Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's certainly possible though we just don't know. We don't even know if Yoda still had his lightsaber while hiding out on Dagobah for that matter, we simply never saw him use it.
That was the purpose of the character, to show how important is the Force and how to use it.
It's NOT to "take out his little laser sword and go to town", by flipping around like a methed up goblin.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I thought Yoda fighting with the sabre was cool
frown.png

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
lol.

I dont think the acrobatics were cool but I dont have a problem with Yoda using a lightsaber to defend himself against an equally powerful force user who decides to whip one out.

I think everyone can agree that lightsabers are pretty much the icon of the star wars universe in certain ways and the greatest Jedi of all time having one isnt so preposterous.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
As far as my memory goes, we saw Yoda's saber fall to the bottom of the senate and he never gets it back before escaping, so I believe it was lost at that moment. Then again, Yoda even using a saber was always a bad decision to me, he should have been only badass powers.
Ahh. I haven't seen RotS since it came out in the theater and didn't recall him loosing it.

And yes, bad that decision was.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For people, who still don't understand what Star Wars is about:

I get it. His use of the force makes using a melee energy weapon moot. Still doesn't change the fact that he could conceivably have one? And perhaps utilize it on rare occasions?

Edit: and yea Sidious knocks yodas lightsaber away with force lightning before being repelled. It fell into the depths of the senate chamber. Someone needs to find yoda and windus lightsaber like kanata magically found lukes.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Someone needs to find yoda and windus lightsaber like kanata magically found lukes.
We have no reason to think the way she came to own it was magical or otherwise implausible. As much as we might wonder how that happened, it's one of those sorts of questions that often come up in movies that we don't actually have to know the answer to in order for the story to progress. It's not so far out in left field that is has to be explained in order to suspend disbelief. She's run a galactic crossroads watering hole for a millennium and has probably gotten to know people of every sort and stripe in that time. Other than the lightsaber still being at Bespin that's the exact sort of place you could most expect to find something like that.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I get it. His use of the force makes using a melee energy weapon moot. Still doesn't change the fact that he could conceivably have one? And perhaps utilize it on rare occasions?

Edit: and yea Sidious knocks yodas lightsaber away with force lightning before being repelled. It fell into the depths of the senate chamber. Someone needs to find yoda and windus lightsaber like kanata magically found lukes.
The senate chamber. This was what made the prequels so fucking awful. Was like CNN had a baby with the Syfy channel.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Re: Luke's green saber, he throws it away after he beats Vader in RotJ, and I just assumed it flew down the same shaft the Emp goes for a ride down (he's on like a small bridge between two of those huge shafts, how could it not?). You never see him retrieve it, so unless he's wearing it on his way out of the Death Star with Vader's corpse, or at the Ewok festival finale, I'd say it's gone too.

-edit- In trying to remember the exact scene, I am reminded of the thirty or so times Lucas focused the camera on runaway lightsabers in the prequels. Lol!

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Re: Luke's green saber, he throws it away after he beats Vader in RotJ, and I just assumed it flew down the same shaft the Emp goes for a ride down (he's on like a small bridge between two of those huge shafts, how could it not?). You never see him retrieve it, so unless he's wearing it on his way out of the Death Star with Vader's corpse, or at the Ewok festival finale, I'd say it's gone too.
You never saw if Luke retrieved it or not. So now, the people who are in front of the next 2 episodes can say whatever they want.

Chris

Potato del Grande

-edit- In trying to remember the exact scene, I am reminded of the thirty or so times Lucas focused the camera on runaway lightsabers in the prequels. Lol!
Does it matter? He can just make a new one like he did after he lost the blue one. Is there some EU shit that means that he needs the right fucking rare crystal or something and he did that in a novel?

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Just got back from seeing it. I did a good job of not spoiling it for myself. This is the first time I've ever opened this thread and I avoided all pre-release discussion and speculation. All I ever saw was the first trailer that showed Han and Chewie, the lightsaber with the goofy hilt, and a black storm trooper. That's all I knew going in.

So my first impression is that this movie is leaps and bounds better than the prequels and Star Wars is officially saved.

I loved the characters of Fin and Rae (sp?) They are both 'waking up' as it were. Both characters are self-realizing themselves, together. I honestly think the idea of a Storm Trooper 'waking up' is a great idea and I feel like entire seriesessseses of stories could be gotten out of the Fin character alone. The actor did a great job. Rae was also done very well and the idea of a self-actuating Jedi is definitely a cool one. Especially one that goes toe to toe with the bad guy like that.

The bad guy Ren was well done but I did find him a bit lacking. The actor did well but I feel like he could have been given a bit more to work with from the writers. Still, he was cool and I actually really liked his voice. Much more sinister than Vader or even Bane imo. It's the tinny realistic sound that makes it somehow more harrowing and real.

Han and Lea had some cheesy lines but nothing even approaching the shit-show that was Padme and Anakin.

Lots of other stuff to think about. I am sure to go see it again. I liked how they used a lot of relatively unknown actors. At no point did I have the sense that an actor was just 'there' because he or she was some A-Lister. All in all, I liked it very much and I am quite happy with our new heroes.

Now to go back and read some of this thread to see how wrong I'm sure I am, and how much all you nerds probably hated it.
smile.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I wonder who Rey's parents are. I don't think she's Ren's brother, as that would be super boring and predictable.

I'm leaning towards her being a clone of either Luke or Anakin Skywalker. Probably Luke. That blue lightsabre was recovered, so it stands to reason that Luke's hand was too. Perhaps this is the focus of the Boba Fett standalone film's story. Maz said, 'that's a story for another time' regarding how the sabre came into her possession in TFA.

It'd be way cooler if she was Vader's clone, especially if Luke knows. Training his own father's clone, fighting her weakness to the dark side, Kylo's jealousy of her being closer to Vader than he could ever be.... Would make for a very high drama arc.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Does it matter? He can just make a new one like he did after he lost the blue one. Is there some EU shit that means that he needs the right fucking rare crystal or something and he did that in a novel?
Not to me, I just saw people discussing the two sabers and some had said he still had the green saber from RotJ, figured I'd comment. Note that I don't say whether I know if he's wearing it or not in the two scenes I mention. Wipe away that froth and calm down, buddy.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I feel like none of you fuckers ever watch these movies. He clearly has it after the Death Star, Watch the ending:

rrr_img_121939.jpg

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yes... and then he dropped it at the sky city and made a green one. Well, I guess it's possible that maz kanata found it somehow from there, but why not the green one he made for himself?
Dude are you fucking retarded. The lightsaber she finds is the one he loses in ESB not the Green one he builds in ROTJ. Did you even watch the originals? The green one he still has at the end of ROTJ.

It needs to be the blue one because that is part of the story, that it used to belong to Anakin which is why Kylo wants it.