you didn't know what was going on exactly, you got a good sense it was a story about good and evil.
There were interesting characters, like Obiwan teaching knightly values of becoming a jedi. The temptation of the dark side. The evil dark knight Lord Vader. The princess who must be saved.
The boy Luke who wants to follow his dreams. The master Yoda who appears weak and old, but teaches the boy how to become a hero. The mysterious force constantly evolving in a resemblence of faith worthy of aspiring towards.
Mixed in with space pirates and beautifully delivered space ship battles. It's like a classic tale about knights with space magic and it was exciting and fantastic.

Now this thing lives off the nostaliga without bringing anything new to the table. There is no story told, no sense of wonder or excitement, only action.
At no point i felt challenged by the rehashed story or got the chance to get emotionally attached to any characters or events. I would even go as far and call the animated kids clone wars series had a better story then this.

For me, The Force Awakens was nothing more then 2 hours of silly but pretty action in the star wars universe. 5/10

Jive Turkey

Karen
Have you not seen the numerous videos of him talking about the Force and the philosophy about the Jedi? It seems some of you are so butthurt by the prequels, you want to strip this guy of every good thing he's done. TFA is the ONLY Star Wars movie not to expand on or increase the audiences knowledge of the Force, and that is directly because Lucas was not involved other than them following his ideas that this should revolve around Anakin's grandchildren. They instead just had Maz rehash what Yoda said because they don't know what the fuck to do, and don't want to screw it up. It's just Eastern mysticism, with heavy ties to Buddhism, after all. Shit's not that hard to figure out.
And you're so protective and self conscious about the prequels that you're looking for any opportunity to bash a clearly superior film (but lets be honest, you were always going to bash this film unless it was unpopular).

Yes, lets keep expanding the knowledge of the Force. Everybody loved what Georgie did with the Force in the prequels

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The difference between The Force Awakens and the originals: this movie lacks soul, heart and a story.

Just remember when you first saw the original movies, they where full of wonder. Even if you didn't know what was going on exactly, you got a good sense it was a story about good and evil.
There were interesting characters, like Obiwan teaching knightly values of becoming a jedi. The temptation of the dark side. The evil dark knight Lord Vader. The princess who must be saved.
The boy Luke who wants to follow his dreams. The master Yoda who appears weak and old, but teaches the boy how to become a hero. The mysterious force constantly evolving in a resemblence of faith worthy of aspiring towards.
Mixed in with space pirates and beautifully delivered space ship battles. It's like a classic tale about knights with space magic and it was exciting and fantastic.

Now this thing lives off the nostaliga without bringing anything new to the table. There is no story told, no sense of wonder or excitement, only action.
At no point i felt challenged by the rehashed story or got the chance to get emotionally attached to any characters or events. I would even go as far and call the animated kids clone wars series had a better story then this.

For me, The Force Awakens was nothing more then 2 hours of silly but pretty action in the star wars universe. 5/10
This is absolutely nothing but rose colored glasses. You might as well substitute "originals" for Everquest and "TFA" with WoW. Which makes the prequels Vanguard.