Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
As a kid I loved the setting, costumes, speeder bikes, etc from Endor. I even liked the idea of 3p0 being worshipped by the ewoks. As I've grown up I realize that the actual story of Endor is pretty mediocre and the ewoks aren't great. But they aren't on the same levels as the gungans.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a kid I loved the setting, costumes, speeder bikes, etc from Endor. I even liked the idea of 3p0 being worshipped by the ewoks. As I've grown up I realize that the actual story of Endor is pretty mediocre and the ewoks aren't great. But they aren't on the same levels as the gungans.
Same here. As much hate as the Ewoks get online, they were not universally hated even by adults at the time. Chicks/moms/kids loved them when the movie came out. In retrospect sure its a cheesy marketing grab. But they were never met with nearly the scorn that Jar-Jar was.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I would go so far as to say Jar Jar ruined the gungans. If he were not incompetent and just an R2D2 replacement they would have just been <insert random native race here>.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have recently watched episode 1, Jar Jar is the worst out of them but even without him they are fucking stupid. They ruin the movie just by themselves, everything else is just icing on the shitty, shitty cake.

thefaceless

Golden Squire
I don't get how this movie is getting a 94+% on rottentomatoes. All the plot of this movie is a re-write of something in the first 3 movies. There's a Luke/Han Solo clone, but with a twist, it's a chick! There's a new bad guy that is exactly the same as Darth Vader, but with a twist, it's Leai/Solo's son! Somehow they can't read data from a robot that won't power on (must have been an ancient apple product) until... magic, it powers on, what a twist! A new mega Deathstar that is just as cheesy and easy to blow up as the original. Luke is the new Yoda. Yada yada yada, I'd give it a 3/5.

It's exactly like Avatar I guess, dumb enough plot the masses can follow, with just enough of a cool factor and huge budget = best movie ever!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
RT is positive/negative reviews. So 94% of reviews give it 50%+. Not that hard to imagine even if 'unoriginal'.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched 4-6 over the weekend. ANH and ROTJ don't hold up at all. ESB is still really good though. ANH has huge pacing problems for over half the movie as it is just incredibly slow. Also, if it came out today, this board would rip apart the ridiculousness of adventuring around the Death Star with no problems and the fact the Death Star evidently only has 5 Tie Fighters on the entire base in the end. ROTJ is just silly and ridiculous. The whole rescue Han sequence is hilarious. That was their rescue plan? Also, Luke is just swinging wildly with the lightsaber and people are just falling down dead with no damage, looks really bad. Ewoks are just cheesy and the fact they take down the Emperor's "best men" with rocks and sticks is stupid. Plus, Vader's redemption is not set up at all, it just kinda happens. They are still good movies and really fun but only ESB would survive the level of scrutiny being given to TFA.

It is ESB >= TFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> ROTJ > ANH, imo.

Also, it was pretty funny watching Darth Vader force choke any and everybody that gave him bad news throughout the three movies after this board flipped shit about Kylo raging twice.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Plus, Vader's redemption is not set up at all, it just kinda happens.
Eh, I thought they did a pretty fair job over the course of ESB and RotJ establishing that part of him still cared for Luke but he was too fucked up and far down his dark side path. Luke even tells Leia he can feel the good in him before he goes off for the confrontation.

I think the redemption arc would get ripped apart by nerds today itself. Super extreme face of evil in the entire universe saved by the power of love...give me a break man!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I don't get how this movie is getting a 94+% on rottentomatoes. All the plot of this movie is a re-write of something in the first 3 movies. There's a Luke/Han Solo clone, but with a twist, it's a chick! There's a new bad guy that is exactly the same as Darth Vader, but with a twist, it's Leai/Solo's son! Somehow they can't read data from a robot that won't power on (must have been an ancient apple product) until... magic, it powers on, what a twist! A new mega Deathstar that is just as cheesy and easy to blow up as the original. Luke is the new Yoda. Yada yada yada, I'd give it a 3/5.

It's exactly like Avatar I guess, dumb enough plot the masses can follow, with just enough of a cool factor and huge budget = best movie ever!
Careful, statements like this are likely to elicit nerd tears and angry virgins calling you a troll.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea thats one of the big problems with todays social media complex. Movies get ripped apart, down to the molecule. The original Star Wars movies are great, everyone who is a fan understands this. But TFA is a success no matter how you look at it, originals or not.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Also, it was pretty funny watching Darth Vader force choke any and everybody that gave him bad news throughout the three movies after this board flipped shit about Kylo raging twice.
Vader was pretty snarky about it few times too. "Apology accepted, Captain Neeta."

Vader is just a superior badass on multiple levels. He bags a fucking queen that's like 10 years older than him and knocks her up without the entire Jedi order and the imperial senate figuring out who crushed that Royal ass without anyone noticing. Padme is basically like one of those awesome high school teachers that let the track team run trains on them. If she lived in a galaxy a little closer and a little sooner, she could've been a former Baltimore Ravens cheerleader.

Actually, that's prolly something to look out for in Rogue One: look for a force sensitive hottie that's about 19-24 years old so that she would be about 10 years older than Luke at the start of ANH.

If Luke carries on the Skywalker tradition of marrying their staturory rapists, then we'd have a candidate for Rey's mom.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I saw it with three generations of family yesterday. I remember standing in a line around the block for Star Wars IV. Now my parents are watching it with my kids. The fact that it appeals to three generations is pretty impressive.
the real winners here were the fellow theater patrons who got to hear insightful commentary from three generations of black folk.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I watched 4-6 over the weekend. ANH and ROTJ don't hold up at all. ESB is still really good though. ANH has huge pacing problems for over half the movie as it is just incredibly slow. Also, if it came out today, this board would rip apart the ridiculousness of adventuring around the Death Star with no problems and the fact the Death Star evidently only has 5 Tie Fighters on the entire base in the end. ROTJ is just silly and ridiculous. The whole rescue Han sequence is hilarious. That was their rescue plan? Also, Luke is just swinging wildly with the lightsaber and people are just falling down dead with no damage, looks really bad. Ewoks are just cheesy and the fact they take down the Emperor's "best men" with rocks and sticks is stupid. Plus, Vader's redemption is not set up at all, it just kinda happens. They are still good movies and really fun but only ESB would survive the level of scrutiny being given to TFA.

It is ESB >= TFA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> ROTJ > ANH, imo.

Yeah just in ESB alone he runs through like 5 admirals. That was hilarious.