Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I don't think they're gonna undo Vader's redemption like that. It would also make Luke's victory pretty hollow in an overly obvious way.
The SW writers were watching the finale of How I Met Your Mother in the background while writing the script I heard.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It would be nice to see Snoke and by extension Kylo Ren be something other than Sith. The Nightsisters of Dathomir, by virtue of inclusion in the Clone Wars series, are canonical users of the force who are not Sith, so there is precedent. From the time of the first teaser I had always assumed this was about the dawning of a new age that wasn't specifically Sith / Jedi but rather Dark / Light lacking the strict dogma of either entity that came before.
Snoke made some offhanded comment about Kylo being a knight of Ren so presumably they already are doing something different. This may just be headcannon but I always figured that Jedi/Sith were just 2 different Force schools/religions/cults - the Jedi just happened to be huge and invested in major politics of the area (much like Christians), whereas the Sith were more of a direct antagonist to them. Based on what we've seen and know of the force, it seems preposterous to say that force users are either Jedi or Sith, or even share the same values or tenants.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How I Met Your Mother... Star Wars. Great, now all I can think about is NPH in a sith mask voice commanding the stormtrooper in his apartment.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That reminds me. Did anyone else catch that one of the rank and file stormtroopers was a chick? It was the one Ren was talking to when he said something about Rey having just discovered her powers.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They should have gotten Bill Nighy instead of Andy Serkis for Snoke. Nighy has experience with motion capture...
Honestly that's like saying you should have got a 5 year old to paint the Mona Lisa, not Da vinci.

There is not a single actor on Earth who can sit in the same room with Serkis when it comes to motion capture, and I thought he was great. I love Nighy, but you'd be getting him for his looks whereas Serkis has taken CGI to a new level, it's his makeup.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Snoke made some offhanded comment about Kylo being a knight of Ren so presumably they already are doing something different. This may just be headcannon but I always figured that Jedi/Sith were just 2 different Force schools/religions/cults - the Jedi just happened to be huge and invested in major politics of the area (much like Christians), whereas the Sith were more of a direct antagonist to them. Based on what we've seen and know of the force, it seems preposterous to say that force users are either Jedi or Sith, or even share the same values or tenants.
Rule of two was a big thing. However in EU the "two" always were training people to replace the leader when the subordinate overthrew him, or used them as pawns with the promise of elevation. You do not have to be a "sith" to be a dark jedi. The rebels cartoon (canon apparently) has a ton of dark side users. Just like the light side, it always finds a way.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You're all missing the obvious, Maz Kanata is Darth Plagueis. She has lived thousands of years, and is force sensitive.

And so many things are set in motion at her place.

Rey awakens.

Han sees Kylo, and then Leia which leads to him confronting Kylo on the bridge and to his death.

Maz gives Finn the lightsaber, who ends up in Rey's hand...and to the defeat of Kylo.

Kylo killing Han and being defeated by Rey leads to the announcement that his training needs to be completed...like those were events that Snokes was waiting for to do so.

Rey finds Luke...offers him his old Lightsaber. That will bring Luke out of hiding which is the entire point of the movie.

Like Palpatine before, she works in the shadows through lackeys to advance her own plans while pretending to be on the side of the heroes.

It's so obvious. ;D

Seriously though, I'm not sure who Maz is, but she is far more than she seems to be...too many events are set in motions at her place to just be a coincidence.
I really do think that Maz and Snoke are brother and sister.

I think Snoke is about Maz's size and is simply projected larger as a hologram. I think you may have a Yoda vs Palp moment except it will be Luke and Maz vs Snoke with Snoke proving to be the superior. Rey convinces Kylo (Ben) to come to the light and then the two of them destroy Snoke.

I'm also curious if Snoke has different forms? It's not unusual to have changers and such and i'm curious if Snoke is a front for something more menacing. That could open the door for Plagueis, Palpatine, and a number of other characters. I think Snoke kills Leia at the end of the next or Snoke commands Kylo to do it and he begins to hesitate but eventually kills her. If this is the case, Snoke I believe will find that Kylo is just too torn to go full Dark Side and takes matters into his own hands or begins to recruit someone else... maybe Rey.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Snoke is obviously Ron Howard's brother, allowing JJ to set up a Star Wars/Star Trek crossover in his bid to become master of all things.

hair-today-e1374282552916.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That reminds me. Did anyone else catch that one of the rank and file stormtroopers was a chick? It was the one Ren was talking to when he said something about Rey having just discovered her powers.
They have girl stormies in the new books too. Plus, there's the whole captain phasma thing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, so I just now got a chance to finally see this, and I don't get all the nerdgasming. This movie was somewhere between mediocre and ok. I enjoyed it well enough in the theater, but on the drive home I realized it was basically the exact same formula as the Star Trek reboot. Special effects and nostalgic throwbacks to the original with absolutely no actual substance. I just hope to god Episode 8 doesn't copy Into Darkness.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Ok, so I just now got a chance to finally see this, and I don't get all the nerdgasming. This movie was somewhere between mediocre and ok. I enjoyed it well enough in the theater, but on the drive home I realized it was basically the exact same formula as the Star Trek reboot. Special effects and nostalgic throwbacks to the original with absolutely no actual substance. I just hope to god Episode 8 doesn't copy Into Darkness.
I still don't get this comparison. Whether your reaction to TFA was love, hate or meh, it still remains a Star Wars movie through and through. The Star Trek reboots are decidedly NOT Star Trek. They got some of the character beats right, but that's about it. I suppose the comparison is inevitable given that they are both two of the biggest sci-fi/fantasy franchises in the world, and both happen to have been thrown under the management of JJ Abrams, but that doesn't make it valid.

Just as an example, most of the critiques around TFA relate to the opinion that it's too derivative of ANH. Perhaps that's so, but at least it managed to keep the spirit, the energy, the pacing, the character interactions, etc (most of the things that made the original aStar Warsfilm) admirably intact. With Into Darkness, they basically attempted to remake Wrath of Khan, except with that film, they failed miserably. Hell, they even used the same dialog word-for-word in some spots, but it boasted almost none of the power, depth or emotion it had in WoK. Istillget misty-eyed when Spock dies in WoK. The emotional kick to the gut there is completely earned by the film. Kirk "dying" in Into Darkness - even though it happens pretty much exactly the same way as it did for Spock - just makes me roll my eyes. There are plenty of other examples along those same lines. I think a lot has to do with JJ simply not getting Star Trek. By his own admission, he never watched it growing up. On the other hand, he grew up with Star Wars, and had the good sense to partner with Kasdan, Kennedy, et al for TFA.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's the 2nd or 3rd time, i come across a video on youtube, saying that TFA sucks and the prequels were much better.
Maybe that hipster bullshit article about Lucas isn't that bullshit after all....

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's the 2nd or 3rd time, i come across a video on youtube, saying that TFA sucks and the prequels were much better.
Maybe that hipster bullshit article about Lucas isn't that bullshit after all....
Some people just love to be contrary for the sake of it, hiptsterism incarnate. Such folk are also very "look at me" about it, hence the liklihood of a youtube vid and more hits/shares. No one wants to watch 50k nerds make vids on how much they loved a movie. But criticism? That's interesting!

Its kinda like this in a way:

cg4xsZv.jpg