Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm glad you posted the second angle because the first looks like the "I'm fifth on this server" meme.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Xposting Star Wars Rebels news in this thread

MAJOR spoiler: future cameo (rumored)
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/ru...bels-chistory/
I know this one is going make some people heavily doubt the accuracy of the report, but the Expanded Universe is making its way back in to the canon of Star Wars. There is some truth to legends and I think we're about to learn that truth for one classic Star Wars character. I have reason to believe this rumor has serious legs.

I have heard that in Season 3 of Star Wars Rebels we will be introduced to none other than the original blue guy himself, Grand Admiral Thrawn from Heir to the Empire. From the sound of things, we're going to see Thrawn as the tactical genius of capital starship warfare he was to Expanded Universe readers in the '90s. However, this time he will be using his evil brand of genius against the the heroes of the starship Ghost.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
If it was being released as a standalone movie with no intention of it kicking off a new trilogy and there was no baggage from the prequels putting all sorts of demands on it then you could certainly call it lazy. But none of that applies. The intention was to return the franchise to a familiar place before moving it forward and restoring the faith of the bulk of the fans in the notion that Star Wars was worth investing their emotions and imaginations in again. It accomplished both of those things for the vast majority with whom I have spoken and read reactions from.
That is a really lame reason.

Disclaimer I can't deny the avalanche of people that liked this movie, and the money this movie made as well, and I paid to see this as well. But you can say the same for Transformers as well.

I am just rewatching episodes 1 to 6 again (why not!).

And honestly the first 10 mins of Episode 1 has been far more interesting and original than this recent release. I have seen:-
- Three interesting looking space ships.
- A world that looked real and interesting.
- The robots which I think are awesome, and have some real character.
- Costumes.
- And we have already had a couple of fights, and good plot development.
- And two Jedi which I liked straight away

(Yes at 10 mins and 20 odd seconds we see one of the stupidest characters ever Jar Jar.)

This episode 7 is flat, unoriginal and sterile. And only exists to *reference* previous movies.

At least the prequels tried to be epic, and they did have epic characters and scenes to them in a universe that felt alive. Whilst Episode 7 did not have as terrible dialogue as the prequels and characters not as bad, neither did it equal or surpass any scenes or characters from the prequels either.

I could only rate Episode 7 as too much brown. And that is not acceptable for a franchise that is movie royalty imo.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
That is a really lame reason.
It's not lame when you have the responsibility for restarting a damaged franchise for which you've paid $4 billion. If you enjoyed the first 10 minutes of TPM more than the most recent release then you're not gonna fall into the group of people who saw it as damaged, but you're in the minority for whom the franchise moving forward will be unlikely to appeal.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
It's not lame when you have the responsibility for restarting a damaged franchise for which you've paid $4 billion. If you enjoyed the first 10 minutes of TPM more than the most recent release then you're not gonna fall into the group of people who saw it as damaged, but you're in the minority for whom the franchise moving forward will be unlikely to appeal.
That is a massive leap, in fact a giant assumption on your part. And in no way did I communicate what you are saying.

I see the prequels as deeply flawed and damaging movies to the franchise. At the same time I can see that Lucas added some good elements to these, just not enough to save the movies (I enjoy the new races, spaceships and worlds that are created for example).

The problem with Episode 7 is that it adds nothing. It is perfectly safe, totally brown and just meh.

If that is what the franchise offers going forward, then yeah like the Transformers after the first movie I will not be paying to see any more of these movies.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
I am also not trying to be a troll here.. I respect the fact that others like this, but what is it that you actually like about this movie ?

It seems completely devoid of anything a *real* star wars fan would like to me (which is what totally surprises me about how many people like it). No interesting worlds/cultures/space ships/characters. Is Kylo Ren really that interesting/good ?

The best comment I ever read about this is that *at least it is not as bad as the prequels*. That is not really a ringing endorsement of a movie.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I like Rey and Finn's character arcs, from abandoned/enslaved to being good at stuff mechanics/shooting and fighting the empire to their final confrontation with ren and winning/losing. The actors made them really likable and I want to see what happens next with them.
I like Kylo Ren being an unstable asshole and being scared of not living up to Darth Vader. I want to see what happens with him becoming a more complete and powerful villian who is now a larger threat.
I like Poe Dameron just being awesome.

It's not just me. So people like the CHARACTERS in this movie, overwhelmingly I think - you are wrong on that.

Interesting worlds/cultures is more of a prequel thing,they were so dense every frame had so much going onand so fake too. Did anyone ever like Amidala's weird geisha shit? I think that Cloud City is the only thing in the original films like that - otherwise it's desert/forest/artic/swamp/forest planets. I guess you could say that the Tatooine stuff in episode 4 and 6 is better than the Jakku stuff in episode 7 but I liked the whole scavenging through crashed star destroyers which Rey uses later on to escape.

Spaceships are just totally reused yeah, did you really like Naboo fighters that much?

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Talking of the Story, yeah it was very safe and very parallel with Episode IV, but I'm another one who appreciated that, because unlike the prequels, the new characters were amazing, not only in writing, but their chemistry was good too. That is something I haven't seen in a new Star Wars movie in thirty some years, and it was kind of nice to be able to focus solely on them and not have to try to figure out what is going on due to them not wanting to show their whole hand in a 3 part saga. The only real complaints I had was the whole "not another death star!" and I was just not all that impressed with Kylo Ren. However, they have introduced the characters to us in a decently stand alone story arc, and I left the theater satisfied that the whole arc of the trilogy will move on from there. Now if I get Empire Strikes Back reboot in VIII, then I'll be disappointed.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It seems completely devoid of anything a *real* star wars fan would like to me
That's funny, because to me it was the prequels that were devoid of anything a *real" star wars fan would like.

As for reasons why the current movie had stuff that I liked, it had fucking characters that I cared about. Something the prequels didn't have at all (other than Obi-wan).

Kylo Ren was great. It was always going to be really hard for any villain to be compared to the greatest villain of all time. I thought it was great that the villain we got knew that also. Finn and Rey were awesome also. I felt very connected with them and can't wait to see more of their story. While we didn't see that much of Po, hell, even in the short time we did I still cared about him more than anyone in the prequels outside of Ben.

Basically, go fuck yourself for deciding that *real* star wars fans only care about worlds/space ships. You sound like the perfect fan Lucas was trying to cater to with all his stupid ass toys he sandwiched in the prequels. I'm sure you have all the dumb ships and podracers and crap. Good for you. Now move the fuck on and grow up.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
I liked Finn and Rey as well. And what they do with these characters has interest for me.

Obviously I am on the special bus when it comes to getting this movie, so I will leave it at that.

I did like the Naboo fighters actually, and I don't own any Star Wars toys, Curtains, Bed Sheets or pajamas either.

Cybsled

The Naboo fighters always reminded me of the drones that came out of the Protoss Carriers ;p

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
However you spell it, its shit. The "new races" from Star Wars just consist of one racial caricature after another, and not one of them were good.
It's not me, it's George. In the movie, they are spelled "gungans". But in the making of, george refers them as "gungas" lol
But yeah....they are shit, michael bay racial caricature shit.

Jive Turkey

Karen
And honestly the first 10 mins of Episode 1 has been far more interesting and original than this recent release. I have seen:-
- Three interesting looking space ships.
- A world that looked real and interesting.
- The robots which I think are awesome, and have some real character.
- Costumes.
- And we have already had a couple of fights, and good plot development.
- And two Jedi which I liked straight away
Yikes.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly they could have used a couple new starfighters or something in TFA, I can see what he means that they just went X-wing/tie/star destroyer/falcon with no movement forward. It doesn't break the movie for me but its a fairly valid point. Saying the trade federation doughnut battle stations and the Naboo Liberace dildo fighters were interesting I would take issue with however.

They did update the Ties and X's a bit though, I felt the Ties especially were a bit more real and warlike. The tie hanger scene was well done IMO and the glimpse inside the piloting of it with Poe and Finn was fun and an interesting new take on the vehicle. I've always been a big Y-wing fan though, so it is a bit disappointing that the entire resistance fighter squad was just X-wings. But X-wings are awesome and they obviously wanted to play it a little overly safe and adhere to what they know would hit the right buttons.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Take another look at the X-wings in TFA compared to those in the original trilogy.
The TIE fighters too, for that matter.