Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Cybsled

All I got from that was "derpy derp, movie sucked, y it make so much money??" lol

I am interested to see how Avatar 2 and onward do The IP is basically on ice, more or less, without the films. However, that isn't a sequel killer or IP killer if the last major use of the IP was well received. It played well across gender lines and its themes played very well internationally and domestically.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
She ran in high heels, thus Anita Sarkeesian has informed us all that it is sexist and we should feel bad.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well it does raise her butt and pop her chest out a bit by wearing heels. Heels are, after all, a symptom of women's inner patriarchy.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
That'd only be 2-3 weeks after GOTG2 as it stands right now. Disney releasing two juggernaut sci-fi movies that close together would probably work out fine, but I'm sure their number crunchers are telling them otherwise for a reason.
Yea, they put Pirates of the Carribean XXIX or something in that slot to feel the trail exhaust of GotG2, which shows utter confidence.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
y

From my perspective the prequels were better than TFA but only because Lucas created something, a story that was the prequels. I love the way they look, the jedi council stuff and even the story of Anakin turning which was much better in the book. Yoda alone is worth some credibility.

That said, the acting and dialogue is fucking terrible outside of Ewan Mcgregor, Yoda, emperor. Hayden Christansen just sucked ass.

From my perspective TFA was not a creative or new story at all, it was Episode IV, with things that annoyed ppl removed. Well sure, if your version of new star wars is "same story, but without things that annoyed me" then sure, it makes sense ppl would love it.

But it is still a hollywood rehash of EP IV. I hope they take a new turn in 8.. if its like we realize that Ren and the chick are brother and sister, i am going to leave the fucking theater.
I hate you.

I'll give you something in that it's probably harder to create something amazing that explains the origins or beginnings of shit that is so beloved, versus deciding where they go after the fact. Sky was the limit for Abrams and co, whereas no matter what Lucas and friends did, they had to end up at the original trilogy.

That said though, the story was fucking retarded. The best way I can put it was that they took the magic out; it literally felt like instead of giving us more star wars, they were a magician explaining the tricks. Midichlorians play a part in the force, vader was a whiny bitch etc. The Vader in the prequels and the one in the originals don't meet up anywhere in my head. They are two different people.

That doesn't mean that everything super sucked. A lot of it did, but the clone wars are some of my absolute favorite stuff in the star wars universe. (Darman for life, yo, though I didn't enjoy the movie stuff as much as the book stuff.)

I loved it because it brought back the old nostalgia; we take for granted what the originals were like the first time seeing them, and all the unexplained, OMG WHAT A COINCIDENCE shit that happened in them that we talk to death in the new one.

But prequels better than TFA? Are you out of your mind?

I can understand liking them; I have a friend super nutty into star wars and while he didn't love them, they were more star wars, and he loves it, and more knowledge about the universe was a good thing to him. I can understand that and agree with that.

But it didn't have to be shit. The EU was extensive, even then, and while not all of the EU was amazing, there were some downright awesome stories that showed Lucas didn't have to fuck it so royally.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I hate you.

I'll give you something in that it's probably harder to create something amazing that explains the origins or beginnings of shit that is so beloved, versus deciding where they go after the fact. Sky was the limit for Abrams and co, whereas no matter what Lucas and friends did, they had to end up at the original trilogy.

That said though, the story was fucking retarded. The best way I can put it was that they took the magic out; it literally felt like instead of giving us more star wars, they were a magician explaining the tricks. Midichlorians play a part in the force, vader was a whiny bitch etc. The Vader in the prequels and the one in the originals don't meet up anywhere in my head. They are two different people.

That doesn't mean that everything super sucked. A lot of it did, but the clone wars are some of my absolute favorite stuff in the star wars universe. (Darman for life, yo, though I didn't enjoy the movie stuff as much as the book stuff.)

I loved it because it brought back the old nostalgia; we take for granted what the originals were like the first time seeing them, and all the unexplained, OMG WHAT A COINCIDENCE shit that happened in them that we talk to death in the new one.

But prequels better than AFW? Are you out of your mind?

I can understand liking them; I have a friend super nutty into star wars and while he didn't love them, they were more star wars, and he loves it, and more knowledge about the universe was a good thing to him. I can understand that and agree with that.

But it didn't have to be shit. The EU was extensive, even then, and while not all of the EU was amazing, there were some downright awesome stories that showed Lucas didn't have to fuck it so royally.
The biggest problem with the prequels (other than the fact that they sucked) is there was absolutely no way to build any suspense into them. No matter what, you knew Obi Wan and Anakin had to live, and that Anakin was going to join the dark side and become Vader. Even if Lucas put the two of them into the most impossible scenario of all time, you knew that they had to survive it. It's like watching a sporting event after already knowing the outcome.

The problem with TFA, is that they could've taken the story literally in any direction they wanted, but instead decided to cop-out and just redo "A New Hope" and pray that people would be stupid enough to not realize that it was the exact same movie (which a majority of the populace were).

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The biggest problem with the prequels (other than the fact that they sucked) is there was absolutely no way to build any suspense into them. No matter what, you knew Obi Wan and Anakin had to live, and that Anakin was going to join the dark side and become Vader. Even if Lucas put the two of them into the most impossible scenario of all time, you knew that they had to survive it. It's like watching a sporting event after already knowing the outcome.

The problem with TFA, is that they could've taken the story literally in any direction they wanted, but instead decided to cop-out and just redo "A New Hope" and pray that people would be stupid enough to not realize that it was the exact same movie (which a majority of the populace were).
The entire deal was intentional. It wasnt "so people wouldnt notice". It was to make the majority of people satisfied that these next set of movies will be good. Goddamn son.

spronk

FPS noob
The Voices of Star Wars: The Force Awakens | StarWars.com

Stormtrooper: "Check over there." "Fan out!" "Copy that, 1138." - James Arnold Taylor and Sam Witwer

Red Eyed Sand Alien (watching BB-8 roll away): "Kojima." - Robert Stambler

Snoke...
Snoke...
Snoke...
SNAKE?

h7TR2sL.jpg

LadyVex_sl

shitlord

TFA mirroring ANH was one of the best things about it for me. I get that you could consider it a cop out, but it was so tied to how I felt about the original trilogy and star wars in general that it just felt good. And it's a new era for Star Wars, so following the same storyline didnt feel as terrible considering we are setting the stage for new characters.

I actually think far more people realized it was a mimick, then those that did not. I walked out thinking, Omg it was so much like ANH! Then got home and hopped on comms and everyone else was saying the same. And they were all stoked about it.

I mean yea, I guess you can call it lazy if you want to, except that it was meant to invoke the nostalgia and do it in a good way.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I mean yea, I guess you can call it lazy if you want to, except that it was meant to invoke the nostalgia and do it in a good way.
If it was being released as a standalone movie with no intention of it kicking off a new trilogy and there was no baggage from the prequels putting all sorts of demands on it then you could certainly call it lazy. But none of that applies. The intention was to return the franchise to a familiar place before moving it forward and restoring the faith of the bulk of the fans in the notion that Star Wars was worth investing their emotions and imaginations in again. It accomplished both of those things for the vast majority with whom I have spoken and read reactions from.