Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Ben Hur is a great comparison. Yeah, and I don't think either one of us would consider Return of the King a bad movie. It's a great movie. But c'mon, we're not going to put Aragon in the same room let alone the same Universe as Daniel Day Lewis. And 5 minutes of The Departed was more powerful in terms of acting and direction than the entirety of most action films.

edit: I just mention that film because I recently re-watched it, and it was better than 95% of the shit I've seen since. And Lewis wasn't in it, but the guy should win every year we don't have an actual nominee.
I agree with you that ROTK did not in any way deserve best picture. It won because they slighted "The Fellowship of the Ring" and the critics knew it. Had The Fellowship won best picture, and Jackson won best director that year, I doubt ROTK would have even been nominated for best picture, let alone win it. I still don't see how any of that has to do why Star Wars: TFA wasn't nominated for any major category. The LOTR movies deserved their nominations, Star Wars doesn't deserve shit, because it was already nominated for 11 Academy Awards the first time they made it, when it was called "A New Hope."

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/0...pisode-ix.html

Wtf?is this guy dumb or he is like JJ and misinform us on purpose?
That article is a fine piece of click bait that tries to operate on the assumption that because Trevorrow said something other than "Ask Rian" then he must be the one doing the reveal. What he said was "we're going to make sure ..." because I'm sure he has input as to what Rian Johnson is writing for Eps 8 & 9 the same way Johnson was allowed to give input to Kasdan and Abrams when they were working on TFA. He made no mention of a reveal in Ep 9.

Caliane

. I still don't see how any of that has to do why Star Wars: TFA wasn't nominated for any major category. The LOTR movies deserved their nominations, Star Wars doesn't deserve shit, because it was already nominated for 11 Academy Awards the first time they made it, when it was called "A New Hope."
YOU are the one that brought it up. No one here said, TFA should have gotten nominations.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
YOU are the one that brought it up. No one here said, TFA should have gotten nominations.
He does seem to be a bit obsessed.

I am a bit surprised at not even any nominations in the major categories though.I was guessing it would be like LotR, where they heap tons of award wins on the last film in the trilogy regardless of whether it earned them or not.
I mean gavin is basically no one.

I am a bit surprised it got the nominations it did. Sound editing? um what. that's for the stellar work of adding in lightsaber noises, and tie fighter vooms in space? Film Editing? that's some kind of joke? Even retard fanbois have to admit that this film has the worst editing ever (editing being the process of cutting down total film that was shot into a coherent, meaningful story. That so much of the original story was cut to remake it a soft reboot of a new hope that the film requires peripheral data such as novelizations, articles, and magazines to provide back story to even explain who the good guys and bad guys are should tell you this film doesn't deserve a fucking oscar nod for editing).

If you are just giving it noms as a courtesy for its box office success it should of gotten the nods for Make up and Hairstyling and perhaps even Production Design in addition to the legit nominations it received for Original Score and Visual Effects.

Royal

It won because they slighted "The Fellowship of the Ring" and the critics knew it.
Yeah sure, 6000 foofy film snobs had a collective episode of buyer's remorse 2 years later. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are categories that those types think should be happy to just be nominated. They almost never win on what they consider their merits as a film. RoTK won as a nod to the process of making a single massive 9 hour movie which is how the trilogy was made.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not saying TFA should win anything one way or the other but it absolutely kills me that the snobbery among critics and the Academy committees give biased to obscurity and deem it brilliance. Sometimes I think they forget movies are intended to entertain and every now and again, regardless of how predictable, shallow, and simple a story and its characters may be go as far to impact an entire culture. That said, i'm not necessarily talking about TFA because its predecessors have already done those things for it but I can think of several times where a movie has been snubbed for some random crap that was supposedly genius.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
in general terms any other year you would of had a point, but when Mad Max, a film that by all logic shouldn't even exist, pulls down 10 nominations including best picture and best director then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Royal

Not saying TFA should win anything one way or the other but it absolutely kills me that the snobbery among critics and the Academy committees give biased to obscurity and deem it brilliance. Sometimes I think they forget movies are intended to entertain and every now and again, regardless of how predictable, shallow, and simple a story and its characters may be go as far to impact an entire culture. That said, i'm not necessarily talking about TFA because its predecessors have already done those things for it but I can think of several times where a movie has been snubbed for some random crap that was supposedly genius.
The biggest snub of recent memory was not nominating Ben Affleck for Best Director for Argo a few years ago. Part of the culture of directors who are involved in the nominating process is a strong bias against actors who still have lots of run left in their acting careers pulling double duty by acting in and directing in the same film. That's supposed to be the province of older actors like Eastwood who only act in their own movies anymore. No director wants to deal with an actor who has an Oscar for Best Director and Affleck was still young enough and a big enough name that some of them could very well find themselves in that boat. So he wasn't even nominated even though Argo was nominated (and won) for Best Picture.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The biggest snub of recent memory was not nominating Ben Affleck for Best Director for Argo a few years ago. Part of the culture of directors who are involved in the nominating process is a strong bias against actors who still have lots of run left in their acting careers pulling double duty by acting in and directing in the same film. That's supposed to be the province of older actors like Eastwood who only act in their own movies anymore. No director wants to deal with an actor who has an Oscar for Best Director and Affleck was still young enough and a big enough name that some of them could very well find themselves in that boat. So he wasn't even nominated even though Argo was nominated (and won) for Best Picture.
Mel Gibson won best director for "Braveheart" and it won best picture as well. So, even if it is rare for actors to win a directing Oscar when starring in the movie, it can happen.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah sure, 6000 foofy film snobs had a collective episode of buyer's remorse 2 years later. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are categories that those types think should be happy to just be nominated. They almost never win on what they consider their merits as a film. RoTK won as a nod to the process of making a single massive 9 hour movie which is how the trilogy was made.
Exactly, and out of that trilogy, The Fellowship was far and away the best of the three, and the one that was most deserving of best picture. ROTK winning was a cumulative nod to Peter Jackson and the films, but it doesn't change the fact that the first movie deserved it, and the last movie shouldn't have even been nominated.

Caliane

For the record, lets look back.

74th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

best picture
A Beautiful Mind - Brian Grazer, Ron Howard<-won
Gosford Park - Robert Altman, Bob Balaban, David Levy
In the Bedroom - Ross Katz, Todd Field, Graham Leader
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Barrie M. Osborne
Moulin Rouge! - Baz Luhrmann, Fred Baron, Martin Brown

Best director
Ron Howard - A Beautiful Mind<- won
Ridley Scott - Black Hawk Down
Robert Altman - Gosford Park
Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
David Lynch - Mulholland Dr.

Fellowship did still get 4 awards. "most awards", and had 13 nominations. "most nominations"

Moulin Rogue won best art direction over Fellowship AND Harry potter and the sorcerers stone. hahah
looking back at that one, I think flash won over substance.
moulin rogue also won best costume design over both. that a bit closer I would admit. but still, probably would say fellowship should have gotten that one.

75th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
two towers.

Best Picture
Chicago - Martin Richards<-won

Gangs of New York - Alberto Grimaldi, Harvey Weinstein
The Hours - Robert Fox, Scott Rudin
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Peter Jackson, Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh
The Pianist - Roman Polanski, Alain Sarde, Robert Benmussa

well Gangs of new york got robbed here.

Best doctor same thing. polanski won with The Pianist. jackson didnt even get a nom this year.

Daniel Day lewis ALSO didnt win best actor.
Chicago had the most awards, and noms this year. lol.

76th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best Picture
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Barrie M. Osborne
Lost in Translation - Sofia Coppola, Ross Katz
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., Peter Weir, Duncan Henderson
Mystic River - Clint Eastwood, Judie C. Hoyt, Robert Lorenz
Seabiscuit - Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Gary Ross

honestly weak year anyway it seems. unless there was something snubbed entirely, forgetting. Lost in Translation only real competition imho. and I'd call it a toss up.
ROTK won all 11 of its nominations...

honestly. finding nemo probably could have won...

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
For the record, lets look back.

74th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

best picture
A Beautiful Mind - Brian Grazer, Ron Howard<-won
Gosford Park - Robert Altman, Bob Balaban, David Levy
In the Bedroom - Ross Katz, Todd Field, Graham Leader
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Barrie M. Osborne
Moulin Rouge! - Baz Luhrmann, Fred Baron, Martin Brown

Best director
Ron Howard - A Beautiful Mind<- won
Ridley Scott - Black Hawk Down
Robert Altman - Gosford Park
Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
David Lynch - Mulholland Dr.

Fellowship did still get 4 awards. "most awards", and had 13 nominations. "most nominations"

Moulin Rogue won best art direction over Fellowship AND Harry potter and the sorcerers stone. hahah
looking back at that one, I think flash won over substance.
moulin rogue also won best costume design over both. that a bit closer I would admit. but still, probably would say fellowship should have gotten that one.

75th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
two towers.

Best Picture
Chicago - Martin Richards<-won

Gangs of New York - Alberto Grimaldi, Harvey Weinstein
The Hours - Robert Fox, Scott Rudin
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Peter Jackson, Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh
The Pianist - Roman Polanski, Alain Sarde, Robert Benmussa

well Gangs of new york got robbed here.

Best doctor same thing. polanski won with The Pianist. jackson didnt even get a nom this year.

Daniel Day lewis ALSO didnt win best actor.
Chicago had the most awards, and noms this year. lol.

76th Academy Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best Picture
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Barrie M. Osborne
Lost in Translation - Sofia Coppola, Ross Katz
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Samuel Goldwyn, Jr., Peter Weir, Duncan Henderson
Mystic River - Clint Eastwood, Judie C. Hoyt, Robert Lorenz
Seabiscuit - Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Gary Ross

honestly weak year anyway it seems. unless there was something snubbed entirely, forgetting. Lost in Translation only real competition imho. and I'd call it a toss up.
ROTK won all 11 of its nominations...

honestly. finding nemo probably could have won...
gangs of new york was a piece of shit.