Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They didn't? Pretty sure they did... Where does it say they didn't?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Having read a bunch of theories/spoilers/leaks and shit over the past few weeks I'm just going to go and say that If anything I've read turns out to be even half true, I think I'm going to love the new films.

But probably the best thing I've read in all of that is the statement that JJ hates Lucas for "murdering" the Prequels and is damned sure he isn't going to repeat the same mistake Lucas did.

I'm also very happy that practically everything seems to point to the original cast, with the exception of Mark Hamil, seem to be in a minor/supporting role and will probably be mostly written out in the later movies. I.e. there will be a new cast to continue the story, and that cast seems pretty good. That's the party line I've decided to go for and aim to stick to it right up until I walk out of that theatre in a years time either cheering or crying - or both.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think the movies would be exponentially better if Han and Luke have vital roles in the new movies. Luke could take on the role of Obi-wan; still a badass but instilling wisdom and teaching the force to a new character. And you could have Han Solo kinda be like Beowulf; going out in a blaze of glory in one last hurrah to prove once again that he's a legend. Unfortunately, it'll probably be the other way. We'll get Han, Luke, Chewy, and Leia in just small cameo roles as static, uninspired new characters take their place as the leads and will wind up being as forgettable as the leads in the prequels. I hope I'm wrong.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
He's a new actor to the franchise. So he's either:

A) Replacing an actor who has died.
B) Replacing an actor who is not age appropriate.
C) Playing an established film character who has never actually appeared in them.
D) Deputing an entirely new character as far as the films are concerned.

My money is on D at this point. On it's face, it seems the most probable.

It's also clear he has a ship. He's in the cockpit in space inthispicture, which looks like it would be the cockpit of the ship parked at the AT-AT shack inthisstill shot, based on the support framing. It makes me wonder why Han would have to go to Tatooine to take all of them to Yavin, as the source claimed.
Isn't that the bridge of a Star Destroyer?
ksw_01.jpg

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I think the movies would be exponentially better if Han and Luke have vital roles in the new movies. Luke could take on the role of Obi-wan; still a badass but instilling wisdom and teaching the force to a new character. And you could have Han Solo kinda be like Beowulf; going out in a blaze of glory in one last hurrah to prove once again that he's a legend. Unfortunately, it'll probably be the other way. We'll get Han, Luke, Chewy, and Leia in just small cameo roles as static, uninspired new characters take their place as the leads and will wind up being as forgettable as the leads in the prequels. I hope I'm wrong.
I'd like to see Han going out in a blaze of glory too, but from what I've heard that isn't what they have in mind. The thing I don't want is a repeat of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Scull-Fuck. Both actors and script writers need to know when and how to use a 30+ year old character. Ford is in his 70s now and it's just not believable that he's still up to his old ways, unless he knows that himself and, as you say, goes on a suicide run in a blaze of glory. Luke is better, as he is younger and I think he would be pretty awesome as a Obi-Wan character. Give him a decent part in the first two films, then killed early on in the third but help the "new" Luke as a ghost like Yoda and Obi-Wan did after they died.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Part 4of the spoiler. Supposedly much of Part 3, including the fake scripts, were from someone posing at the inside guy.
rolleyes.png

Isn't that the bridge of a Star Destroyer?
Yeah they look similar, the artwork looked to be a smaller compartment to me. Could be either.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Same config as the beginning of Empire Strikes Back. Looks like the bridge of a Super Star Destroyer

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They didn't? Pretty sure they did... Where does it say they didn't?
The books. There was one called Darth Plagueis that covered it pretty well. They felt it was antiquated and unnecessary and was the reason the sith hadn't been able to beat the jedi for thousands of years. They needed more manpower. They both felt they were better than all the sith before them and could handle expanding their numbers.

But even looking at the movies, you see in jedi where the emporer and vader are planning to bring luke in and rule the galaxy together. Granted, they both had hidden plans to kill off the other one, but they weren't saying that to each other.

Less obvious from the movies is how palpatine had his apprentice maul while plagueis was still alive. Plagueis knew about him. Palpatine was also grooming anakin while he had dooku as his apprentice.

And from the new cartoon that I haven't seen yet, supposedly inquisitors are a big part of it, and they are force users. You can argue that they don't count because they're not learning the true supersecret sith stuff.

j00t

I just took it as that they KNEW they would try to kill the other one. It was common knowledge for the rule of two.

Wasnt plageous dead by the phantom menace? Also, when Vader talks to Luke about joining him, its under the stipulation that they kill the emperor. Same with palpatine apprenticing Luke. Its under the stipulation that Luke kill vader first.

I didn't read Darth plageous so maybe you're right I just didn't see those points as definitive

Royal

I just took it as that they KNEW they would try to kill the other one. It was common knowledge for the rule of two.

Wasnt plageous dead by the phantom menace? Also, when Vader talks to Luke about joining him, its under the stipulation that they kill the emperor. Same with palpatine apprenticing Luke. Its under the stipulation that Luke kill vader first.

I didn't read Darth plageous so maybe you're right I just didn't see those points as definitive
That's the same impression I had from the original trilogy. It was certainly implied.

j00t

Wookiepedia says Darth plageous hated the rule of two but not sidious

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
But in the EU, wouldn't Sidious be trying to break the Rule of Two by creating clones and transferring his essence into them, as to live forever?

j00t

No, that's not the rule of two. The rule is just that there's only one master and one apprentice. If he clones himself or transfers his essence, he still has to be either a master or an apprentice. Its not about training someone to kill you, though that's implied.

Siliconemelons

Vader "We will rule as father and son" - we kill emp palpy

Palpy "Join me Luke" - kill your dad, lulz screw you Vader! time to get a new apprentice before you kill me! *you know, like I did Maul...and Dooku...and if force unleashed is canon- WHY I got super pissed when you took an apprentice

Thus- Vader is like Oh snap! time to kill empy!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
As I said, that may have been their secret plans, but when they spoke to each other, they said it would be all 3 of them.

Emperor: The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would be a powerful ally.
Emperor: Yes. Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
Darth Vader: He will join us or die, my master.

Neither believed in the rule of 2, the difference is that plageuis thought there could be 2 masters acting as equals. Sidious wanted to be the master and thought he could have multiple apprentices. Sidious also liked to play lip service to it to manipulate others.

Royal

I took "join us" to mean in the Dark side, where each of them had their own idea of what the next step would entail.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I took it to mean Lucas thought that rule of two shit up for the prequels and it didn't exist at the time of RotJ.

ohkcrlho

There is a problem when you try to connect the dots using shit from the prequels.
Just...Just...don't do that, it will hurt your brain