What I took away from the movie was this:

1513230862954.jpg

Seriously, WTF is this shit?

• 3Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Still the best Star Wars 'movie' to have come out in the last decade. I needed to watch this straight after TLJ so to get it that POS out of my head.

Why oh why, why, WHY can't Disney just adapted TOR into a new SW bunch of movies instead? The writing in it is miles better than what we have seen in the new SW movies so far. Just copy the scenes in the animation frame for frame and expand on it to print money.

Fuck you Disney.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I'm not sure that it can be said they're out of touch with the broader, general audience. A couple of the audience score metrics like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic show very deep divisions while IMDB shows it to be less so. But the metric that the industry itself uses to determine how positive word of mouth is coming out of the opening weekend (Cinemascore) shows it to be even more popular still with audiences.

But all of those metrics have their particular shortcomings. RT, Meta, and IMDB are all prone to brigading (in either direction, positive and negative). Cinemascore has stronger bonafides but it's a much narrower snapshot than the others. The most reliable indicator at the end of the day is the box office itself. That's predictably strong so far but it's still early yet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is one thing that everyone in this thread agrees on. Their kids loved it.

I'm pretty sure that's what Disney wanted. They probably even asked Rian Johnson to write a script for kids, not for adults. You hook the kids and the parents have to go see it anyway AND you sell more toys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
okay, one thing i really didn't like -- most of the humor was okay by me, but having Rei's lightsaber smack her in the face in the middle of that tense scene in Snoke's throne room was awful.

This is how I know you're either trolling or a moron.

That wasn't a comedic bit, that was Snoke smacking her like a bitch for her insolence. She thought she was clever by taking the lightsaber from him with the force and he took it back and smacked her like a puppy with a newspaper.

That fight was one of the legit Star Wars moments in the movie, aside from Schrodinger's Lightsaber-proof armor.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Khane

No, he's right about that being pointless comedic relief. Every scene that could have been dramatic and powerful was dumbed down with unnecessary comic relief. Every. Single. One.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I just thought of a perfect example that proves why people hating this film has nothing to do with fans hating drastic change. Fans of Zelda are diehard too, some of them are more diehard than some Star Wars Fans, and it's almost as old as Star Wars. Breath of the Wild was DRASTICALLY different from any other Zelda game, and yet 99 out of 100 diehard fans of Zelda loved it. Guess why? Oh, because it was fucking good.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
lol have we really gotten to the point that people are bitching about the way they use the all caps in the opening crawl?

uh, THE RESISTANCE has nothing to do with the caps. Back in OT, it was called THE REBELLION. Why do you think they changed it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
This just goes to show how out of fucking touch Disney is with its audience.

View attachment 158158

Haha that is hilarious. Puzzling over its mysterious. You got that right. So many mysteries. What brand of hair dye does Admiral Random use? What kind of Touch of Grey beard dye did Luke use before projecting himself to Leia? Will stableboy get a better broom? What does blue water taste like? Now that Rey has seen Kylo without his shirt off, while Kylo see Rey in the middle of changing her tampon?

That wasn't a comedic bit, that was Snoke smacking her like a bitch for her insolence. She thought she was clever by taking the lightsaber from him with the force and he took it back and smacked her like a puppy with a newspaper.

That fight was one of the legit Star Wars moments in the movie, aside from Schrodinger's Lightsaber-proof armor.

Lol exactly. That wasn't supposed to be funny. The fact that you automatically assumed it was a punchline because it was a headblow is idiotic. He was flexing, which makes his dumb death even more dumb, because his flexing was well done.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure that it can be said they're out of touch with the broader, general audience. A couple of the audience score metrics like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic show very deep divisions while IMDB shows it to be less so. But the metric that the industry itself uses to determine how positive word of mouth is coming out of the opening weekend (Cinemascore) shows it to be even more popular still with audiences.

But all of those metrics have their particular shortcomings. RT, Meta, and IMDB are all prone to brigading (in either direction, positive and negative). Cinemascore has stronger bonafides but it's a much narrower snapshot than the others. The most reliable indicator at the end of the day is the box office itself. That's predictably strong so far but it's still early yet.

That they expect word of mouth to push this movie is complete bullshit. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had the same or similar opinions, "See it because it's Star Wars, but don't expect it to be good Star Wars." To me that's not a promotion of the film, it's just that everyone's going to see it just because it's Star Wars, and shows the insane draw of the brand. They could release a three hour film of Luke Skywalker taking a heaping dump on Chewbacca's head and it would break box office records. It in no way is a testament to how good the movie is.

Royal

uh, THE RESISTANCE has nothing to do with the caps. Back in OT, it was called THE REBELLION. Why do you think they changed it?

To distinguish it from the Rebellion because it's not the same sort of movement. The Rebellion was an uprising from within the Galactic Empire against it's own government. The Resistance was a movement within the New Republic in opposition to an external threat.

At the end of TLJ they took up the name of The Rebellion again because the First Order had clearly overturned the New Republic.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

You really didn't get a slapstick vibe from that?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
To distinguish it from the Rebellion because it's not the same sort of movement. The Rebellion was an uprising from within the Galactic Empire against it's own government. The Resistance was a movement within the New Republic in opposition to an external threat.

At the end of TLJ they took up the name of The Rebellion again because the First Order had clearly overturned the New Republic.

Xl9QEAw.jpg

Opinion | The Year in Resistance

Rl-Qr3LY.jpg

0180ff4506ef1861b353e0e99a30bab5.jpg

tresis.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Also, Breath of the Wild had quite a few flaws that usual Zelda games exceptionally excel at. This includes music and dungeons. According to the logic of people defending Star Wars, we should hate Breath of the Wild too, since our usual expectations were shattered and the primary things Zelda is known for were not only not present, but were mostly bad. (music plays a large role in every game and you're often given an instrument and Koji Kondo is a god but was never present in Breath of the Wild... there are like 3 amazing tracks in BoW, the rest of the music is very, very mediocre). And then aside from our usual expectations and usual things Zelda excels at, there were other things the game sucked at. Story and voice acting are just two, there are plenty of others.

Why did people still LOVE Breath of the Wild?

Because it was FUCKING GOOD. We could have loved Star Wars too, even if it was drastically different and our expectations weren't met, as long as it was still good.

It wasn't.

• 4Solidarity

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I'm pretty sure that's what Disney wanted. They probably even asked Rian Johnson to write a script for kids, not for adults. You hook the kids and the parents have to go see it anyway AND you sell more toys.
This is what I expected so I wasn't really surprised with most of the film, I just didn't expect all the mysteries to be a waste of time and the story to be such a mess. You've got your toy options, one person of each ethnicity, goofy shit everywhere and a handful of morality tales repeated throughout the film. Its like a movie by committee made to not exclude or offend anyone. I don't watch a bunch of Disney films but I bet they all use the same formula.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

Stupid little fuckers. I guess when you have a thousand different movies to watch and can watch anything with a click and there are a million types of entertainment, you don't need to be picky and you don't need something that makes you think about the world and want to delve more into it and explore it and wonder about other parts of the world.

This is what I expected so I wasn't really surprised with most of the film, I just didn't expect all the mysteries to be a waste of time and the story to be such a mess. You've got your toy options, one person of each ethnicity, goofy shit everywhere and a handful of morality tales repeated throughout the film. Its like a movie by committee made to not exclude or offend anyone. I don't watch a bunch of Disney films but I bet they all use the same formula.

Except they were pussies about that and didn't even go all out anyways. You know they wanted to make Leia and Purple Admiral kiss, but they wussed out. Not that I liked that shit, it was really forced and out of nowhere and I hate every single thing about Purple Admiral.

Also if they wanted to even try to convince us of Luke's moment of weakness drawing his saber on Kylo, which also makes no sense because he could have just instantly killed him using the force to block an artery or whatever which would have been less visceral and hard on Luke's emotions than drawing a fucking lightsaber. But they could have shown us Luke's visions and shown luke hardcore torture, or alluded to it, and other evil things such as people making money, and then we'd have at least understood a tiny bit, but again they wussed out.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Just a random thought..

The prequels have a better story than this film.

--

This film has no story. Literally none. No Character progression, No Story progression, No expansion of the lore/universe/etc. It's SMALL and defeatist. Just shows everyone losing - including the bad guys.

--

I think the idea of this movie was to setup Leia to be the ultimate savior/victor at the end of this saga... Problem is, beyond the RL circumstances, is that this movie does an incredibly poor job setting it up.

What I would have done is started the film with the resistance having an increased presence & more victories (explained in the opening crawl or just show some quick scenes of planets being "freed" or whatever). They have a larger force, more allies, and everything going their way.

The climax should have been Snoke & Kylo coming down and using the dark side/Knights of Ren to deal serious blows to the Resistance and pushing them to their brink. Luke isn't really involved at this point, he's actually training Rey and explains her TRUE past. And he's not emo Luke at all. We get hints of that young Luke again, the one that always had a positive outlook and was willing to see the good in everyone.

The ending could be Leia captured (mimicking ESB where Han is captured), maybe actually confronting her son in person, causing him some deep conflict. We can see some progression of her Force sensitivity, or whatever.

A final climatic battle would need to involve Luke somehow, I'd pit him against the Knights of Ren. He defeats them but Kylo/Snoke escape and still have Leia.

Luke goes after them.

Ending scrawl.

---

Then Ep 9 is Luke unleashing hell to save his sister.

• 4Like

Khane

I agree. This movie was actually worse than the prequels.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

Royal

That they expect word of mouth to push this movie is complete bullshit. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had the same or similar opinions, "See it because it's Star Wars, but don't expect it to be good Star Wars." To me that's not a promotion of the film, it's just that everyone's going to see it just because it's Star Wars, and shows the insane draw of the brand. They could release a three hour film of Luke Skywalker taking a heaping dump on Chewbacca's head and it would break box office records. It in no way is a testament to how good the movie is.

WOM is the strongest driver of turnout after brand affection and the marketing had done it's thing. And I never said the box office was an indicator of how good a movie is, which is highly subjective. I said it's the most reliable indicator of audience satisfaction. Yes brand affection can get a movie a lot of run, but it's not infinitely powerful. It can be eroded to the point that it becomes a problem, especially when you're spending north of $200 million on your movies like Lucasfilm does. If you start seeing week-to-week drops over 55% - 60% or so the first 3 weeks in then it's a good bet it's because the core fans aren't repeat viewing and everyone else is telling their friends, family, and coworkers not to bother.

Last edited: