Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The royal guards block lightsaber attacks with their armor that later on in the same fight doesn't block lightsaber attacks ....

i missed that

what about in the very beginng of A New Hope when Ben says "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" and then the movie proceeds to show Stormtroopers missing every thing they shoot at?

again, even the original trilogy falls apart at that level of scrutiny.

just sit back and enjoy it guys.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
oh man, why did Luke have to throw a skull at the button when he was trapped in the Rancor pit at Jabba's palace, when he could have used the force? immersion ruined, i want my money back

Stop trolling, you're bad at it.

i am not trolling.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Didn't they have those electric lighsaber proof things on their gauntlets and that's what they were blocking with?
Nope, I very specifically watched for it when I went the second time.

I hope that I am wrong though, I am going to download a cam rip of it later just to clip out some screenshots because that entire scene bothered me so badly.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I do have a complaint about that scene -- each guard having a different weapon was obviously an excuse to make more toys.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Let's talk about some of the really great scenes from the movie.

One that gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling and really put me in the Christmas spirit was Finn exclaiming that he had no regrets.... about freeing the alien race horses.

• 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
i missed that

what about in the very beginng of A New Hope when Ben says "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise" and then the movie proceeds to show Stormtroopers missing every thing they shoot at?

again, even the original trilogy falls apart at that level of scrutiny.

just sit back and enjoy it guys.

oh man, why did Luke have to throw a skull at the button when he was trapped in the Rancor pit at Jabba's palace, when he could have used the force? immersion ruined, i want my money back

i am not trolling.

So ignore all the ridiculous bullshit in the movie. Talk to me about how movies with a designed sequel end. Just work with that. Focus on the future plot line strings that they built up our anticipation of.

They have no threads, no pokers in the fire.

There are 15 rebels left and there are thousands and thousands of order left.
The rebels have one YT-1300 freighter and the order has hundreds of star destroyers and fighters left.

Snoke? Dead.
Rey's parents? Nobody.
Luke? Dead.
Super Duper Snokinator Destroyer? Gone.
Entire rebel fleet? Gone.

So here are the threads left that are supposed to entice us for the next movie.

Do the chubby Asian and the Black kid hook up? Were we lied to about Rey's parents? Does this even matter? It doesn't to me. How does Leia die?

That is absolutely it. We can't anticipate anything else because there aren't any threads left. Oh maybe some kids grow up to join the rebellion in 15 years. I would not be shocked that the opening crawl for episode 9 is 15 YEARS LATER .....

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so your complaint there is that they didn't leave enough dangling threads to make an interesting cliffhanger? valid complaint i suppose, it is part two of a trilogy, but i think you mean Kylo Ren also isn't an enticing villain to you?

The rebels have one YT-1300 freighter and the order has hundreds of star destroyers and fighters left.

there are other rebels still out there. this movie was just about one group of rebels. when they got to the base they tried radioing to the other Rebels, remember? and the other Rebels didn't show up because there was too much heat from The First Order, they didn't want to just throw more people into a slaughter.

i'm not sure if it applies to you in particular, a_skeleton_03, but i think that if Luke hadn't died people would be a lot happier with this movie.

• 2Picard

Jive Turkey

Karen
Let's talk about some of the really great scenes from the movie.

One that gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling and really put me in the Christmas spirit was Finn exclaiming that he had no regrets.... about freeing the alien race horses.

On my second viewing, that might've been the low point of the movie "It was worth it though; wrecking stuff and making them hurt" ugh

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from seeing it earlier tonight, and the best way I could describe how I feel about it is that the movie was an almost 3 hour long filler episode.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
re: Snoke's limited role... Palpatine was barely in the original trilogy, too.

• 3Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
So ignore all the ridiculous bullshit in the movie. Talk to me about how movies with a designed sequel end. Just work with that. Focus on the future plot line strings that they built up our anticipation of.

They have no threads, no pokers in the fire.

Snoke? Dead.
Rey's parents? Nobody.
Luke? Dead.
Super Duper Snokinator Destroyer? Gone.
Entire rebel fleet? Gone.

So here are the threads left that are supposed to entice us for the next movie.

Do the chubby Asian and the Black kid hook up? Were we lied to about Rey's parents? Does this even matter? It doesn't to me. How does Leia die?

That is absolutely it. We can't anticipate anything else because there aren't any threads left. Oh maybe some kids grow up to join the rebellion in 15 years. I would not be shocked that the opening crawl for episode 9 is 15 YEARS LATER .....

Ya, even if you found the movie enjoyable (me), this is pretty undeniable. I don't know what Rian Johnson's background is as far as fandom goes, but it felt a bit like he didn't give enough respect to the universe or to the trilogy as a whole. A lot of the decisions just seemed like "oh, you thought we were going to do this? NOPE!" with no regard to what that meant to the arc of the series. If I was JJ I'd be a bit pissed, but I'm sure he had to give the go-ahead.

• 1Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
re: Snoke's limited role... Palpatine was barely in the original trilogy, too.

But Palpatine was at least a bit of an ominous presence through the whole thing. Kylo doesn't have the chops to be the big baddie and Hux certainly doesn't.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
People complaining about Snokes background forget, we didn't know shit about Palps at the end of the OT. You literally know nothing about him, where he is from etc. In fact even the name Palpatine was not revealed in the movies but on a toy that came out after. He was simply "the emperor"

• 2Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
so your complaint there is that they didn't leave enough dangling threads to make an interesting cliffhanger? valid complaint i suppose, it is part two of a trilogy, but i think you mean Kylo Ren also isn't an enticing villain to you?

there are other rebels still out there. this movie was just about one group of rebels. when they got to the base they tried radioing to the other Rebels, remember? and the other Rebels didn't show up because there was too much heat from The First Order, they didn't want to just throw more people into a slaughter.

i'm not sure if it applies to you in particular, a_skeleton_03, but i think that if Luke hadn't died people would be a lot happier with this movie.
I think Luke had to die. His death and his acting were the only good things about this movie.

Of course Kylo isn’t a good enough standalone villain.

No there aren’t other rebels. They very specifically said that they had “allies” in the outer rim. When they were completely stuck in the base nobody responded. You think now that there are only 15 people left those allies are going to come out of the wood work? You think 15 people left is going to convince people that they aren’t throwing people to the slaughter? If so that is beyond terrible writing. Especially now that everyone knows that the great Jedi master is dead. Oh wait there’s a young girl who can use the force but has no training and nobody to teach her. But Luke used to be like that also, oh yeah even his own rebels called him a moron for that and didn’t trust him.

I don’t think you know anything about movies themselves. I hated the prequels BUT they did a great job of enticing you to the next movie. They had some flaws but overall weren’t that bad, just not for me. TFA was good, this movie though even when we ignore all the disaster inside the movie did an absolutely terrible job of being the middle movie in a planned trilogy.

Kid with a broom and a ring is the biggest thread they have going .... 15 years later!

• 1Solidarity

Jive Turkey

Karen
People complaining about Snokes background forget, we didn't know shit about Palps at the end of the OT. You literally know nothing about him, where he is from etc. In fact even the name Palpatine was not revealed in the movies but on a toy that came out after. He was simply "the emperor"

I didn't even know he was anything but "The Emperor" until the prequels came out. Then I felt like I somehow missed his name all those years.

Maybe Snoke will take on a Boba Fett like quality now that he's gone and we don't know anything about him. Unless Lucas makes a "Snoke the teenage years" prequel in a decade or two and fucking ruins it