Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nothing about the story in any Star Wars movie is creative or new. It is a retelling of millenniums old stories, but with Han Solo and blasters.
Star Wars was constructed with heavy influence from Joseph Campbell's ideas regarding the monomyth as well

Monomyth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey, is the common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero who goes on an adventure, and in a decisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes home changed or transformed.[1]

The concept was introduced by Joseph Campbell in The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949), who described the basic narrative pattern as follows:

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.[2]
Both Vader's and Luke's storylines track nearly 1 to 1 with each phase of the 12 step monomyth.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That's... dumb? Avatar sequels were already lined up for Christmas so Disney is chopping their profits 10 days in.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except Avatar 2 will suck, but neither will likely have much other similar competition in that time frame so its probably fine anyway. Its all kids movies and Oscar bait around that time, they'll clean up with this shit. I'm ok with it, one movie a year every Xmas, sounds good to me!

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That's... dumb? Avatar sequels were already lined up for Christmas so Disney is chopping their profits 10 days in.
The summer is full of competition though. Two big tent poles sitting perched over Christmas is a better scenario financially than the middle of summer when you have the studios rolling out their assorted moneymakers every other week. I sure was looking forward to two Star Wars movies coming out in much less than a year apart though.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
vip1icv.png

Malakriss

A white man in a mask seeks directions to find his uncle's secret alone place until a black employee hooks up with a hispanic to find better work, but suffers a setback until he runs into a multi-lingual hipster chick. Masked white man then pursues hipster chick because she's seen the secret place and has a questionable relationship with the uncle. Black man gets owned, hipster chick learns power is awesome.

Cybsled

Avatar 2+ is being made in conjunction with China I believe, which means it will be guaranteed a very lucrative launch in that country.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
The summer is full of competition though. Two big tent poles sitting perched over Christmas is a better scenario financially than the middle of summer when you have the studios rolling out their assorted moneymakers every other week. I sure was looking forward to two Star Wars movies coming out in much less than a year apart though.
I know what you're saying but one a year isn't so bad. We got used to it with LOTR and most of the Harry Potter films took longer between release.
It can be debated whether you think of an episode as a part but it would really rustle my jimmies if they started doing Star Wars Episode 8 Part 1 with a 6 month wait for Part 2.

I'll be interested to see the difference in merchandising between the stand alones and the episodes. They may kick it up a notch with Rogue One now because of the gap.

Fadaar

That guy
That'd only be 2-3 weeks after GOTG2 as it stands right now. Disney releasing two juggernaut sci-fi movies that close together would probably work out fine, but I'm sure their number crunchers are telling them otherwise for a reason.

Malakriss

The movie certainly was, but there was a link to the original script a few years back and it was actually more.. original. Doesn't matter if it's Pocahontas in Space 2: Return to the Woods it will still make a buttload of money and compete, as would Croods 2 and the Untitled Disney Fairy-Tale (2017) [Live Action] the week after Episode 8. More than one thing is moving.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Why did you link that garbage?

I'll skip ahead to the part where Jurassic World is mentioned so posters here can get a sense of the author.
Treverrow?s attempt at rejuvenating the Jurassic Park franchise while commenting on what that means, is an abysmal film. This is due in part to the fact that it?s poorly made, a movie suffering fatally from bad writing, bad performances, and heaps of nonsense. But these issues are exacerbated by the movie?s ideas, which are as incoherent as they are obnoxious, from its ramblings on man?s relationship with nature to, as Atomika will tell you at length if you get her going, the movie?s blatantly offensive sexism